Front End Choices ?

jo1000

Guys, is there a way to flush the oil gunk, or cleanout the forks without complete disassembly? I can take out the top cap and the spring, and looking to get as much out as possible before refilling. Would pouring a little WD in there (to mix with old oil) to flush things out be bad?
Generally once the spring is out pumping the damper/cartridge until it goes dry (fork upside down), then pouring in some clean fork oil, pumping the cartridge until it's fill up (fork upright) then repeat above. Word of warning!!! Once the cap, spring are out DO NOT pick up the fork by the gold part that attaches to the triples, the fork will come apart; probably damaging the seal when you try to put it back together. Hold the fork by the chrome tube, and careful inverting the fork (for obvious reasons).I've heard of flushing forks with kerosene, but never done it myself. And BTW, the left fork "cartridge" is a dummy and there will be no oil retained in it after draining. 

You do not have to take the forks apart to change to clean oil if there is not many miles on the forks. The more miles on the forks, the more crude is formed and settles to the bottom, and you will surprised how much gunk collects in 10,000 miles, which is my guess would be the minimum miles the forks can run without disassembly and clean. By the time you need to change seals, you really must take the forks apart for a through cleaning, and that should be more than 20,000 miles. Then there will be guys who go a lot further. Truth is, once you learn how to get forks apart, it really is not that hard to do.  I only use fork oil to flush out fork without disassembly.