SH39, SH48, or Yamaha Top Case??

I'm finally going to pull the trigger on some SHAD SH36 hard cases. I want to get a top case as well but am having a hard time deciding which case to go with.

I've been leaning towards the SH39 with the SHAD plate installed on the Yamaha rack. I like the idea that the SH48 holds 2 full face helmets, but that thing looks huge on the back of a FJ.

Just looking for some comments, pictures and opinions on the 2 (or yamaha top case too). Does the SH48 look to big? Negatively affect aerodynamics? Is the size difference between the SH39 and SH48 even enough to worry about?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I recommend the SH36 side cases and the tweener SH46 top case (which the lock set provided with the SH36 also fits). Get the Shad FJ-09 top case mount kit that I believe fits all their top cases (See below). When you install the side case and top case mounts, only one of the sets of spacers are required.

20161126_145908.jpg

20161126_145925.jpg

20161126_150000.jpg

20161126_150014.jpg

I ride alone in the longer trips, so no need for space for two helmets, and I pack light. There's enough space in SH39 to pack a helmet and a jacket, plus some gear (tools, water, tyre repair kit, first aid, etc). For daily use, I find that smaller box is also more practical.

I have the 36/48 Combo. I keep the side cases on all the time (can't lane split here) and just to the top box for touring or long trips with the Ms. (to use the backrest)

I like the 48 because it fits two helmets, so on 2-up day rides we each enough room to leave all our gear with the bike when we stop somewhere. Also it's (just) big enough to fit a standard size 4 person tent, and sleeping bag, air mattress, pillow.

• Premium Member
I have the 36/48 Combo. I keep the side cases on all the time (can't lane split here) and just to the top box for touring or long trips with the Ms. (to use the backrest) 
I like the 48 because it fits two helmets, so on 2-up day rides we each enough room to leave all our gear with the bike when we stop somewhere. Also it's (just) big enough to fit a standard size 4 person tent, and sleeping bag, air mattress, pillow.

The SH46 holds 2 Lg helmets or 1 XL & 1 Med and its interior shape is optimum IMO 

http://www.shadonline.com/SHAD-SH46-TOP-CASE-p/d0b4600.htm

I like the size and capabilities of the SH48 and SH46, but I think the SH39 matches the looks of the bike and SH36 cases best.

Thanks for the replies and pictures. Not many people have the Yamaha top case I guess...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I have an SH-48. It holds the usual junk (rain coat, disc lock, tire gauge, ...) plus during the week my work backpack with 15 inch laptop.

Now that I'm used to it, I wouldn't want anything smaller.

I also have SH-36 side cases, but I don't use them most of the time, because where I'm living, lane splitting is allowed. (I also took the hand guards off...)

• 2 weeks later...
I have owned the givi V46 with the LED brake and Indicator light kit from admore lighting.
It is mounted on my yamaha fj09 and will hold my helmet and jacket or 2 helmets. Money well spent. Not to big , not to small.
I'm also getting good visability with the light kit.

15f70a7e394ac06b2dc0e3623e185e45.jpg

7a10316c4b86adb3152cb9a1c6cafaad.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but I like the look of the Shad 39

I agree.. the SH39 matches the SH36s perfectly. Just worried I'm going for form over function so I wanted some input. I'm still leaning toward the SH39, I just don't think I need anything bigger.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Guest autobiker
I have the Kappa K47 top case which is about the same size as the SH48. It looks huge on the svelte FJ-09 and I suspect it contributes to high-speed instability, too. Since I ride solo most of the time and don't need so much storage space, I've removed it and put it on the local classifieds. I may get the SH39 if my FJR side cases prove to hinder my rush-hour lane-splitting.
Here's a pic. Notice how ginormous the K47 looks even with the FJR cases mounted. Bigger is not always better. YMMV though.

e7ddd5e580a0a92196044eefe1bbceb4.jpg