National Cycle VStream

dakota

First time posting!  I  bought the National Cycle Vstream sport touring screen (light tint).  It is the mid sized one.  I had simply had enough of the horrible OEM screen.  I love my FJ (2016, Black).  The screen seemed to be worse than having nothing.  I am heading to ride the Skyline and Blue Ridge later this week.  I read through this forum thoroughly and decided to get the Vstream.  I ordered it through Amazon from Powersport Superstore.  It arrived a day sooner than projected.  It was a simple installation.  I put in appox 300 miles this weekend in a variety of road types.  It was an amazing different.  For the first time, I could hear that sweet triple throughout the rev range, regardless of speed.  The difference literally started at 35 mph.  I could ride visor up through 80 mph.  If I could offer two pieces of advice.  Change the windscreen and you can't go wrong with the Vstream.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just curious to ask anyone with a National Cycle windscreen, any of the 3 sizes (sport, sport touring or touring):

How much space is left between the windscreen and the instrument cluster? Does it change the available space from the stock windscreen? Is there space to mount an average size phone or a GPS?

Otherwise, I'm going to have to mount the GPS on the handlebar risers, and that is not ideal because I'd have to look too far down and take my eyes off the road.

Thanks!!

Just curious to ask anyone with a National Cycle windscreen, any of the 3 sizes (sport, sport touring or touring): 
How much space is left between the windscreen and the instrument cluster? Does it change the available space from the stock windscreen? Is there space to mount an average size phone or a GPS?

Otherwise, I'm going to have to mount the GPS on the handlebar risers, and that is not ideal because I'd have to look too far down and take my eyes off the road.

Thanks!!

I have the medium, and there is more space than the stock screen provides. It has its own bracket that pushes the screen further away from the cluster, and I have a ram mount rigged onto that bracket, holding my phone above the instruments. Plenty of space to mount electronics, but at least my setup makes the phone too bouncy to read maps at speed.

ETA: Pic of bracket and mount

IMG_3210.jpg

Thanks!!
I have the medium, and there is more space than the stock screen provides. It has its own bracket that pushes the screen further away from the cluster, and I have a ram mount rigged onto that bracket, holding my phone above the instruments. Plenty of space to mount electronics, but at least my setup makes the phone too bouncy to read maps at speed.

IMG_3210.jpg

Hey, thanks for replying!

So yes, and no.. there IS room, but it could be too bouncy to view a GPS while riding, if you mount electronics to the windscreen bracket?

Oh and if you don't mind, can I ask why you went with the medium size (sport touring?) As opposed to another size? Do you plan to keep the same windscreen on year round?

Well, just fitted mine (medium size) today, it's definitely improvement over stock, but I still have some wind turbulence. I'm 183cm tall.  

183 cm... so for us Americans, that's about 6' tall, right? 8-)  
Do you think the turbulence you're experiencing is turbulent air coming off the top of the windscreen, or around the sides? Can you stand up, or tuck in, to get smooth air?

I'm an inch shorter than you, so maybe I would hit the sweet spot. Ugh, Yamaha really needs to do some wind tunnel testing!!

Edit: Those are SW-Motech crash bars, right? I've got those. I like them so far. I want to get some LED driving lights for them. Speaking of LED lights, what do you have on your handguards? Those lights look really nice!

• Premium Member
A word of warning with clear curved windshields. I had a Er-Max tall clear windshield. Parked in the sun and the windshield acted like a magnified class and slightly melted the top of my right blinker indicator. :-(. I now have a Parabellum tall tinted windshield ( which does the job) and if I have to park in the sun, just to be safe, I place a hand towel over my instrument panel.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

IMG_3210.jpg

Hey, thanks for replying! 
So yes, and no.. there IS room, but it could be too bouncy to view a GPS while riding, if you mount electronics to the windscreen bracket?

Oh and if you don't mind, can I ask why you went with the medium size (sport touring?) As opposed to another size? Do you plan to keep the same windscreen on year round?

Correct, plenty of space, and using Google Maps on an iPhone 6 is fine around town, but too much vibration on the interstate. I'm sure it could be improved if I wasn't so lazy. 

And yes, I went with the medium as a year round option. I'm 6'3", so I'm never going to get full wind protection unless I use a barn door, but had heard the medium screen at medium height provides clean airflow around the helmet for people my height, and I've found that to be true. I still think it's noisy, but I wear a Shoei Hornet X2, so that peak is more at fault than the screen. I also like that I can keep the stock handguards with it. 

Thanks!!

Cosmo sells an accessory with a RAM ball OR a bar to mount multiple RAM attachments, for GPS and other gizmos, which mounts between the windscreen mount and the cluster.

See:
http://www.cosmo-accessories.com/online-store/yamaha/tracer/tracer-gps-holder-94-info.html
and
http://www.cosmo-accessories.com/online-store/yamaha/tracer-900/tracer-gps-holder-info.html
2015 FJ-09 Matte Grey (Sold!)

Well, just fitted mine (medium size) today, it's definitely improvement over stock, but I still have some wind turbulence. I'm 183cm tall.  

183 cm... so for us Americans, that's about 6' tall, right? 8-)  
Do you think the turbulence you're experiencing is turbulent air coming off the top of the windscreen, or around the sides? Can you stand up, or tuck in, to get smooth air?

I'm an inch shorter than you, so maybe I would hit the sweet spot. Ugh, Yamaha really needs to do some wind tunnel testing!!

Edit: Those are SW-Motech crash bars, right? I've got those. I like them so far. I want to get some LED driving lights for them. Speaking of LED lights, what do you have on your handguards? Those lights look really nice!

The turbulence is coming off the top of the windscreen, so I was thinking of trying maybe some of the deflectors on top. If I tuck in, I'm in the silent zone, and my windscreen is in the highest setting. So it might be good for your height.

As for the LEDs, those are DZELL, look them up on eBay, and there are already bunch of guys who have them here on forum.

• 1 month later...

May I ask how tall you are?

First time posting!  I  bought the National Cycle Vstream sport touring screen (light tint).  It is the mid sized one.  I had simply had enough of the horrible OEM screen.  I love my FJ (2016, Black).  The screen seemed to be worse than having nothing.  I am heading to ride the Skyline and Blue Ridge later this week.  I read through this forum thoroughly and decided to get the Vstream.  I ordered it through Amazon from Powersport Superstore.  It arrived a day sooner than projected.  It was a simple installation.  I put in appox 300 miles this weekend in a variety of road types.  It was an amazing different.  For the first time, I could hear that sweet triple throughout the rev range, regardless of speed.  The difference literally started at 35 mph.  I could ride visor up through 80 mph.  If I could offer two pieces of advice.  Change the windscreen and you can't go wrong with the Vstream.

Have to agree on the V-Stream. Had the brand (after trying many others) on my prior 'GS's, so it was a pretty easy choice. Also bought the midsize one.
I'm 6-2 and have the seat in the upper position and the windscreen in the "middle slot" of the position slide.
It works. Pretty easy install, mine came from Rev-Zilla - good folks.
Ride well.

I will say that from the early Shoei, HJC & Schuberths ( and others...), newer Arais & Shoeis - wind noise has lessened through helmet design.
So - depending on what your helmet choice is, buffeting will vary. Just saying.

Archived