Silverton - Outback New South Wales, Australia

kimmie

Another of my LD rides with FarRiders.

Coincidentally, bumped into Knave & Enterprise in Lithgow……what are the chances!!! Start docket obtained and we are off. Convoy!!!

Lovely day to be riding, suns out and it’s not too hot….”happy days!” Through Mudgee and wish I had time to drop in and visit my friends Kim & Phill’s new block of paradise (next time). Zig zagging our way through the back road to Two Mile Flat, Dubbo then into Narromine for my scheduled fuel stop (which the guys altered their plans to) and a short break to strip off a layer and have a snack.

DSCN2289a.jpg

We have a great rhythm going, with Enterprise in the lead setting a good pace and we are cruising up the rear. While at lunch time the sun was set high, as the day goes on the natural course of nature has it setting in the west and true to form it is absolutely blinding

DSCN2299a.jpg

The Mitchell Highway one long straight flat strip of black ribbon edged with a lush green fringe (thanks to the volumes of rain the outback regions have received). Lapping on the tips of the lush fringe is water and lots of it. The ground is so sodden I think any wildlife would sink to its knees trying to make the roadside….but it is a lovely sight.

DSCN2290a.jpg

DSCN2292-2a-1024x688.jpg

The water is so high that people have inner tubes and are making the most of it at Nyngan under the bridge.

DSCN2294a.jpg

Into Cobar and you have to stop for “THE” picture. Only trouble was the sun was at the ahhmm height and blinded us for each shot. Eventually, after many failed attempts, I decided to move Dudley out of the line of fire and snagged the shot….yeah!

DSCN2306a.jpg

Fuelled up and we check into our respective motels for the night. Cobar Motor Inn was my choice and as it seems others. Bumped into a familiar face whose name I could not remember and still now even after being reminded am unable to remember…my apologies again. Dinner was had at the local RSL with Frans, Harry R, John L, Knave and Enterprise were a couple of well-deserved beverages were consumed and laughs were had. No late night tonight, got an early morning tomorrow.

For a sleepy town, Cobar was a hive of activity this morning…can’t imagine why…LOL! Everybody had lights blazing as we headed west, bound for Silverton. It’s nice to head out with others into the dark of the morning all with a common goal and destination but all doing our own thing. It’s amazing how in 30 minutes you can watch the day start to come alive….and with such a lovely pallet of colour.

DSCN2308a.jpg

DSCN2313a.jpg

The Barrier Highway this morning was littered with road kill…thankfully most of it was on the opposite side of the road. Emmdale Roadhouse for breakfast seemed to be on everyones plan….the place looked like a pre-loved motorcycle showroom…lol. I’d wished the nights sleep would’ve shifted the headache that I had yesterday but not so. Fueled up, ordered breakfast, got some Panadol and headed outside to put my heated vest on as I had frozen this morning. Doesn’t matter what the issue, these wonderful like minded people I have the absolute pleasure to call friends come to assist me with my dilemma……….Thank You!!! The Silverton Convoy is on the move. What a delightful morning to be out riding! The odd goat and an emu were the only breathing animals I saw and all behind a wire fence well off the road. The rest were road kill of all sizes lining the highway like a guard of honour.

I was worried that if I twisted the wrist a little bit I’d have to make a pit stop in Little Topar. I had informed the guys of this and they were very accommodating of my fuel range. Frans checked with me just short of Topar and I gave him the thumbs up that I’d make it. In the lead now and the guys follow me into town. There was no way my servo of choice was going to accommodate all of us, so after pulling over with the “I’m lost” signal, Sir Enterprise took the lead and soon we were all herded in a more suitable petrol station. With time up our sleeve we took a break in Broken Hill, I took off some layers and prepared for the final 24.4km to Silverton…..the long haul.

Up and down the 39 Dips and you are soon into Silverton. Down the dirt road to the Silverton Hotel where there are bikes abundant, smiling faces and everyone is doing the Aussie Salute (aka swatting away flies…..he he he). Now to park, ah yeah dirt, ah yeah not my forte, so I stop down the street and contemplate where to park. Eventually I turn around and head down the middle of the bikes to locate the “right” space. Located, now to reverse in…..not!! But wait, here come my valet attendants Dan (Bobthekelpy) and Ed535 (Ed) to which I promptly dismount and hand over Dudley to the guys to back in for me……Thanks heaps Guys!!! Very much appreciated!!

DSCN2326a.jpg

DSCN2322a.jpg

Hello’s all round, check-in opens and I’m in. Lots of new faces and great to see SaltyPixas complete her first FarRide (one of many I hope).

DSCN2321a.jpg

There is a sea of Ochre at the pub today as we all enjoy a BBQ grab lunch and drink before having the group photo, the Cuddles for Cuddles photo (get well soon mate) and those leaving for places elsewhere, get going.

DSCN2329a.jpg

Silverton FR #42 – 1044km completed (within 24hrs) with fabulous company. Gotta be happy with that!

Congratulations to all the FarVirgins. See you on a road sometime soon.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Any crocodiles near that bridge?
No mate - no crocs, wrong area. But that doesn't mean that there couldn't be a lazy snake around. You just have be very findful of these things. 

• Premium Member
Any crocodiles near that bridge?
No mate - no crocs, wrong area. But that doesn't mean that there couldn't be a lazy snake around. You just have be very findful of these things. 

I'm sure. One thing I know from watching the crocodile hunter all those years, lots of critters in Australia will kill you.

Let’s go Brandon

• 2 weeks later...
"I'm sure. One thing I know from watching the crocodile hunter all those years, lots of critters in Australia will kill you.".

Yeah sure but Ya know, they aren't running down the street.

Archived