FJ09 as opposed to?

I've never ridden an FZ-07 but previously had a Versys, which I believe is about the same weight and power output (also a parallel twin). All I can say is that the Versys was a solid bike, but I've never looked back. The CP3 motor that's is in the FZ-09 and FJ-09 is so much fun.

If you want to keep the naked look of a bike look at the FZ-09 or XSR900. If you want some wind protection and touring capability go ahead and get you a FJ.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I love my FJ, but if we could get the Tracer 700 in the US (what would be an FJ-07), I think I would have gotten that instead.

I'm not skilled (or brave) enough to exploit all the power of the FJ-09 and sometimes I miss being able to really wring a bike out to it's max like I could do on my CBR500R. Compared to the 09, the 07 is lighter, has better fuel mileage, and enough power for me.

I've ridden an FZ-07 and loved it, but I wanted something for touring and I didn't want to put a lot of work into it to making an FZ-07 more touring suitable. Without the ability to get the Tracer 700, the fight was between the Versys 650, Tiger 800, and the FJ-09. Tiger was quickly off the list because it's too expensive, if felt too big for me (I'm 5'9"), I didn't like it's looks, and I was concerned about quality issues (there seemed to be decent number of anecdotal reports of problems on fan forums). Very, very nearly got the Versys; that was a tough decision. I was fine with the Versys' power, but I liked the FJ's engine character a lot more, the FJ is a little lighter, I could reach the ground better due to how skinny the FJ is, and I preferred the FJ's looks.

If you want the FJ primarily because you want something better suited to touring, I'd say go for it. If you want the FJ primarily because you want the next step up on power and just prefer its looks to the FZ-07 or XSR900, then I'd recommend spending a bit more time on that decision. The power is intoxicating, but outside of the occasional squirt of gas on a straight, I don't really use it.  Twisties are where the real fun is, and I doubt I'm any faster in those than I was with my CBR500R.

@duhs10 Yeah something about that Kawi 650 engine feels very boring, even compared to my Honda 500. Although the BMW F800GT is easily the most boring P-twin I've ridden. However, the FZ-07 is the most exciting parallel twin I've ridden - probably because of 270° crank.

I own both... The FZ-07 is my fun bike to use during the summer months...The FJ-09 is my long distance/ nasty weather bike...If I had to do it all over again I would just choose the FJ-09 due to 10000% better suspension stock wise, the FJ keeps me practically dry during wet weather, where the FZ would leave me drenched, the FJ is more nimble than the FZ in my book...The FJ stock suspension after I adjusted it felt like I had top notch Olins compared to the slight pogo stick suspension of the FZ... Both bikes get very similar MPG but the FZ wins by a hair...I was planning on the FZ-09 but I'm glad my research paid off and told me the FJ has fixed a lot of the stock FZ-09 flaws...I could go all day with comparisons between the FZ-07 and FJ-09 but bottom line is these 2 bikes are like Ying and Yang...I feel my FZ has the upper hand in a 1/8 mile race over the FJ but the FJ would get upper hand past 1/8 mile...The FZ feels noticeably Skinner and body position feels like it's almost at a crotch rocket level compared to the FJ...to be honest the FJ could do away with ABS but that's a deep personal opinion of mine ...just ask questions and I will try my best provide answers...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
The Versys is a very good value but I too found it boring. With any bike, IMHO, ask yourself what you want to do with it and then look at bikes in that category. Way easier than making a bike into something it wasn't designed for. So many choices out there these days it's mind boggling.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
I could be tempted to get the non-existent FJ-10. I want cruise and just a smidge more power. But I love the weight of the FJ-09 and the power is adequate, and fuel mileage is fantastic (I get 45 to 50mpg wringing it out, but that includes fwy travel time), so maybe not.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
The power is intoxicating, but outside of the occasional squirt of gas on a straight, I don't really use it.  Twisties are where the real fun is, and I doubt I'm any faster in those than I was with my CBR500R.
The intoxicating power tends to stand out. I still grin when I think about the first time that I passed a semi truck on a two-lane road. My FJ09 accelerated from 60mph to 100mph in just the length it took to pass the truck. I've been hooked since. And regarding the twisties, I love that the torque can launch me out of one curve up to the next. 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

The power is intoxicating, but outside of the occasional squirt of gas on a straight, I don't really use it.  Twisties are where the real fun is, and I doubt I'm any faster in those than I was with my CBR500R.
The intoxicating power tends to stand out. I still grin when I think about the first time that I passed a semi truck on a two-lane road. My FJ09 accelerated from 60mph to 100mph in just the length it took to pass the truck. I've been hooked since. And regarding the twisties, I love that the torque can launch me out of one curve up to the next.
Yes indeedy.  I giggle like a 10 year old girl at a pajama party every time I blast by another vehicle.  Or, for that matter, just take off from a stop like a big-arsed bird.  My age and skill level don't allow for really aggressive riding in the twisties, but that intoxicating blast of acceleration is almost as good!

I call my FZ-07 an "urban traffic assault vehicle" like the A-10 airplane, it rowdy, got an itchy throttle tube, it a loud and ready to go at all times feeling when my FJ-09 is like the total opposite where it can dabble in the FZ-07 arena but it truly feels like your on a nimble stealth( stock exhaust) F-22 with long distance fuel tanks so you can chase down and taunt them silly crotch rockets in comfort or go a round or 2 at the track...The only thing a big liter crotch rocket has on the FJ is pure top speed rush in my opinion where they are ment to perform...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
The Versys 650LT was the other bike I had considered before deciding on the FJ. When 2015 came out with the revised front end, I really liked it... but reviews of the power plant were rather muted (great commuter, competent, reliable etc.) so I had reservations. I sat on one at a show, and it felt... pedestrian, kind of like getting into a minivan... functional, roomy, responsible... but it's a van!!

Everything is relative.

Your description of the Versys is how I feel about my Tracer since I took a demo ride on the BMW R1200RS, and then bought one.

Of course, if you throw 50% more cash at a bike, it had better be more refined!

I still like the Tracer and rode it to work yesterday despite freezing conditions. Heated grips, bar muffs & a heated waistcoat help.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Thanks riders!  One more question do all FJs come equipped with ABS?
Yes, and before you ask, no, you can't disable it with a button push, but can pull a fuse.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived