The Not so Budget FJ-09

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought the Ducati far superior to the BMW mechanically and it certainly was more fun to ride. As strange as that sounds my Beemer had several mechanical issues, the Ducati none. Ducati was also much more open and responsive to warranty issues. I think the BMWs of the last century were far superior bikes to the ones they make now.

I thought the Ducati far superior to the BMW mechanically and it certainly was more fun to ride. As strange as that sounds my Beemer had several mechanical issues, the Ducati none. Ducati was also much more open and responsive to warranty issues. I think the BMWs of the last century were far superior bikes to the ones they make now.
Used to hang out in the BMW Service Dept. on Saturday mornings when a friend was SM. You would not believe the problems/issues the new (last 2-3 years) these bikes have. Recalls galore, MAJOR engine failures, cam-bus electrical issues that were head scratchers. And yes, BMW NA refuses to admit there are problems. 

Used to hang out in the BMW Service Dept. on Saturday mornings when a friend was SM. You would not believe the problems/issues the new (last 2-3 years) these bikes have. Recalls galore, MAJOR engine failures, cam-bus electrical issues that were head scratchers. And yes, BMW NA refuses to admit there are problems.
Things haven't changed since the late 70's. I once owned one of their cars. Never again. A design flaw resulted in 90+% cracked cylinder heads, and they wouldn't admit the mistake. 

Just for the record, I have had four or five Beemers. Never any failures or real problems with any of them. Only real failure I had was the antennae for the key authorization which was handled under warranty. Also, they are really easy for routine maintenance work (thinking of boxers here). If I had more funds, I'd likely get another one. The FJ09 is a great alternative for me :-))

Just for the record, I have had four or five Beemers. Never any failures or real problems with any of them. Only real failure I had was the antennae for the key authorization which was handled under warranty. Also, they are really easy for routine maintenance work (thinking of boxers here). If I had more funds, I'd likely get another one. The FJ09 is a great alternative for me :-))
You must be one of the lucky few! :)    
I like what Bike magazine says about the FJ-09, "Don't buy a GS without considering one(FJ-09)"

• Premium Member
I've owned a bunch of BMW boxers over the last 20 years and have had some minor issues but have never had one break down on me and I ran the he'll out of a few of them bikes. I allways buy bikes used since the new ones are overpriced, any recalls and other issues have usually already been dealt with by the previous owner and since the beemers come with a 3 year warranty I usually have a bit of that left as well.

Most BMW's problems happen when they come out with new or upgraded model or some new technology like abs or esa, or a redesigned rear drive system or some other crazy crap to complicate things and cause headaches for the dealers here in the states. And it is true that the Germans don't like to admit when they screw up but unfortunately it appears that the Japanese, Italians and many other manufactures are starting to believe that their chit don't stink either.

BLB

Guest autobiker
I like what Bike magazine says about the FJ-09, "Don't buy a GS without considering one(FJ-09)"

I sold my R1200GS and bought an FJ-09. For me, the cost of owning the Beemer was simply not worth it. The Yamaha is giving me way more smiles per dollar (and per mile). 

• Premium Member
Donk - So glad you are still with us. A very close friend just lost her brother to cancer and it hurts us seeing her suffer.

I have owned two Ducati's (93' 750SS and 2000 996). The 750SS made the most glorious sound starting. It just exploded into life. I put 48k miles on it before I sold it. The 996 was a waste unless on a track, so I raced it in the AFM for 2 years. Wow! It was a magical thing.
Three Triumph triples (Speed Triples and a Daytona 675) and knees that could no longer handle the sport bike crouch told me my 'Dad bike' had to be a triple. The FJ was the sportiest one available. I have dumped about $4k into suspension, brake lines, windscreen, heated grips, cruise control, crash protection, additional lights, soft luggage and a rear luggage rack. The bike hauls ass, handles very well and has taken me to Utah, Death Valley, Canada and numerous other places much closer to my northern California home. Nearly 15k miles in 19 months. I love it! Most of my trips are in the company of friends on 2015 Multistrada's and a 2015 R1200GS. They love their bikes too, but the only time they are 'better' is when we take dirt roads and they can flick into dirt mode and I get my teeth rattled due to my sportbike settings.

I hope you find the bike you want or the bike you can fix to your liking. Have you checked out the Multistrada 950? If I were looking that would get a serious checking out.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• 3 weeks later...
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for sharing. I've owned 3 BMW's and didn't want to go down the road of pain and pleasure again so I bought the FJ. I upgraded it immediately and now I love it. The other day I was thinking "Gee, I could have bought a multi strada" and your post was exactly what I needed to get my head straight.  
Upgrades:

[ul type=disc][*]Ohlins Shock with remote preload adjuster
[*]Ohlins fork cartridge kit[*]MC Cruise electronic cruise control[*]Premium tires[*]CEE Bailey windscreen (on the shelf, I'll only use it when its really cold)[*]ECU reflash[*]Yosh fender eliminator[*]Top case rack and case[*]NEEDS: Heated grips[/ul]
Again, thank you for the head check and go get a great deal on a left over new bike and upgrade it or buy a used one "pre farkled".  You won't regret it and if you do, just re-read your post here!

15350600_10154735127862170_7388086013570140375_n.jpg

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for sharing. I've owned 3 BMW's and didn't want to go down the road of pain and pleasure again so I bought the FJ. I upgraded it immediately and now I love it. The other day I was thinking "Gee, I could have bought a multi strada" and your post was exactly what I needed to get my head straight.  
Upgrades:

[ul type=disc][*]Ohlins Shock with remote preload adjuster
[*]Ohlins fork cartridge kit[*]MC Cruise electronic cruise control[*]Premium tires[*]CEE Bailey windscreen (on the shelf, I'll only use it when its really cold)[*]ECU reflash[*]Yosh fender eliminator[*]Top case rack and case[*]NEEDS: Heated grips[/ul]
Again, thank you for the head check and go get a great deal on a left over new bike and upgrade it or buy a used one "pre farkled".  You won't regret it and if you do, just re-read your post here!

15350600_10154735127862170_7388086013570140375_n.jpg

I bought a V-Stream windshield over a year ago.  It is slightly better than the stock screen but it is still very, very noisy.  I bought the middle height touring shield and I'm 6ft.  If I crouch down a few inches then it is quiet as can be.  Looks like I'm back to looking for a windshield.  I've heard good things about Madstad, in fact, the manufacturer is only an hour from me so I may stop by.  From pics that I've seen, they don't look great but at this point I'm about functionality.  I've also heard good things about Cee Baileys windshields.  Just looking to see why you chose your shield, how it is working and what is your height?  Also, do you where a full helmet?  Thanks!

I sold my R1200GS and bought an FJ-09. For me, the cost of owning the Beemer was simply not worth it. The Yamaha is giving me way more smiles per dollar (and per mile).
Ditto. 

I never quite got my head around the 3mm of rear wheel side to side wobble. I thought my bike had an issue, until I went round the show room and tried some new bikes with zero miles.  Final drive rebuilds at 40k miles - a chain can last 30k.  

I can't say I didn't enjoy the GS but I never bonded with it.  Even with Nitron shocks fore and aft...standard shocks are appalling, rear failing at 6000 miles.

The Tracer, however, makes me grin. :)
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I've also heard good things about Cee Baileys windshields.  Just looking to see why you chose your shield, how it is working and what is your height?  Also, do you where a full helmet?  Thanks!
I always wear a full coverage helmet and never go farther than a couple of miles without foam earplugs.  The Cee Bailey is great, but so big and "in the way" for sport riding.  My plan is to install the larger windscreen only when taking a longer distance tour during colder months.  The shield is wider and taller with an aero shape which seems to produce a large still air pocket.   I imagine it would be much much better in rain. 
Edit: I chose Cee Bailey because I've had a few of them in the past and always loved them.

Archived