NWS Enhanced Data Display Weather Mapper

sunshine

Hi guys,

I'm new here so I thought I'd share the Enhanced Data Display App from the National Weather Service (U.S.) with everyone by way of introduction (also, I couldn't find a better section to share this information in).  If you live in the US, your tax dollars paid for it so you might as well use it. If you don't live in the US, please use it because someone who is paying for it with their tax dollars has no idea it even exists.

The app can be found here http://preview.weather.gov/edd/.  Its still in beta or "experimental" phase so I don't think there are phone-native versions of it yet, but the webpage displays fine even on old phones and you can save a map you've created on your phone for offline access if you don't have unlimited mobile data.

As most of you probably intuitively know, what most people call "weather" is a highly localized event, which is why weather forecasts for large (urban) regions are notoriously poor indicators of whether or not its actually going to rain/snow/fog/sleet/hail/etc wherever you actually happen to be.

If you don't care what the aggregate chance of, say, rain for the entire region where you live is going to be but would rather just know if its going to rain or not on your way to work and back, the EDD is the perfect tool for the job.  It also allows you to plan for detours on a route to avoid specific weather conditions.  To give an example from Southern California, where I live, if its raining along the 60 freeway, its usually not raining along the I10 or I91 (or vice versa).  

Of course, if you live in a monsoon climate, the pacific Northwest, or anywhere in the world where winter means colder than 50 degrees F, this type of information is totally useless to you and I applaud you brave souls for riding a motorcycle at all.

Thanks and nice to meet everyone!

I eagerly opened this thread at home, looking for a bit of spice from a Not Work Safe (NSW) post and was disappointed to find it was "moist" and "wet" in a completely different way. 

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Archived