Long Rides

Just wondering what are the longest distances members have ridden the FJ-09 in a day.  I'm looking to buy another FJ-09 and I tend to go for some pretty long day rides.  400-600 miles is not uncommon occasionally more.  If riding back roads 8-10 hour days are the norm.  My Super Tenere was great for it and to be honest I never used the first FJ-09 for more than a few hours at a time.  Maybe that was the problem!  Anyway thanks for the input.

• Premium Member
Just wondering what are the longest distances members have ridden the FJ-09 in a day.  I'm looking to buy another FJ-09 and I tend to go for some pretty long day rides.  400-600 miles is not uncommon occasionally more.  If riding back roads 8-10 hour days are the norm.  My Super Tenere was great for it and to be honest I never used the first FJ-09 for more than a few hours at a time.  Maybe that was the problem!  Anyway thanks for the input.

815 miles in 1 day.
4500 in 6.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
Hope you have / or will replace your stock seat first!

• Premium Member
400 miles would be okay - I would not choose to do 600 miles in a day unless I was riding a K1600GTL down a German autobahn at 120mph. That would be so boring though, so I'd probably fly!

300 miles is better if riding scenic roads in Europe. With the OE screen and seat changed.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Hope you have / or will replace your stock seat first!
Sorry, slight off topic content. I know the stock seat gets a lot of bad reviews, but I  find it one of the most comfortable seats I've ever ridden.  On other bikes, I've tried home made upgrades, Russell, Mayer, Corbin, Sargent, Seat Concepts, OEM tall/short/gel, and a few other custom seat makers.
For me, it's not so much the foam or shape, but how wide my knees are.  The FJ is narrower compared to a FZ1, V Strom, Tiger 1050, FJ1200, and ZX9.  The only other bike I've ridden that seem narrow is my KTM 950SM.  
I just picked up my FJ 09 in October and the longest ride was about 300 miles.  I felt a lot better at the end than any other bike I've owned.

Done a few 600-700 mile days on mine. Stock seat with Beadrider. Stock screen.

I'm approaching the 50 mark, and I think that's all I want to do any more. Ten years ago, I would easily do 800-1k/day, longest was 1349 in 22hrs on a VStrom 1k. I didn't have an FJ9 then, but could have easily done that mileage (800-1k) on it.

The light weight is a trade off for the better aero at speed of something like an FJ13 or Concourse, and the seating position is a little more comfortable for me these days.

Seats are seats... some work, others don't, and it's a very individual thing.

I did a slightly over 600 mile day and a few more just short of that. I got a pair of riding shorts for the long ride and have found this bike to be the most comfortable I've had. At the end of that long day my tush was sore, but I felt like I could've done a bunch more miles. I have much more legroom on this bike which has made it quite a bit easier on the knees. My former FZ1 had slightly less leg room and the SV and Speed had much less legroom. This makes a huge difference for me when doing 10+ hours in the saddle.

• Premium Member
My longest day so far on the FJ is 998 miles in 23.5 hours. The 998 is GPS-corrected mileage; the odometer claimed 1100 miles. This was mostly on twisty roads. I've also done a few 500-600 mile days.

I have a custom Mr. Ed's Moto seat and a large V-Stream windshield. No comfort issues really, the FJ is a great long-distance platform. Even the vibration seems to disappear over long rides. The light weight compared to other sport tourers is a key benefit because I can do long rides on interesting roads with less fatigue.

My only complaint is I wish the fuel range was a little better.

My longest day so far on the FJ is 998 miles in 23.5 hours. The 998 is GPS-corrected mileage; the odometer claimed 1100 miles. This was mostly on twisty roads. I've also done a few 500-600 mile days.  

My only complaint is I wish the fuel range was a little better.

My experience with GPS mileage is that due to various atmospheric conditions, trees overhead, tight canyons, finding satellites after a stop, sometimes poor electrical connections - it usually under-estimates distance traveled. And, since the speedometer is not linked to the odometer (as it is with mechanical gauges), you're probably better off using odo reading than GPS.

• Premium Member
My experience with GPS mileage is that due to various atmospheric conditions, trees overhead, tight canyons, finding satellites after a stop, sometimes poor electrical connections - it usually under-estimates distance traveled. And, since the speedometer is not linked to the odometer (as it is with mechanical gauges), you're probably better off using odo reading than GPS.
Agreed. If you track your route with GPS and then examine it, you can find that the track sometimes cuts corners. The resulting distance measurement is less than that actually traveled.  

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Archived