Cogent Dynamics suspension

Brick

• Premium Member
UPDATE:

Ok... Now the Cognet Dynamics fork work that they did to my request.

In the past, on other bikes with other suspension "fixers", I had gotten suspension work done only to find it so stiff that while it worked great in a track like situation I hated it on the street. So my request was for improvement... in 1) better compliance 2) better as far as riding the curves and being able to do it quicker with better feel and not trying to throw me in the weeds.
I know I know... almost opposite requests but doable... I'm sure. The previously installed Cogent made shock REALLY did improve the bike IN the direction I wanted.

I don't know what other suspension folks do for new springs for the FJ-09 as they are actually tapered. But Rick wanted to get springs made with this taper in them as they provided proper fit and for another reason that I forgot what he said. (I'll ask again and report what it was). He explained that for real track type suspension he would recommend .90 or even .95 springs but he ordered .82 spring be made for me. (BTW he ordered 2 sets so has an extra set) I'm 175 lbs without riding gear so 200 - 210 with gear on. Then they reworked the rebound valving for me in the stock rebound equipped right fork leg (that is right isn't it... the right leg came with rebound damping?) Then they added the cartridge and valving for Compression damping in the left leg for me at the same time adding adjustment for the compression and pre-load to that cap. They said that coincidentally both compression and preload damping worked out to be 7 clicks out. Now the right fork leg cap is silver = Rebound adjustment and the left for leg cap is gold = Compression damping.
I went over to friend an fellow FJ-09 owner Lee Davis's house and we measured and set sag on the front to 3 of 6 lines which worked out to be 1 3/8" when measured with me on the bike. I think he said that 1 1/2 to 5/8" was a bit more correct but we started there.

They put in the correct amount of 5W fork oil.

Now I've only ridden it once but it was an amazing improvement!!! YES!! I felt that the harder I pushed it in the corners that perhaps it was wallowing a little. In speaking with Rick he suggested that I increase compression damping starting with +3 to see how that works out.

After my second ride I intend on riding over to Cognet Dynamics and having Rick ride it too. He needs/wants to see first hand how it's working. He does a lot of track days and admits that he likes his bikes set up more firm than I do.

However that being said I still want to travel some on this bike. But as easily as it looks to adjust I should be able to play with it... once I understand it a bit more.
Rick is also going to give me better spec's on what they did to the forks so I can explain it better here. He and Joyce have been out of the country and just got back.

Stay tuned for the next installment of Cognet Dynamic's and Red Molly!

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
UPDATE: 
Ok... Now the Cognet Dynamics fork work that they did to my request.

In the past, on other bikes with other suspension "fixers", I had gotten suspension work done only to find it so stiff that while it worked great in a track like situation I hated it on the street. So my request was for improvement... in 1) better compliance 2) better as far as riding the curves and being able to do it quicker with better feel and not trying to throw me in the weeds.
I know I know... almost opposite requests but doable... I'm sure. The previously installed Cogent made shock REALLY did improve the bike IN the direction I wanted.

I don't know what other suspension folks do for new springs for the FJ-09 as they are actually tapered. But Rick wanted to get springs made with this taper in them as they provided proper fit and for another reason that I forgot what he said. (I'll ask again and report what it was). He explained that for real track type suspension he would recommend .90 or even .95 springs but he ordered .82 spring be made for me. (BTW he ordered 2 sets so has an extra set) I'm 175 lbs without riding gear so 200 - 210 with gear on. Then they reworked the rebound valving for me in the stock rebound equipped right fork leg (that is right isn't it... the right leg came with rebound damping?) Then they added the cartridge and valving for Compression damping in the left leg for me at the same time adding adjustment for the compression and pre-load to that cap. They said that coincidentally both compression and preload damping worked out to be 7 clicks out. Now the right fork leg cap is silver = Rebound adjustment and the left for leg cap is gold = Compression damping.
I went over to friend an fellow FJ-09 owner Lee Davis's house and we measured and set sag on the front to 3 of 6 lines which worked out to be 1 3/8" when measured with me on the bike. I think he said that 1 1/2 to 5/8" was a bit more correct but we started there.

They put in the correct amount of 5W fork oil.

Now I've only ridden it once but it was an amazing improvement!!! YES!! I felt that the harder I pushed it in the corners that perhaps it was wallowing a little. In speaking with Rick he suggested that I increase compression damping starting with +3 to see how that works out.

After my second ride I intend on riding over to Cognet Dynamics and having Rick ride it too. He needs/wants to see first hand how it's working. He does a lot of track days and admits that he likes his bikes set up more firm than I do.

However that being said I still want to travel some on this bike. But as easily as it looks to adjust I should be able to play with it... once I understand it a bit more.
Rick is also going to give me better spec's on what they did to the forks so I can explain it better here. He and Joyce have been out of the country and just got back.

Stay tuned for the next installment of Cognet Dynamic's and Red Molly!

Just for a little fun.....

• Premium Member
@Peporter... EXACTLY! Red Molly!

@Crempel... Well the It's been Rick's goal to make suspension, both Shock and Forks for under $1,000.00. So the Shock is priced at $635.00 so we will see what the Fork work comes in at. I'll post here when I get that information.

The weather here for tomorrow, Tuesday and Wednesday are still looking good for a test day tomorrow and a ride over to Cogent Dynamics on Wednesday. Forecast 66 and 65 so that's GREAT!

Brick
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
@peporter ... EXACTLY! Red Molly!  
@crempel ... Well the It's been Rick's goal to make suspension, both Shock and Forks for under $1,000.00. So the Shock is priced at $635.00 so we will see what the Fork work comes in at. I'll post here when I get that information.

The weather here for tomorrow, Tuesday and Wednesday are still looking good for a test day tomorrow and a ride over to Cogent Dynamics on Wednesday. Forecast 66 and 65 so that's GREAT!

Keep us updated Brick! I'm ready to send my forks into CD when they are ready for them. 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Ok... Yesterday I rode Red Molly over to Cogent Dynamics after two rides testing a couple of adjustments for Rick to test ride the bike with his forks installed. Of course he took a screwdriver with him. Upon his return he said his final adjustments were 3 clicks out on compression and 5 on rebound dampening. Of course these adjustments only mean anything to me on Red Molly. On my ride home I felt the ride was very very good. All worth the work and money.

Remember I have. Cogent shock with a 600 lb spring. And the modified forks with rebound adjustment in the right fork and compression adjustment in the left fork. Both adjustable at the top cap of the forks. Here is Cogent Dynamics pricing.

Base level (yours without second adjuster): $338
Twin Adjustable: $529 (like mine)

Includes damping parts and fork Springs.

Installation at our shop is $169 + oil and any wear / repair parts needed.

Base fork parts and a Cogent custom built shock: $997 When fork and shock done together we can discount installation work by 20%.

The shock alone was $635.

Go here: Base level (yours without second adjuster): $338
Twin Adjustable: $529

Includes damping parts and fork Springs.

Installation at our shop is $169 + oil and any wear / repair parts needed.

Shock alone was $635.

Go here: www.motocd.com

Brick
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Supporting Member
Base fork parts and a Cogent custom built shock: $997 When fork and shock done together we can discount installation work by 20%.

$1000 on professionally setup suspension, thats great price and a no-brainer.  No mod will give you a bigger bang-per-buck. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 months later...
Another very satisfied CD customer here. Got the shock installed last week, and haven't taken any long or twisty trips yet, but already can tell huge difference riding around town and to work. No more squishy, mushy, wobbly feeling in the rear (of the bike, that is) when cornering. Solid feel, but not harsh at all. Big thanks to Cogent Dynamics, and a wholehearted recommendation to anyone else who's wondering about upgrading.

@Brick how is the new setup riding 2up? And how does it cope with like what I can best describe as having multiple road surfaces, 5 miles would be the newest shiny black asphalt, then next 5 miles are roads that are 10yrs old and practically every crack has a tar snake and every expansion joint pops up like an inch then next 5 miles would be chattery concrete and so on..its like every time they go replace the next chunk of roads its done by the lowest bidder with total ignorance to have very similar/cohesive road surfaces across the local area...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
I haven't had a passenger so no idea on two up.
I have the suspension set up a little on the stiff side. I have no idea how to answer about different surfaces. There are many variables like tires etc... I feel it handed changing surfaces well no pogo just holds the road like good suspension should. Re tar snakes... I have found ones that are ok and ones that have been applied too thick and are dangerous! But that's the same with all bikes!

Brick
1999 Suzuki SV650

Thanks brick... I will have to talk to the vendor then to get a better answer for my question...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Archived