Refused Service by My Dealership!!

• Premium Member
Well, that just sucks! Why take a survey if you risk getting shet like this?! Customers should not be put in this situation for telling the truth. Shame on that dealership. Did the G.M. ever speak with you? Talk about losing customers fast. So far in my situation, I'm very happy with my dealer and the service department. I can only hope that doesn't change. I went to a dealer that was further away from my home than two other closer dealerships. The closer ones rubbed me the wrong way and the Dealer that is further away ,took care of me and made my purchase and service pleasant. When I bought my FJ09 I did research for about six months and rode many different brands. I kept coming back to the FJ09. There are, "Box houses" out there for deals on motorcycles, but I think it's still important to find a dealer or a factory warranty/certified mechanic that can back you up when you need it.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Much as some dealers are bad, we do want dealers. The bigger the company you are dealing with is, the less they will care about you. Who would you matter more to, a small town dealer who sold 2 FJs this year and a bunch of other stuff for a grand total of 35 bikes, or Hondyamazuki Davidcyle who sold 1,000,000 bikes around the world this year? Who MIGHT know your name? duhs10 makes a good point too. Do Apple products really need to cost as much as they do? They're the same wherever you go too. How they don't get nailed for collusion is beyond me.

I politely disagree with you.
Buying anything from a dealer (cars bikes) is a major miserable experience. Am I alone in this thought? I hate going to car dealers and bike dealers. Hate it, detest it.

They buy the bikes for $7200 and then turn around and sell it to us for $10,000. Then, the jerkoffs charge us doc fee, shipping fee from the factory and set up fees. And then the accessories they sell are marked up 150% too.

I dont need a dealer to buy a computer. And yes, I happily pay more for an Apple, they out last traditional PC's big time. But you know what, I don't need a dealer to buy a pc either. I dont need a dealer to build a website.

I dont need a dealer to buy a flatscreen tv. I don't need a dealer to buy a complete home entertainment system. I could go on and on and on.

Dealerships train their sales people to phuck us as hard as they can, no lube applied. Then, they pay their employees complete shet wages. The good mechanics get pissed and quit and open their own shops, and those are the guys who get my repair business. Go ask an ex dealer tech who quit and started his own business why he quit. He will tell you the hundreds of horror stories of $9.00 hour dealer techs being pushed to knock out way too many bikes per day, quality of work be dammed.

Dealer wants $220 to sync the fuel injectors. Some want $300 to do it. It will be done by a kid who is expected to knock out 8 bikes that day. Nobody knows if he actually does it correctly. Often, they dont.

My mechanic (who used to be the service manager) did the same job for $65, plus he threw in a free chain adjust and lube and found dealer set up mistakes on the bike.

For me and most others, dealers are an absolutely unnecessary evil. They rip us off, are an extra cost that comes off our wallets, and we cant trust their mechanic kids who get paid peanuts and are pushed way too hard for the bottom line. They also mark up prices so freakin high for repair or parts that it's a joke.

Everytime we buy a new bike we get ripped off by a dealer. And some get ripped off even more buy paying their prices for an extended warranty that never gets used, and even more buy paying way too much for their accessories. People who dont know better pay way too phucking much dealer money for 1st service or oil changes too.

And financing? Go in, tell them that you want to finance thru your credit union to get the best rate? They will tell you 4.2% or 3.8%. Later, when you walk into your credit union and ask, the credit union will tell you that if you had got preapproved thru them ahead of time, they would have only charged you 1.9% and that the dealer added more % points to the deal. Yes, they do this, all of them.

Here watch this. It isn't far off base.

• Premium Member
Also, if there were not dealers there would be no negotiating... so MSRP would be what everyone paid.
     That's the way it used to be with bikes before the banks went crazy back in the 90's with the big Harley boom when they started financing everone and for longer terms, they drove the prices up on all the other bikes as well.
BLB

This is ridiculous...shame on the dealer for being douchebags and shame on Yamaha for a) punishing the dealer for not scoring perfectly b) actually telling the dealer who gave them negative feedback. The surveys should be anonymous, otherwise people won't be honest for fear of retribution. This is why I hate surveys.

Case in point, at the local grocery I was checking out at a self-check lane and before I could finalize my transaction it asked if I was thrilled with my shopping experience - yes or no responses available. So, not wanting to spend extra time telling them why I wasn't "thrilled" (I bought one item and it wasn't even on sale) I just hit "yes" to expedite the process. Someone, somewhere is getting a nice bonus because I would guess most people are doing the same thing. The system is biased to provide favorable results.

BTW, I would never set foot in that dealership again and would make sure everyone I knew wouldn't either. In fact, I'd post your experience on yelp, twitter, facebook, wherever they have a presence. You gave honest feedback and they screwed you as a result - if you are going to pay a penalty, might as well make it worth it ;)

25 years ago I was buying a new pick up truck, but I had done my homework and new the price I was willing to pay. Dealer ran me around in circles, just like in the video, the final contract came back several hundred dollars over what they said it would be. Without saying a word, I got up and walked out. 3 salesmen tried to surround my car and threatened to call police. I was real careful to not sign anything. I drove straight to another dealer, picked out my truck, paid my price, and then went back to the original dealership and drove about 3 laps around their parking lot waving at everybody.

Lots of power in just walking out of a dealership. Last new car I bought, I walked out of a local dealership 3 times in 2 weeks, until I got the car at $3,000 discount. The fun part for me was demo driving way more expensive cars than I intended to buy.

When I bought my bike I specifically remember the dealer asking me to give them a perfect score or call them before doing the survey. I didn't think too much about it. I didn't have any problems per say with the dealership but it was not a difficult sale for them either; I walked in knew what I wanted, negotiated a little and signed. They did not do anything above an beyond that I felt justified all 10's. I know when I did my survey I gave honest answers based on my view of how the performed; as I would expect but nothing fantastic. It's funny reading this today because I got a letter in the mail from the dealership pushing after market accessories and service; and at the bottom of this letter was again the comment about giving a perfect score or calling them first. I am wondering if I am going to get another survey about my recent service experience. Either way, will see what happens next time I go for service.

And just to wrap up this thread, in the ultimate irony, I actually received a Yamaha sound system from them as a reward for completing the survey!! ha!!! (You know how at the end of the survey it says you'll be entered to win a prize, but we all think it ain't gonna happen, well it did!)

• Premium Member
And just to wrap up this thread, in the ultimate irony, I actually received a Yamaha sound system from them as a reward for completing the survey!! ha!!! (You know how at the end of the survey it says you'll be entered to win a prize, but we all think it ain't gonna happen, well it did!)

What??? I was going to ask you to identify this dealer.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member

That's great news, hopefully you won't be reminded how they jerked you around every time you fire up that sound system.
BLB

Just to clarify, I got the sound system months ago from the Yamaha corporation for completing the survey about the dealer's service, long before this incident at the dealership. But at least I have the sound system, even if I don't have a dealer anymore!

• Premium Member
Just to clarify, I got the sound system months ago from the Yamaha corporation for completing the survey about the dealer's service, long before this incident at the dealership. But at least I have the sound system, even if I don't have a dealer anymore!
...well then,...how ungrateful of you for treating your dealer the way you did...shame on you!  :P
   Dealer probably got dinged for the cost of the sound system as their punishment for the bad survey, could be why they were pissed. 
BLB

• Premium Member
I politely disagree with you. [snip]
Dealerships train their sales people to phuck us as hard as they can, no lube applied. Then, they pay their employees complete shet wages. The good mechanics get pissed and quit and open their own shops, and those are the guys who get my repair business. Go ask an ex dealer tech who quit and started his own business why he quit. He will tell you the hundreds of horror stories of $9.00 hour dealer techs being pushed to knock out way too many bikes per day, quality of work be dammed.

Dealer wants $220 to sync the fuel injectors. Some want $300 to do it. It will be done by a kid who is expected to knock out 8 bikes that day. Nobody knows if he actually does it correctly. Often, they dont.

This is quite true in my experience. If you recall my clutch failure last year on my then brand new '15, I hypothesized about this very problem being the root cause of the failure, due to an inexperienced / poorly trained technician handling the warranty recall repair in the shop which later led to my clutch failure due to improper installation. 

Dealers HATE to perform warranty work. The receive absolute bare minimum reimbursement from the parent company to pay for their labor costs which most often is NOT adequate time for the actual repairs. Paying 1.5 billable hours work for a job that takes 2.5 hours screws the dealership over and they lose money in the process, so their urgency to rush these repairs is clearly seen as protecting the bottom line.

I also prefer small, independent shops and mechanics for repair services. You are much less likely to get screwed over.

And yes, to avoid threadjacking, I slammed my dealer in that Yamaha survey hard, and added plenty of unkind comments to it for good measure. I also feel the whole idea behind a survey is to provide honest feedback on services rendered, and I certainly have them honest, blunt AND truthful communication as to my poor service experience. Thy have yet to 'blacklist' me from that dealer. :P
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• 4 weeks later...
This actually makes me feel a little better. I blasted the dealership on the survey for advertising a few thousand less than everyone else in a cycletrader ad, then tacking on BS freight and setup fees to make up the difference. I should have just walked out but still worked out a good OTD price compared to my research

Archived