Mounts for OEM side bags

My main reasons for going with the FJ bags is the fact they are thinner then the bars so I can lane split no problem, I think they look best, when removed there is not a huge bracket hanging and to save time doing the deal I just picked factory parts. If I were to do it again I would pick the givi dolomiti cases being as they are top loaded. Now that I have used the factory ones for awhile Convenience of taking stuff out and loading it up trumps everything I listed.

http://shadusa.com/wp/archives/categories/cases 
Many of us have and like the Shad 36 side bags. Delivery has been a bit drawn out occasionally though.

I don't see the FJ09 on their list of specified bikes. Which bags are people using and how much does it add to the total width of the bike? 
Sorry for the double post, haven't figured out how to multiquote yet.
http://www.shadonline.com/shad-side-case-support-brackets-Yamaha-FJ-09-p/y0mt95if.htm 
It adds about 1 inch compared to the width of the handlebars. But, they hold a full face helmet - the stockers don't.

Do you plan on doing high speeds on the Calif. freeways and deserts? 
High speed wobble maybe above 100 while shifting or on a bad road surface.

The Givi, Shad and the FJR sidebags will add width, so unless you have comfort with 37" or so while lane sharing, you might look at the FJ side bags which will save you about 4". Now, since the handlebars are 38" wide, i think, you might want to just get used to the width and go with it. I don't have any problem lane sharing with the FJR bags or putting along at 95 for that matter.
Come to think of it, no.  The entire commute is on 8 lane highways and most of the time I'll be in the diamond (HOV, whatever they call it in other places) lane.  If traffic is light, I'd like to be able to put along at 95 with the bags partially loaded without having to be paranoid about wobble. If traffic is heavy, I'd like to be able to split lanes comfortably at 35-40 without being paranoid about the bags catching something.   
Maybe I'll look into used factory cases. I mostly want the cases to store my riding gear in when I'm off the bike. I don't want to be lugging around my heavy ass jacket and riding pants all day at work. The helmet doesn't have to go in the case as long as there's room for the helmet to lock onto the bike with whatever cases also securely attached.  Soft bags wouldn't be out of the question if there was a way to lock them and lock them to the bike.

My main reasons for going with the FJ bags is the fact they are thinner then the bars so I can lane split no problem, I think they look best, when removed there is not a huge bracket hanging and to save time doing the deal I just picked factory parts. If I were to do it again I would pick the givi dolomiti cases being as they are top loaded. Now that I have used the factory ones for awhile Convenience of taking stuff out and loading it up trumps everything I listed.
this is exactly why I wanted the stock cases too.  I have the same concerns with lane splitting and fugly 3rd party brackets and extra weight from those.  I'll be using the bags mostly for storing riding gear while I'm off the bike at work, so I hadn't thought about top vs side loading.  Do you find getting your riding jacket/pants/etc into and out of the factory bags is a hassle while they're attached to the bike?  Also, can you still lock your helmet to the bike with the bags on? 
Also, also--do you want to sell me your cases if you're thinking about swapping them for the Givis? (you can pm me about this) :D

this is exactly why I wanted the stock cases too.  I have the same concerns with lane splitting and fugly 3rd party brackets and extra weight from those.  I'll be using the bags mostly for storing riding gear while I'm off the bike at work, so I hadn't thought about top vs side loading.  Do you find getting your riding jacket/pants/etc into and out of the factory bags is a hassle while they're attached to the bike?  Also, can you still lock your helmet to the bike with the bags on? 
Also, also--do you want to sell me your cases if you're thinking about swapping them for the Givis? (you can pm me about this) :D
Main issue is getting things in while it is still on the bike, to avoid pinching whatever you are loading and it not closing properly. I wish I ordered the liners then it would be super easy. When i got to work I would just carry one in like a suitcase cause it would be cold in the morning and hot in the afternoon so I would have a few layers to take off. When you have the doors open it kinda acts like a tray to set things on. I have had maybe 5 lbs but I wouldnt do much more then that. I have not tried to lock my helmet, mainly because I dont want to remove my camera and bluetooth setup so I just take it in with me. But I would imagine it would be perfectly fine, and if not you can have a custom longer cable made. I am going to have a longer cable made for doing two helmets when me and my other half go on rides so we dont have to carry them with us. And I totally would if funds permitted buying another set quickly. 

EDIT: Found this listing    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mpo/5818223749.html

Main issue is getting things in while it is still on the bike, to avoid pinching whatever you are loading and it not closing properly. I wish I ordered the liners then it would be super easy. When i got to work I would just carry one in like a suitcase cause it would be cold in the morning and hot in the afternoon so I would have a few layers to take off. When you have the doors open it kinda acts like a tray to set things on. I have had maybe 5 lbs but I wouldnt do much more then that. I have not tried to lock my helmet, mainly because I dont want to remove my camera and bluetooth setup so I just take it in with me. But I would imagine it would be perfectly fine, and if not you can have a custom longer cable made. I am going to have a longer cable made for doing two helmets when me and my other half go on rides so we dont have to carry them with us. And I totally would if funds permitted buying another set quickly. 

EDIT: Found this listing    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mpo/5818223749.html
You might consider this for locking on 2 helmets - 
helmet_guardian_premium_helmet_security_lock_9_g.png

Archived