SH39, SH48, or Yamaha Top Case??

Guest autobiker
famous last words :P . The photos make lots of things look goofy on the FJ. Something about it that only makes it photogenic from certain angles.... but hey, I think you've already made up your mind... and perhaps you should just follow your instinct on this one.
I regretted nearly every time I didn't follow my instinct. In this instance, you're choosing between two good cases. Both are popular and should be easy to sell on the used market should you decide to get the other size. I'd just buy the one that looks better to me at this point.

By the way I find that my FJ looks weird with the Yamaha Euro rear luggage rack (the one that resembles the SW-Motech Alu Rack) and FJR cases. I think I'll remove the rack and reinstall the passenger grab rails for now, until I find a good deal on the SH39.

• 3 weeks later...
I went with the sh39, and as I always have my top case on, and hardly ever my side cases, I wish I would have gone with one of the larger top boxes. I always have a tire patch kit, guage, rain poncho and a few tools in there. I have to move things around to get my helmet to fit. I cannot fit a helmet and jacket. I'm not 100% sure, but I also think the build quality on the sh39 may not be as good. While mine has held up fine, it feels a little more cheaply made than the sh36's. And I've read the opposite about the 46 and 49. If your concerned about looks, I had to request the carbon fiber plate to make mine match, so there may be a similar item for the 46 and 49.
13529267_10100729021167973_6977580643082113949_n.jpg

• Premium Member
I went with the sh39, and as I always have my top case on, and hardly ever my side cases, I wish I would have gone with one of the larger top boxes. I always have a tire patch kit, guage, rain poncho and a few tools in there. I have to move things around to get my helmet to fit. I cannot fit a helmet and jacket. I'm not 100% sure, but I also think the build quality on the sh39 may not be as good. While mine has held up fine, it feels a little more cheaply made than the sh36's. And I've read the opposite about the 46 and 49. If your concerned about looks, I had to request the carbon fiber plate to make mine match, so there may be a similar item for the 46 and 49. 13529267_10100729021167973_6977580643082113949_n.jpg
That looks very nice! The combination of the side bags and top case is well integrated into the lines and looks of the bike. Going larger might have provided greater utility, but it would have looked awkward. IMHO
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I stuck the SH48 on mine for pure practicalities sake.  I've never seen top boxes as items of beauty.

The "carbon fibre" trim panel is an exact match for the Tracer panels BTW.

IMAG01841.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member
That looks very nice! The combination of the side bags and top case is well integrated into the lines and looks of the bike. Going larger might have provided greater utility, but it would have looked awkward. IMHO
...for reference, here's my rig with SH48. Need my top case for commuting... side cases to take stuff on trips. 

Yeah, I'm not a big fan how a top box looks, but simply can't argue with the utilitarian aspects of it. I've got the Yamaha 39L with the FJR1300 hard bags. It looks so much better without it. IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

...for reference, here's my rig with SH48. Need my top case for commuting... side cases to take stuff on trips. 

Yeah, I'm not a big fan how a top box looks, but simply can't argue with the utilitarian aspects of it. I've got the Yamaha 39L with the FJR1300 hard bags. It looks so much better without it. IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

Ahhh, those pictures look like... home! (or at least someplace real close by)

Clint, what did you coat the FJR bags with? Paint? Peel-coat?
Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member

IMG_1207.jpg

You, me and @brick need to get together when things warm up and take trip for a few days. The first pic is on WV-150 Highland Scenic Highway up near Marlinton, WV. The second is on Spruce Knob also in WV. 
The finish on those bags are known as "unpainted" by Yamaha. They were available at one time in the U.S. It's a nice matte finish. 

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member

You, me and @brick need to get together when things warm up and take trip for a few days. The first pic is on WV-150 Highland Scenic Highway up near Marlinton, WV. The second is on Spruce Knob also in WV. 
The finish on those bags are known as "unpainted" by Yamaha. They were available at one time in the U.S. It's a nice matte finish. 

Sounds like a great idea to me! ?

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Sounds like a great idea to me! ?
Would that make us the Three Stooges?
Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member
IMG_1207.jpg
...is that a Sargent seat Clint? Looks good on the bike... I was concerned it woul look awkward, but it does not. How do you find it?... me wants one.
Yes, that's a Sargent Seat. I had a Seat Concepts seat before and the difference is significant.IMG_0892.JPG
Also, the little bouncy play in the OEM seat is gone with the Sargent seat! It requires a more forceful push to engage the lock. When it's there, it's not moving at all! The Carbon FX matches the Seat Concepts rear very nicely.

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I like the looks of this top case, but doesn't seem to be available to purchase from SHAD's website.

http://shadusa.com/wp/sh58-cases

@Piotrek I also have the sargent seat... I don't think it looks awkward at all (especially when you are sitting on it). Definite improvement over stock. I have the "grippier" Performance Plus cover on mine.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA