47 National Parks, The Lower 48, 30 Days

desertfjr

I ran across this article on another forum.
Optimized NP Trip
Looks like a young lad from the University of Penn created a route that gets you to entrance of all 47 National Parks located in the lower 48 in the shortest distance, 14,498 miles. By 2018 I will be an empty-nester and I am just young enough yet to think I can could pull this off. Not on the FJ by any stretch, but I think the FJR is up to the task. A September 1 departure starting out from Voyagers and swinging around the country clockwise. The east coast appears to be the drudgery of the trip. Out west looks like pure heaven. Going to require a fair bit of advance planning...I assume at least one tire change assuming I don't go to the dark side. A couple oil changes in there and I should be good to go.
So who else is game???
8D

• Premium Member
That looks like a great ride. No way could I go in September though, that's the busy time at my work.

The route goes right through my town in Oregon. If I'm in town I have crash space.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
I ran across this article on another forum. Optimized NP Trip
Looks like a young lad from the University of Penn created a route that gets you to entrance of all 47 National Parks located in the lower 48 in the shortest distance, 14,498 miles. By 2018 I will be an empty-nester and I am just young enough yet to think I can could pull this off. Not on the FJ by any stretch, but I think the FJR is up to the task. A September 1 departure starting out from Voyagers and swinging around the country clockwise. The east coast appears to be the drudgery of the trip. Out west looks like pure heaven. Going to require a fair bit of advance planning...I assume at least one tire change assuming I don't go to the dark side. A couple oil changes in there and I should be good to go.
So who else is game???
8D
I have a FJR in the garage, but find the FJ just as capable.  I have put 45K in the last 30 months on the FJ and only around 4K on the FJR, I love her but the FJ just feels better for me.  Only posting for others that may only have a FJ and want to 15K in one trip.  It is doable and in comfort, for me, more comfort than my FJR. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

September is cutting it close for some parks like Rocky Mountain NP, Glacier and other high elevation parks. That is the beginning of Snow season. They may not close that park but it may put a damper on things.

One other note or question. Why would you take the time to go to every park entrance and not visit the park? Make the trip worth your while. Add a month of riding to boot. 

• 2 weeks later...
If this were a park tour, I may consider "visiting" the parks. But, alas, it is not that kind of trip. More like a rally where each park is a bonus location. Not sure if I will try for 1K per day, but my goal right now is to try and do it inside the month with plenty of days to spare.

Archived