National Cycle VStream

dakota

Very sorry to hear this. 
It's hard to tell from the picture you posted but it sounds like its not right. Did you recheck the mounting instructions to make sure you didn't make a mistake or forgot a piece? I remember they were not that easy to follow. Mine is definitely even on both sides. If not I would contact National Cycle for advice.

They also may be willing to exchange for a larger Touring screen that may work better if you ask nicely :)
Yeah I checked to make sure that everything was mounted up correctly. I actually noticed the deformity before I even installed it and it kinda bummed me out because I was already halfway through the installation process. You're probably right that the touring screen is the way to go, I don't think the deformed part of it is going to affect how the air hits my helmet unfortunately.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cycle gear was really cool about it and they're gonna ship me the tall touring screen with me just paying the difference. Will report back on my hopefully much better experience with the taller screen.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights

• Premium Member
My bike... purchased used @ 1257 miles came with the Sport Touring screen. So I had all the brackets and only wanted the Sport screen. I had to go to National Cycles. I save a bunch that way and now that hit weather is here I love it. 6b4a961c262987d321bb72f114cd0be4.jpg

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Cycle gear was really cool about it and they're gonna ship me the tall touring screen with me just paying the difference. Will report back on my hopefully much better experience with the taller screen.
That's what I call great customer service :) I hope the tall one works better for you!
2015 FJ-09 Matte Grey (Sold!)

That's what I call great customer service :) I hope the tall one works better for you!

Great customer service. The guy I talked to was really cool definitely 2 thumbs up for cycle gear.

• Premium Member
My bike... purchased used @ 1257 miles came with the Sport Touring screen. So I had all the brackets and only wanted the Sport screen. I had to go to National Cycles. I save a bunch that way and now that hit weather is here I love it.
Are you local to National Cycle, in Chicago or burbs?  I'm just north of the city. 
20170409_182112.jpg

XNt3tCW.jpgSo I got to installing the tall screen and it has the same defect as the sport touring screen. Also the windshield was quite loose seems like the nuts were a poor design choice. Took it for a short test ride and was still experiencing pretty terrible helmet buffeting at all heights. I think at my size going shorter is likely better than taller I'd much rather have clean air on my helmet, chopped down my stock screen going to test run that tomorrow. Anyhow I returned both and cycle gear was pretty cool about it all.

So I got to installing the tall screen and it has the same defect as the sport touring screen. Also the windshield was quite loose seems like the nuts were a poor design choice. Took it for a short test ride and was still experiencing pretty terrible helmet buffeting at all heights. I think at my size going shorter is likely better than taller I'd much rather have clean air on my helmet, chopped down my stock screen going to test run that tomorrow. Anyhow I returned both and cycle gear was pretty cool about it all.
Glad to hear you were able to get a refund.

Just got me thinking, did you notice that the windscreen height adjustment on the clutch side has actually only 3 positions? I've been thinking that perhaps its not properly seated in one of the slots, which could explain the crooked windshield. Normally you unscrew both sides, set the clutch side first to lock in one of the position, and then level the windshield and tighten the brake side. See the manual at page 4-30.

Screen_Shot_2017-05-21_at_10.32.58_AM.png
2015 FJ-09 Matte Grey (Sold!)

So I got to installing the tall screen and it has the same defect as the sport touring screen. Also the windshield was quite loose seems like the nuts were a poor design choice. Took it for a short test ride and was still experiencing pretty terrible helmet buffeting at all heights. I think at my size going shorter is likely better than taller I'd much rather have clean air on my helmet, chopped down my stock screen going to test run that tomorrow. Anyhow I returned both and cycle gear was pretty cool about it all.
Just got me thinking, did you notice that the windscreen height adjustment on the clutch side has actually only 3 positions? I've been thinking that perhaps its not properly seated in one of the slots, which could explain the crooked windshield. Normally you unscrew both sides, set the clutch side first to lock in one of the position, and then level the windshield and tighten the brake side. See the manual at page 4-30.

Yeah that was definitely not the issue unfortunately I double checked that just to be sure. Even with both of them off the bike it was pretty apparent the plexiglass was "warped." And also not to mention how poorly secured it was I was not too impressed with national cycle's hardware. I installed that Chinese eBay screen today and I love the airflow of it, quite the bargain at $26. Might look into the MRA touring screen as a long term solution.

• 2 weeks later...
the same is also in mine. and in another tracer900 i saw last week with only 700 km. i have mounted and remounted like 100 times. also the base plate of the bike. i will order new metal oem brackets in case some is bend and will loose all oem bolts of the headlight because i had a small impact without damage but perhaps something took a different angle....

mine is exactly the same. i will first try to do all things above and then will contact national cycle for further enquiry.

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

and the upper left (from all the four) nut does not secure tightly, it has a little of gap. of course its fully tight.

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

and the upper left (from all the four) nut does not secure tightly, it has a little of gap. of course its fully tight.

Yup that one was quite loose on my tall touring screen.

• Premium Member

Yeah that was definitely not the issue unfortunately I double checked that just to be sure. Even with both of them off the bike it was pretty apparent the plexiglass was "warped." And also not to mention how poorly secured it was I was not too impressed with national cycle's hardware. I installed that Chinese eBay screen today and I love the airflow of it, quite the bargain at $26. Might look into the MRA touring screen as a long term solution.
I bought a Chinese "bikini" screen for hot weather and found it to be decent enough quality but  was maybe even noisier than the OEM screen.  Yesterday I rode with my Givi touring screen with the MRW spoiler in 87 degree temps and was OK wearing a heavily armored mesh jacket; I thought I'd be more uncomfortable.  The Givi - MRW combo is by far the quietest I've tried with no buffeting. 
I was considering trying the NS screens as they are local and offered to fit whatever I wanted and let me test ride them but now may just live with what I have and maybe try a spoiler on the Chinese bikini screen.

2017-03-26_FJ-09_Full_frontal_View.jpg
20170326_162923.jpg

20170326_163142.jpg

20170326_163154.jpg

20170326_163203.jpg

20170326_163257.jpg

20170326_184116.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I have the National Cycle small windscreen, which is a bit larger than the factory FJ-09 screen.  National Cycle supplies a steel powder coated bracket for mounting, which is much sturdier than the factory mount. The bracket also pushes the screen about 3/4 inch forward.  The screen does not contact the factory hand guards even when lock to lock. A good improvement on wind protection and very well made in Chicago with quality hardware for mounting that is well thought out.   Many places where you can buy them such as Revzilla on https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/national-cycle-vstream-sport-windscreen-yamaha-fj-09-2015-2016?gclid=CKzUlq2lxdQCFZG3wAodZ20Huw  National Cycle also has several larger sizes if you prefer.  I did not want a billboard that would alter the lines of the bike, which is why I bought the "sport" windshield.  Works great for me and I consider my search for a windshield over.  :)

Archived