SaddleSore 1600K - Ontario

piotrek

• Supporting Member
..ok then, due to the incredible response to this thread ??? ... here is the route (the 'club'... 1700kms...20-21h at legal speed, with stops) I will be looking to do this at the end of June or so (my Sargent seat arrives). I am renting a satellite phone (route ventures into cellular darkness), but otherwise nothing special. Safe fuel stops planned about every 180-200kms, with the longest stretch (no gas stations) through wild country (B-C return leg)... about 220kms. I might fill a container with some fuel in Chapleau just in case shet happens. if anyone is interested in doing this with me, let's coordinate.

This ride is reasonable weather permitting, so dates will drift based on satellite forecast. I am thinking depart at wee hour on Saturday morning and ride through the wild country during the day.

ss1000.png

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Good luck piotrek. I've done 3 of these rides now so totally understand what it takes to complete one (and in all types of weather).

The hardest one was doing it in a group....riding to someone else's time line.
So my word of advice is ride together but ride your own ride. You will meet up along the way and play leap frog from time to time, but it's important to ride the way you always do keeping your normal riding pattern in place.

Look forward to seeing how you went.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Premium Member
Good luck and be safe.....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

If you notice your attention slipping then a caffeine stop will bring you right back. It is also easy to get dehydrated and this can result in fatigue. You don't realize how much fluid you lose and coffee will make fluid replacement even more important because caffeine is a diuretic.
Good luck on the ride :)

If you notice your attention slipping then a caffeine stop will bring you right back. It is also easy to get dehydrated and this can result in fatigue. You don't realize how much fluid you lose and coffee will make fluid replacement even more important because caffeine is a diuretic. Good luck on the ride :)

Glad you touched on the hydration as this is extremely important. 
Drink even when you think you don't need it. This will assist as Esperance says with the fatigue and will assist with keeping headaches at bay. Nothing worse than trying to tackling one of these rides with a pounder.

If you don't get any takers, go and do the ride yourself. The solitude and remoteness will test you and you'll know yourself when and if you need to stop.

Here in Australia, there are many remote areas that I myself ride alone and in the dark. Getting a sat-phone is a good way to keep in touch. I have a SPOT device (an E-perp kinda thing) which my hubby and the LD forum watch like hawks, so if I'm stopped for too long the word starts to spread quickly.

Just remember Rule #1 - arrive home safely.
Doesn't matter whether you achieve the goal or not...making it home is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

When I did my SS1000 earlier this year, I submitted the application online. I got my ride verified within 48 hours, which was surprising to me since the website says to expect a few weeks.

I highly recommend tracking your ride with SpotWalla. I use the Bubbler GPS App for Android to accomplish this. It really helps the verification team to prove you were where you said you were when you said you were there.

• 3 weeks later...
Good on ya man! Glad to hear it went according(pretty much) to plan.

Those northern bugs are a serious pain, along with all the other things that tend to wander onto the highway causing serious butt pucker factor.

Cheers

As someone who did a mere 650km today and was pretty happy to get off the bike when it was over, I humbly salute you, sir!
...it was a tough ride in the final account, no doubt. I slept 7h last night, and most of today I did not feel like a champ. My typical rides are 5-6h round trips. I'd like to tour more, and now know I can put on the distance with the FJ... but without having to race the clock. I can now say...been there, done that.
With the greatest possible respect, piotrek, and without wishing to start WW3 on these pages - why?   By your own account you were quite likely a danger to yourself and others on the back-end of that epic ride.   But even without understanding, and with my own longest one-day ride being a mere 1040km (on a much more suited, I'd think, BMW R1200 GS) I grudgingly salute you!   No offence (or offense)!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Yer my HEE-ro!

I did 120 miles yesterday over 5 hours and was plenty glad to get off the bike when I got home.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear I was getting old...

As someone who did a mere 650km today and was pretty happy to get off the bike when it was over, I humbly salute you, sir!
...it was a tough ride in the final account, no doubt. I slept 7h last night, and most of today I did not feel like a champ. My typical rides are 5-6h round trips. I'd like to tour more, and now know I can put on the distance with the FJ... but without having to race the clock. I can now say...been there, done that.
My first attempt at the SS 1000 was unsuccessful because I rode with another person who slowed me down considerably so my recovery for that attempt was only a day or so of aching but after my successful attempt I ached for three days and moved very slowly during that time, that was nearly 18 years ago and I still remember it vividly.  
That being said, I have to go up to Kenora for a wedding and was thinking I might start a run in Atikokan on my way back to see if I can still do it. If I start to get a little fuzzy(normal state of mind for me) I can pull into Espanola and mooch couch space from a friend up there.

This is all you fault ya know! And here I thought this nonsense was out of my system.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

Archived