Slight oil weep...

martyl

• Premium Member
Slight oil weep on left side of engine by (excuse my non-discription) big round cover that has big hex nut on it. The weep is by the round allen head bolt that is to the left of the big hex nut. Just an oil film developed but noticeable, not a drip. Question: What's the allen head bolt for? Does it have a gasket/washer? Torque setting of it?
Other than that, bike runs like a top (Throws salt over shoulder...).
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
as with any leak, clean it off and see if it returns to rule out road grime, spillage from a top up etc
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
If you read martyl's initially post he is asking about one of the securing round allen head bolts to the left of the timing access hole. It looks like they are 11 ft lbs.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Slight oil weep on left side of engine by (excuse my non-discription) big round cover that has big hex nut on it. The weep is by the round allen head bolt that is to the left of the big hex nut. Just an oil film developed but noticeable, not a drip. Question: What's the allen head bolt for? Does it have a gasket/washer? Torque setting of it? Other than that, bike runs like a top (Throws salt over shoulder...).
Had the same weep age happen after the Dealer replaced the CCT. The allen bolt is removed to find the top dead center marking. Dealer didn't replace the copper gasket (!?)  so it started to leak and didn't have one when I called. It's an 8mm IIRC and any copper or aluminum washer will work, just needs to be thin to fit in the recess in the cover. Just went by an independent dealer I'm friendly with and picked up two copper washers for 50 cents. As mentioned torque is 11 ft/lb. 

Guest reeseyboy
If you read martyl's initially post he is asking about one of the securing round allen head bolts to the left of the timing access hole. It looks like they are 11 ft lbs.

My bad. There's a copper crush washer behind that one.

• Premium Member
Sorry I took so long to respond I'm at a Ural rally. From the diagram above its weeping from Allen bolt number 16. And yes I did have my dealer replace the CCT under warranty. I guess I'll need a new o washer...?
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Sorry I took so long to respond I'm at a Ural rally. From the diagram above its weeping from Allen bolt number 16. And yes I did have my dealer replace the CCT under warranty. I guess I'll need a new o washer...?
Call your Dealer & tell him that copper washer is supposed to be replaced anytime the bolt is removed. Unfortunately it appears a new copper washer is not included with the CCT kit. Yamaha "assumes" the Dealer will have it in stock and replace it and appears your Dealer (and mine) did not replace it (SM even admitted when I brought it up to him that they did not replace it.) Tell the Dealer you demand one at NC. You can easily replace it yourself. 

If this is going to be a DIY job anyway, my first order of business would be to remove the bolt, clean the mating surfaces and the washer... and re-torque. I am assuming the old washer is still in there? They certainly owe you a new washer... but the old one should not be leaking if reinstalled clean and tight. These things can last may re-uses unless deformed/scored by debris.
Of course give this a try. Didn't work for me though for some reason. 

Archived