Sharing my failure.

Disclaimer..I come from dirt bikes and single thumpers and have always rounded up on my fills cause it  has quieted down the bikes and made them run smoother.

So the FJ 09 takes 2.85 qts w/filter on a oil change. So I just filled it up with 3 qts figuring .15qts would not make a difference...I was wrong. Bike started a little sluggish the next morning but it was a little cold, and after a bit it started smoking really bad and it being dark I couldn't really see anything except it looked like it was burning some residue off the collector under the bike....so maybe I thought when draining the really thin oil out of the bike it splashed up a bit. So I let that burn off until it stopped smoking and made sure it was all well. So ride to work was uneventful. When I went to lunch though...it was hard to start when I left from work and after every stop on my lunch it almost wouldn't start...The only thing a could think of was that extra .15l causing a problem...So knowing what overfilling does to a bike I grabbed a qt of oil and a air filter.

Sure enough oil filter smelt of oil and looked darker and the air box wasn't drenched in oil but it had a coating of oil in there. So after new air filter and correct amount of oil replacement w/out oil filter. It started perfectly fine a few times. Have yet to go on a ride with it yet. Hopefully that's all the damage done.

So learn from me!! Do not put 3 qts in your bike! It is very precise in its level.

...just to clarify...you put 3L in there and not 3qts? I see both units in your post. The level viewing glass can be misleading as well.
3 qts. The quarts of yamalube I got were filled between the 1l and 1qt mark so I guess you could say both...

• 1 month later...
I think its the Subaru car that people drain the oil and then mistakenly add 4 quarts of oil to the transmission.Then they drive it with no oil.I had a friend that was a subie mechanic said it happened all the time.
ouch!

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I think its the Subaru car that people drain the oil and then mistakenly add 4 quarts of oil to the transmission.Then they drive it with no oil.I had a friend that was a subie mechanic said it happened all the time.
I have an older Subaru (98 outback), and I don't see that as being at all likely on mine, the filler pipe is right on the front of the engine and has "oil" printed on the cap. But maybe the newer ones have a different overall configuration under the hood. The "oil" dash light would stay on anyhow, and hopefully no one would drive it that way :-S  
OK, now that I think about it, I guess younger and non-mechanical folks might see that as an acknowledgement of the oil change, I don't know anymore.

Archived