Blow by, oil in the airbox, what's normal?

• Supporting Member

Ever tipped over ?  My V-Strom airbox had about 1/4 cup of oil in the airbox when I tipped it (fractured an ankle, too...)

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

21 hours ago, manimal said:

I thought I read in the Owners, or Service, manual that this is an 'oiled' air filter.  Wouldn't some of the filter oil end up inside the air box?

No. It is a very minimal amount of oil on the filter. You can barely tell it is there. My bike still has about a cap full of oil in the air box no matter my oil level. I just relate it to high revving and the occasional higher elevation of my front wheel....😇

• Supporting Member
35 minutes ago, FJ29ER said:

No. It is a very minimal amount of oil on the filter. You can barely tell it is there. My bike still has about a cap full of oil in the air box no matter my oil level. I just relate it to high revving and the occasional higher elevation of my front wheel....😇

The crankcase vents into the airbox, I clean my air filter several times a year and there is always a small bit of oil in there.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I thought I was the only one cheap enough to clean my air filter when I went to the trouble to get in there rather than replace it lol

I find my filter at least in the riding I do to be pretty clean with no oil on the filter like in the photo in this thread and a little bit of oil in the Box

nothing unusual you should see what it's like with a big superhawk with a hundred thousand miles on it, knock on plastic it's really not that bad with it either though the filter does get  a bit oily