deer strike caused this

firus

okay….now an fj owner . Took out a deer 3 weeks ago with the fjr (no, 3) and now replaced with a 2015 fj with 10000km. should be fun .will join the stable with my super tenere which is south in arizona, and my Bandit here is saskatchewan. the dirt bikes aren't counted. May not see mileage till spring….cold as hell here now, tho no snow yet. Back to Az. in 3 week to rack up miles on the Super T which I just bought new in Sept. See how this performs in spring….should be entertaining. Been on 2 wheels for 43 years….still a blast  ::)

okay….now an fj owner . Took out a deer 3 weeks ago with the fjr (no, 3) and now replaced with a 2015 fj with 10000km. should be fun .will join the stable with my super tenere which is south in arizona, and my Bandit here is saskatchewan. the dirt bikes aren't counted. May not see mileage till spring….cold as hell here now, tho no snow yet. Back to Az. in 3 week to rack up miles on the Super T which I just bought new in Sept. See how this performs in spring….should be entertaining. Been on 2 wheels for 43 years….still a blast  ::)  
Welcome to FJ 09.org, it has been fun for me.  Also welcome to the 3x club for deer strikes.  I had my 2nd in Aug and 3rd in Sept of this year.  Two on FJR's and one on the FJ.  Didn't go down with the FJR's but did go down with the FJ.  Wasn't hurt in any of them.  Lucky, lucky and lucky again.  Look the site over and you will find most issues covered here.  Rode the FJR's home and even more, but not the FJ.  I like the FJR's more for deer strikes because the handlebars are better protected by the front fairing.  Well, have fun here, lots of good folks to help if you need it.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Supporting Member
A deer strike is the reason that I own an FJ and became a member here.  I just picked up my FJ this evening after hitting a deer and totaling my FZ1 in September. 

Redfjniner - 3x deer strikes?  I'm not sure I could continue.  My incident scared the hell out of me and has me paranoid coming around a blind corner.  I see you are from Vancouver, were your encounters local here? I was West of Chehalis on Bunker Creek Rd. @ about 60mph.  I am forcing myself to bite the bullet and soldier on.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Redfjniner - 3x deer strikes?  I'm not sure I could continue.  My incident scared the hell out of me and has me paranoid coming around a blind corner.  I see you are from Vancouver, were your encounters local here? I was West of Chehalis on Bunker Creek Rd. @ about 60mph.  I am forcing myself to bite the bullet and soldier on.

You can read about my Washington deer strike here.  My 2016 Montana deer strike here.  My first deer was in 2012 in Montana and you can read about that here.  After the first strike I was a little nervous continuing on Hwy 12 towards Idaho, if you are familure with that  road, a deer can pop it's head out anywhere for 100 miles.  I got over it before I got home the following day.  The second one didn't seam to phase me as I really didn't ride for a month and a half.  The third strike effected me the most as it happen with in two months of the one in Montana.  It didn't cause as much impact or damage, but due to the limited time between the one in Montana and the one at the  NE corner of Washington, I couldn't help think that another was going to spring out from every swale or clump of trees.  I had only ridden about 1200 miles between them.  Speeding around corners on twisty roads, I pretty much forget about deer, but most roads aren't twisty.  You just need to relax again.  Take a track day to forget, focus on the ride.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Supporting Member
redfjniner
Thanks so much for the reply.  You are right on about thinking that they will again jump out of any clump of grass at any time, and that fear is what I need to overcome.  To some it would have been so easy to say "slow down or pick a safer hobby, next time you wont be so lucky", but motorcycling has been my passion for over 40 years and I "needed" to get back in the saddle to move forward. - Baby steps.
I hope that I never have to experience that again, but your experiences are proof that it is possible to overcome the fear and continue riding. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived