What is the colour of your FJ-09?

• Supporting Member

@dazzler24 - It doesnt look bad at all, like you mentioned though, I would be curious as to how sensitive the Plasti-Dip is to gas splashes.

I am for anything that makes the bike unique and "your-own". 

I didn't paint the tank or panels but I added a few silver accents for contrast to break up the black, including the fake air intakes, mesh from a kitchen strainer painted bright silver.

image.thumb.png.604447f8c1aad07d290297012b3f9897.png

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

Have you got original pic for comparison.?

@Dodgy Knees - I'm assuming this was meant for me so here's a before shot but after the K-Tech was installed.  Pretty much a stock standard matt grey/charcoal machine.

Cheers

original.thumb.jpg.74fe77fd268be217ced30c9f1e7ecc5b.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, betoney said:

@dazzler24 - It doesnt look bad at all, like you mentioned though, I would be curious as to how sensitive the Plasti-Dip is to gas splashes.

I am for anything that makes the bike unique and "your-own". 

I didn't paint the tank or panels but I added a few silver accents for contrast to break up the black, including the fake air intakes, mesh from a kitchen strainer painted bright silver.

@betoney - Plastidip is averse to fuel/gasoline and will peel apparently so not the best choice for anything around the tank.  I will have to be extra careful when refueling.  All of my riding is for pleasure/recreation and I almost always fill up at home from jerry cans equipped with a sealed spout.  I can take my time and use some rags around the top of the tank which is a practice that I've followed up to now anyway.  If it doesn't work out and I decide the 'look' is a keeper I'll get it painted with the appropriate paint.

I like your kitchen strainer idea!  As you say novel and unique to your machine.  Thanks for your feedback.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

As you say, you can peel off if you want. Leave a while then decide. I thought these rubber paints were ok with fuel etc..

@Dodgy Knees - This is the FAQ link at dip your car where one of the questions is about gasoline resistance.  The following is an extract.  I think that there are oversprays (from Plastidip) that will help with the issue?  Would have to confirm that though.

HOW DOES PLASTI DIP® HOLD UP TO GASOLINE?

Plasti Dip® is a solvent based coating and does not hold up to exposure to gasoline. Please be careful when filling your tank or working with gasoline around a dipped surface. For everyday use we highly recommend using the DYC Dip Guard Gasoline Protector. The Dip Guard is a universal product that fits almost any gas tank and will give you greater room for error when fueling your Dipped vehicle.

Is Plasti Dip® chemical resistant?

Plasti Dip® protective coating has excellent resistance to acids, alkaline, and most common household chemicals. However, it is best to test this before going ahead with your application. Plasti Dip® does have limited resistance to petroleum based products.

• Thumbsup 1

I suspect the warning about limited resistance to fuel exposure is to stop someone using it coat an object that gets very frequent or even immersion in fuel.  Petrol is so volatile that you could easily be okay with small splashes. You could easily test this if you have some of the paint left by spraying onto a test piece.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, BBB said:

Petrol is so volatile that you could easily be okay with small splashes. You could easily test this if you have some of the paint left by spraying onto a test piece.

@BBB - Good suggestion. I will actually do that purely out of interest.  I've got a tiny bit left in a can so will put a few small coats down and let it cure for a few days, or a week even, before putting it to the test.

However, doing a few google searches just now on the subject doesn't give me a lot of encouragement.  It seems you might be able to get away with the occassional drip as long as you get it cleaned off immediately but that happening over time leads to deterioration it would seem.  There's talk of staining occuring as well in some circumstances.

All this is anecdotal of course so I'm off to the lab (my shed) to prepare for the testing.

• Supporting Member

As promised, I have just returned from a scientifically controlled, exhaustively comprehensive test of the effects of gasoline on Plasti Dip which was all performed in my environmentally controlled lab.

Ok let's break that down: -

• Scientifically controlled - I sprayed a 1L plastic ice cream bucket lid.
  • Exhaustively comprehensive - when the second beer was finished, I got bored.
  • Environmentally controlled lab - my shed with a window opened.

Spoiler alert - gasoline and Plasti Dip aren't friends!  But as always -YMMV.

BS aside - What I actually did was to spray the lid with a few coats of Plasti Dip and let that cure for a couple of days.  Then I sprinkled two corners with some fuel.  Wiped one off pretty well straight away and the other drop I left to sit and evaporate on its own.  See results below: -

Sprayed and cured lid with fuel drops placed top right and bottom right:

1.thumb.jpg.2cfb61216f165db73f8e15878ea4c7b7.jpg

Top right drops having been wiped off almost immediately - not a great result!:

2.thumb.jpg.0cab1abb18933f202eaa8f4e4f697121.jpg

Bottom right drop evaporated - not great either!  BTW The patterning is my thumb print in the softened paint:

3.thumb.jpg.7f06eeb80cbd40ae7befd6f5ecd3f6ba.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 3

Good work Dazzler,

I'd steer clear of tank painting then, or be very careful when refuelling. Other panels should be fine though.   👍

PD could be used as colour match testing,  and if happy with change, get it done proper. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
23 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

Good work Dazzler,

I'd steer clear of tank painting then, or be very careful when refuelling. Other panels should be fine though.   👍

PD could be used as colour match testing,  and if happy with change, get it done proper. 

@Dodgy Knees - Agreed on all points.

On 2/9/2015 at 6:25 AM, Tracerforme said:

Hi Folks,
I thought it would be a fantastic idea to find out what colour FJ-09 you have OR would select?
The production number thread is great, but it doesn't tell us the most selected colour by you, the members!
:'( I don't have one yet....damn Australia! But I will be selecting a Matt Grey colour. It won't go any faster....it'll be fast enough! So, no replies of which colour is faster!
Just for a bit of trivia....

Cheers,
Steve

For what it is worth, not going into the psychology of colour choice in our daily lives, would take too long: but to get to the point of your mundane query, mine is Red, especially after a hard night, Oh, I digress, that's another subject entirely. Yes, mine is Red and sore. There ya go Tracerforme.