What is the colour of your FJ-09?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
This poll needs to be updated as there is a new colour in Europe (Mistral Grey which has blue bits) and another in the US (Raven black)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Mine is in Matt Grey.
"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing.
Rush in and die, dogs — I was a man before I was a king!" -- from t poem "The Road of Kings" by Robt. E. Howard

• 1 month later...
I bought a 2016 silver fj09. At first I felt the matte grey was the best looking color but since I wanted a 2016 I only had a choice of black and silver. The silver model and blue wheels has grown on me and now I think it's my favorite of the four colors.

Fun bike although silly to call it a touring bike. Not that comfortable (seat, pegs, etc) and fender protection is awful in the wet. Try following an fj09 on a rainy day if you don't know what I mean. I know funky fender extenders and such are available but still hardly up to snuff on a touring bike.

Fun motor though.

• Premium Member
I bought a 2016 silver fj09. At first I felt the matte grey was the best looking color but since I wanted a 2016 I only had a choice of black and silver. The silver model and blue wheels has grown on me and now I think it's my favorite of the four colors. 
Fun bike although silly to call it a touring bike. Not that comfortable (seat, pegs, etc) and fender protection is awful in the wet. Try following an fj09 on a rainy day if you don't know what I mean. I know funky fender extenders and such are available but still hardly up to snuff on a touring bike.

Fun motor though.

It's not a touring bike in the sense that an FJR1300, a Pan European or a BMW R1200RT might be touring bikes, but it is a bike you can tour on.

You may disagree with this notion but I and many others manage to tour significant distances on the Tracer/FJ09. Most people adapt the bike in some way with luggage, a better seat and a better screen in my case but the bike in its basic specification, has the makings of a fine example of the universal Japanese motorcycle. Perhaps it is the best yet incarnation of this category of motorcycle, of which there have been many notable examples such as the Yamaha TDM series, XJ900 and XJ600 series, the Suzuki Bandit series, Kawasaki GPZ series and the Honda CB series.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member

Fun motor though.
I think you will like the bike.  It's a riot and, imho, an excellent touring bike.  I road it 3000 miles in 8 days last fall.My perspective is always lighter is better, so bikes like the FJR1300, ST1100, etc., are simply out of the question.  When I arrive at the twisties I want to shred them.  Yes, it can take a fair bit of adding/changing to dial in for your personal preference, but it cost less to start and will always be more agile than a larger bike.  Hope it grows on you.Cheers 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• 2 weeks later...
First, upon reflection I would not have posted anything like saying the fj is not a serious touring bike. Didn't mean it to sound snobbish or offend those touring on the FJ.

And I realize one can tour on anything, and when younger rode hundreds of thousands of miles on bikes I would not call touring bikes. And most were far worse bikes for touring than the Fj when I think about it.

And I am enjoying the FJ and in spite of constant rain I put 1000 miles on it the first week I owned it. (Longest day only 7 hrs though). I just can't stay off the thing.

And I have been acquiring stuff to help make it more versatile like fender ext, heated hand grips, rad guard, saddle bags, more comfortable foot pegs, mirror extensions etc.

And the bike does a good job of entertaining me while eating miles as long as I am driving fairly aggressively to take advantage of the lightness and motor.

But esp in bad weather and mixed road surfaces it's a lot easier on me to pound on miles (esp two up) on say my RT (which I also drive aggressively) Maybe it's an age thing (too much age?)

So I guess I am lucky enough to be able to have multiple bikes and I bought the FJ mostly as a play bike -- the motor makes it is great as that. And with some suspension upgrades I think it will be even more comfortable esp on rougher roads on which my FJ can kind of beat me up at speed. Esp in the rear where the right sharp bump will almost kick me out off of the seat.

Bottom line is motorcycles and tires have really come a long way and I feel we are living in a golden age of choices. We are so lucky.