The Not so Budget FJ-09

I have been pining for a S1000XR. Over the next couple years, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm stupid enough to buy it. Until then, I'm pretty happy with the FJ. For me, an even bigger issue than the premium bike experience (maintenance, high part costs and what not), the closest BMW dealership is over 100 miles away from my house. I'm jealous of @wessie
If you're really pining for a S1000XR then I strongly suggest you ride one!  That was one bike I was lucky enough to avoid owning even though the dealer would have happily taken another fistful of my money to trade the RS for it.  I found it cramped and buzzy.  My friend has one and loves the bike but has had charging systems issues with it.  Been back and forth to the dealer several times.  Same old same old there's nothing wrong with the bike.  My friend has several BMWs, I think 4 and he is as big of a Beemer guy as there is and even he is getting frustrated with the problem.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was hot for an XR until BMW announced the price. I still might have bought one, but they took forever getting them to market, and I bought the FJ-09. I also feel like I dodged a bullet! ;)

I've owned BMW and Ducati, as well as the big 4 from Japan... I've said it before, and I'll say it again here:

What the Italians call "character", the Japanese engineer out, and the Germans deny implicitly.

My FJ9 didn't inspire the lust, or make the beautiful noises my Duc did, but all in all, it's a helluva lot more fun! :D

I do not have, and will never have, the resources for a premium bike. The FJ was a stretch for me, financially.

Like several folks in this thread, I HAVE managed to dodge a bullet more through dumb luck than skill and planning.

When the urge for a new bike got too strong to resist, the object of my lust was a Yamaha SCR950, the V-twin "scrambler" based on the Bolt.

The local dealer was having trouble getting his hands on one, and the summer was trickling away, so one day when I went to pester him about the scrambler again, I test drove the FJ. Rode it home that afternoon. About $2000 more than I planned to spend, but worth every dime in retrospect.

Also, the independent test videos (rather than the factory and magazine fanboys) confirm the impression I got while riding my daughter's Bolt: the SCR rates a solid "meh." The engine has all the character of a Yugo, the bike is seriously overweight, the ergonomics are off and the handling is mediocre. I'd have been seriously bummed...

I was hot for an XR until BMW announced the price. I still might have bought one, but they took forever getting them to market, and I bought the FJ-09. I also feel like I dodged a bullet! ;) 
I've owned BMW and Ducati, as well as the big 4 from Japan... I've said it before, and I'll say it again here:

What the Italians call "character", the Japanese engineer out, and the Germans deny implicitly.

My FJ9 didn't inspire the lust, or make the beautiful noises my Duc did, but all in all, it's a helluva lot more fun! :D
Yeah, you dodged a bullet. JMHO, An exhaust, re-map and quick-shifter gives the FJ some "character".....or at least something that resembles it :)

I have no doubts I'll have problems if I get the BMW. My financial situation has changed since I got the FJ though. It felt like a stretch to spend the money for the FJ at the time I got it. With my job change, it won't be that big of a stretch to do the BMW anymore as long as I pay off the FJ first. My motorcycle is my toy. I don't need a reliable toy. I want an exciting toy with lots of tech gadgets. For now, the FJ has been enough excitement. The extra ~50 hp and electronic gizmos feels like a logical next step when that time comes. If my wife will let me, I'll keep the FJ for when the BMW is in the shop. lol. For now though, I'm not going anywhere.

I did have pretty good luck with my Speed Triple and I think Triumph has done a pretty good job with there stuff. I put 10,000 miles over three years on the Speed and only problem I ever had was needing to replace a radiator cap. It was puking coolant and the cap fixed it. Plus a buddy of mine has a Tiger that has been bulletproof over three years and several thousand miles. BUT, in the price range we are getting the FJ for I am extremely happy with my FJ. It has the kind of comfort I've never had before and have a couple days on it in the 600 mile range. Plus that engine is a real ball! I came from an FZ1 and the Speed and am very pleased with this bike. If I had the coin I'd love to put a pipe on it and do the reflash. As far as suspension, I did some changes to the settings and it's not near as bad as it was. It could be better, but it's not terrible. Either that or I don't know any better. LOL I love my FJ and the kid is usually wanting to ride it to when he gets a chance.

• Premium Member
I have been pining for a S1000XR. Over the next couple years, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm stupid enough to buy it. Until then, I'm pretty happy with the FJ. For me, an even bigger issue than the premium bike experience (maintenance, high part costs and what not), the closest BMW dealership is over 100 miles away from my house. I'm jealous of @wessie
having my dealers so close by gets expensive 
this place has a branch across the road from the Yamaha dealer http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/ and the Triumph dealer keeps winking at me when I stop at the nearby Shell station to fill the tank. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I have no doubts I'll have problems if I get the BMW. My financial situation has changed since I got the FJ though. It felt like a stretch to spend the money for the FJ at the time I got it. With my job change, it won't be that big of a stretch to do the BMW anymore as long as I pay off the FJ first. My motorcycle is my toy. I don't need a reliable toy. I want an exciting toy with lots of tech gadgets. For now, the FJ has been enough excitement. The extra ~50 hp and electronic gizmos feels like a logical next step when that time comes. If my wife will let me, I'll keep the FJ for when the BMW is in the shop. lol. For now though, I'm not going anywhere.
the S1000XR is getting an overhaul for 2017 with the vibe problem addressed allegedly 
I had planned to ride one to compare with the R1200RS but I was swayed by the test ride of the boxer. I have an irrational dislike of inline 4s which colours my judgement so I would not have been persuaded anyway :) 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Damn you!  Stop giving me reasons to want it more!  lol.  I had quit looking at it for the time being because I knew it had vibe issues, but I wanted it anyway.  Now with that fixed, I want it more.  I had to look it up again and I quite like the Metallic Blue.   

Damn you!  Stop giving me reasons to want it more!  lol.  I had quit looking at it for the time being because I knew it had vibe issues, but I wanted it anyway.  Now with that fixed, I want it more.  I had to look it up again and I quite like the Metallic Blue.   

You'll be sorry!  This is the voice of experience speaking.  I could afford the BMW too but I sure miss the money now that it's gone.  I miss the bike about as much as a toothache. :)    

Thanks for sharing, Donk! I plan on looking for an FJ in spring. I've had 2 Ducati experiences (1 good, 1 bad) but have never gone the BMW route. There is nothing wrong with my present bike, and '09 Triumph Street Triple R, but I've had it a few years and would like something that lends itself to light touring, commuting, and can handle the crap roads we have in the great white north. The FJ fits my budget and I love the triple motor I have on my Triumph.

Yes, I plan on doing upgrades to the suspension and fueling. For the most part if you monitor any forum for any brand and make of bike, there will be tons of posts on suspension upgrades, mapping, seats, windshields, etc. Seems like no matter what the bike comes with people want to change and upgrade.

• Premium Member
Thank you for this post, @donk!

When I bought the FJ, I had also been looking a little at the Multi and the Hyper and wondering, what if... The Hyper, fun as it was, seemed less versatile than the FJ, and the Multi seemed like overkill for most of the kinds of riding that I do. The FJ seemed like it was a bull's-eye for me, AND maintenance/reliability for the Ducatis seemed like an unknown, even with their longer valve check intervals. I have a tremendous independent garage whom I trust--they steered me away from the Ducatis despite the fact that one of them owns one, and they would have made more money fixing mine for me.

I'm sorry for your suffering, but thank you for sharing your story so that others might learn from it.

Maybe some day I'll have a gazillion bikes, in which case some of them might be Ducatis, but for now, I'm very happy with the FJ, and its new little sister (a BV-350 scooter for around town, who so far seems great).

All this talk of the relative reliability of different manufacturers....after 70 odd bikes from just about every major manufacturer (with the exception of Ducati) my 2 cents is that it's actually pretty hard to get a bad motorcycle nowadays, at least compared to 30 years ago. I think I've shied away from Ducati based on the experience of riding buddies but I personally never understood brand loyalty to the exclusion of even considering other brands. One of my last bikes (an Aprilia Tuono Factory Edition) was owned by a guy in his 70's. He said he has owned over 400 motorcycles in his life and usually bought several new bikes every year. He had at least 20 nice bikes in his shop at the time. He was an engineer and master mechanic and could dive into any motorcycle engine without concern. He told me had bought his last Ducati and would not buy another again. (He loved Aprilias though) Seems to me he was a little hard on Ducati's. For sure, all the manufacturers have their own distinctive personalities built into their bikes. A couple of decades ago I had a great conversation with Kunihiko Miwa (designer of the Yamaha R1). His English skills were pretty good, he summarized the big 4 UJM's as "Suzuki=bold, Kawasaki=fast, Yamaha=exciting, Honda=best overall"....I can see why he felt that way. I wonder if he had input on the FJ?

cat.jpg

Archived