Probably need a new battery but...

joeszup

FWIW, a FJ 09 battery is a 10 series. That's pretty small. Every street bike I've owned since, at least 2002, had a 14 series. The only exception was my Tiger 1050. That came with a 12 series and a 14 series was a common upgrade.

I don't know if a large CCA capacity battery will fit a FJ 09.

• Premium Member
FWIW, a FJ 09 battery is a 10 series. That's pretty small. Every street bike I've owned since, at least 2002, had a 14 series. The only exception was my Tiger 1050. That came with a 12 series and a 14 series was a common upgrade. 
I don't know if a large CCA capacity battery will fit a FJ 09.

see http://www.motobattbatteries.com/motobatt-mbtz10s.html - Motobatt has 190CCA compared to 150CCA for a standard YTZ10S

Seems there are a few 190CC options including the "high power" version of the Yuasa.
http://www.yuasa.co.uk/batteries/motorcycle-power-sport/high-performance-maintenance-free/ytz10s.html
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

If I ever need a new battery, I'll check out the higher output options. If I'm going with a traditional AGM lead acid battery, I prefer Yuasa.   The lightweight LiPo batteries are usually smaller for similar CCA output, but my experience has not been very good.  I've had 2 of 3 Shorai brand fail early.  Maybe they've improved the reliability with their current product.  
Looking at the battery space in our FJ's, size will limit our choices. 

• 2 weeks later...
Had similar problems with my 2012 Triumph Bonneville. Turns out that the bike would not even turn over if the voltage was less than 12.2 v. Bought a Shorai lithium battery 1 1/2 years ago and solved the problem. One website said the lithium batteries put out a higher voltage on the second try if the first start was unsuccessful. This has been my experience. An added bonus is the battery is smaller and weighs about 1/3 the weight of the original.My FJ-09 is 3 months old, but I'm saving up for the inevitable replacement.

Had similar problems with my 2012 Triumph Bonneville. Turns out that the bike would not even turn over if the voltage was less than 12.2 v. Bought a Shorai lithium battery 1 1/2 years ago and solved the problem. One website said the lithium batteries put out a higher voltage on the second try if the first start was unsuccessful. This has been my experience. An added bonus is the battery is smaller and weighs about 1/3 the weight of the original.My FJ-09 is 3 months old, but I'm saving up for the inevitable replacement.
My Triumph Tiger was the same.  The OEM battery was a 12 series and I replaced it with a 14 series. My experience with Shorai and cold weather wasn't very good. Our FJ's came with a 10 series battery. It probably doesn't have a lot of extra capacity.

Archived