Tires: Rosso III has anyone tried them?

• 1 month later...
I have run 2 sets of Rosso IIIs on my FJ-09.  I LOVE THEM.  I got between 2% and 5% more mileage than the Rosso IIs.  But better yet is the way they handle.  More feedback from the front under trail braking and both ends are more confidence inspiring at extreme lean angles.  They are my new favorite street tire.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• Premium Member
I have run 2 sets of Rosso IIIs on my FJ-09.  I LOVE THEM.  I got between 2% and 5% more mileage than the Rosso IIs.  But better yet is the way they handle.  More feedback from the front under trail braking and both ends are more confidence inspiring at extreme lean angles.  They are my new favorite street tire.
Mileage and wet weather performance?? 
Inquiring minds need to know.

Mileage is such an individual thing with tires and I am very hard on them.  So I will give some examples of tires used on my FJ-09: 
Dunlop D222                 2518 miles     Unlike some people, I have no strong complaints with these.  Not the best but better than many I've                                                                tried.
[span]Rosso II (ave. of 3 sets) 2722 miles     Have used at least 8 sets of these and have always liked them.  They were my preferred street tire until                                                             the Rosso III.
Rosso III (ave. of 2 sets) 2830 miles    These feel really good still at the end of their life.

Wet performance is very good, though not quite up to Michelin's PR3 but soooo much better handling in the dry than the PR3.

I hope this helps.[/span]
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• Premium Member
Mileage is such an individual thing with tires and I am very hard on them.  So I will give some examples of tires used on my FJ-09: 
Dunlop D222                 2518 miles     Unlike some people, I have no strong complaints with these.  Not the best but better than many I've                                                                tried.
[span]Rosso II (ave. of 3 sets) 2722 miles     Have used at least 8 sets of these and have always liked them.  They were my preferred street tire until                                                             the Rosso III.
Rosso III (ave. of 2 sets) 2830 miles    These feel really good still at the end of their life.

Wet performance is very good, though not quite up to Michelin's PR3 but soooo much better handling in the dry than the PR3.

I hope this helps.[/span]

That's a OMG LOL, etc

I used to road race back in the early 70s when tires were hard as hockey pucks and slicks hadn't trickled down to grade racers yet, so I learned how to be smooth on and off the throttle and when a where to push. Riding 2 smokes also made fine thottle control a must and covering the clutch ready for a seizure was also automatic.

Hanging off was also new but body position and arching lines was still the standard, as it has again been revived among the MotoGP Alina today except for their rapid deceleration antics.

All this means that I have instinctual tire preservation techniques than conserve rubber and extend mileage resulting in obtaining over 9,000 miles on the OEM D222 and averaging well over 10,000 miles on PR4 and the like. But less 3,000 is not acceptable to my wallet or tI'm schedule even if I do have front & rear Pit Bull stands and a No Mar tire changer.

But could my techniques stretch the Ross 3 to 8,000 miles?

That's a OMG LOL, etc

I used to road race back in the early 70s when tires were hard as hockey pucks and slicks hadn't trickled down to grade racers yet, so I learned how to be smooth on and off the throttle and when a where to push. Riding 2 smokes also made fine thottle control a must and covering the clutch ready for a seizure was also automatic.

Hanging off was also new but body position and arching lines was still the standard, as it has again been revived among the MotoGP Alina today except for their rapid deceleration antics.

All this means that I have instinctual tire preservation techniques than conserve rubber and extend mileage resulting in obtaining over 9,000 miles on the OEM D222 and averaging well over 10,000 miles on PR4 and the like. But less 3,000 is not acceptable to my wallet or tI'm schedule even if I do have front & rear Pit Bull stands and a No Mar tire changer.

But could my techniques stretch the Ross 3 to 8,000 miles?
Like I said, tire mileage is difficult to compare.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• Supporting Member
I always take mileage claims with a grain of salt. No 2 riders, even with identical bikes, have the same variables that affect tire wear, - rider abilities, suspension setup, road surface etc.
I usually use Pirelli Angel GT's and have read reports of getting 15,000 miles from ultra conservative commuters (I've never managed to get over 9,000 miles out of a set) still others wear out a set in 2,000.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...

Archived