Heated vest controled by bike grip controller

popawilly

I put a connector on the heated grips plugs on my FJ 09 and use the bikes electronics to control the heat of my vest. Works great. Plug in the vest then the heated grips control is available. Do not have heated grips. Just using the vest. If anyone is interested, I can post details.

The plug for the grip connectors are the same as a Yamaha turn signal plug. Cheap on ebay. Plug into both grip connectors, connect the power wire (red/yellow) from one grip plug to the positive of the vest connector, then connect the ground (black) wire from the other grip plug to the ground of the vest connector. The yellow wires of each grip plugs are not used. Hope this helps.

The plug for the grip connectors are the same as a Yamaha turn signal plug. Cheap on ebay. Plug into both grip connectors, connect the power wire (red/yellow) from one grip plug to the positive of the vest connector, then connect the ground (black) wire from the other grip plug to the ground of the vest connector. The yellow wires of each grip plugs are not used. Hope this helps.
So if I understand correctly, if you are using the factory heated grips the 'vest connector' is not available, correct?
Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member
Facinating but given I run the OEM heated grips and have both the single and dual digital Warm & Safe Heat trollers which use standard coaxial connectors as do my heated jacket liner, vest, socks and gloves (the latter I've never used on my FJ09), connecting and using the heated grip controls would seem like a PITA given it is a stepped range of only 3 settings while the heat trollers are infinite and seamless with more convenient adjacency, as I velcro one of them to the tank near much left thigh.

• 1 month later...
I am glad I found this thread. I was hoping to use the Oxford Adventure grip heaters with the FJ-09 electronic controller instead of the Oxford controller. I was going to purchase the whole kit from Oxford just in case, but may go ahead and just get the grips individually. I purchased the Yamaha connectors, so this should be an easy install. The grip heaters say they draw less than 4 amps. I will post up how this goes, but unfortunately won't get to it until spring when I take the bike out of storage.

• 6 months later...
The stock heated grips are just that. Heated grips.

There is nothing secret about them, or the technology.

(At least from what I've seen/read/heard/found out.)

SO, yes, you provide a load consistent with "heated grips" or a heated pair of gloves/vest/etc..... You get heat controls built into the stock dash/controls.

Pretty cool. (But not for Yamaha, they want to sell you 250.00 custom grips and a fancy setup to allow you to twist the throttle...)

Archived