Long Rides

• Premium Member
I've done 4 day trips of 400-500 miles each. I have the Corbin seat and the V-stream mid screen. I wasn't sore or tired at all after any of those trips. I felt like I could easily have done 1,000 miles. I'm so sure of it that I'm planning an 1,100 mile (each way) trip to Colorado this summer (to visit my brother, not buy pot.)

• Premium Member
My longest day so far on the FJ is 998 miles in 23.5 hours. The 998 is GPS-corrected mileage; the odometer claimed 1100 miles. This was mostly on twisty roads. I've also done a few 500-600 mile days.  

My only complaint is I wish the fuel range was a little better.

My experience with GPS mileage is that due to various atmospheric conditions, trees overhead, tight canyons, finding satellites after a stop, sometimes poor electrical connections - it usually under-estimates distance traveled. And, since the speedometer is not linked to the odometer (as it is with mechanical gauges), you're probably better off using odo reading than GPS.
I've also learned not to trust GPS mileage. While training for Ironman triathlons, I've used various GPS watches that claim not to lose signal when around trees, buildings, submerged, etc. I did much of my practice in an outside pool. Since the length of the pool and the number of laps I swim are known, and since I can do simple math, I know how far I swam. The GPS watches always showed me swimming 10-15% less distance than actual.   

• Premium Member
To clarify: This was during the Cal 24 Rally, and before the event I rode an 18 mile check loop that had been GPS-verified by the organizers. This gave a correction factor for my odometer.

I suppose the organizer's GPS may have been inaccurate. That hadn't occurred to me as I don't even own a vehicular GPS.

So okay, my longest day on the FJ is 1100 miles according to the odometer.

Longest day 1038 miles (1670 kilometres) in 20 hrs (twice now) with another one planned for next year.
Do lots of LD rides and it's easy to rack up the miles / kays.

I use an Airhawk on the seat but may look to having a custom seat in 2017 (see how finances go).

Now have 36500 kilometres (22,680 miles) on the clock and going strong.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Premium Member
Update: I plugged my Cal 24 route into Google Maps and came back with 1055 miles. So reality is somewhere between my odometer's 1100 mile claim and the organizer's 998 "corrected" mileage.

2016_Cal24_route.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
618 miles in one day without cruise control. 4 or 5 times I have ridden over 500 miles in a day. Twice I have ridden over 3000 miles in 8 days. The second trip I had cruise control (3440 miles in 8 days) and could have ridden farther due to the relief it gives. Not sure I am ready for an iron butt yet though.
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

I've done 845 miles in one shot. It is something I will probably never do again though. Again like mentioned before, my only complaint would the fuel range, wish it had more. But when riding that many miles, stretches are cordially welcomed. I am comfortable with doing 500 in a day, no problems. I am also only 30 years old, so I'm sure that holds some worth :)

Just wondering what are the longest distances members have ridden the FJ-09 in a day?
Like so many others, I have ridden 500+ miles days in multiple rides.  38,000 miles on the FJ-09 so far, very happy with the handling, bike weight, and as others have noted, the lightness of the bike is less of a work out. Long days aren't any worse than on a heavy weight Sport Tourer.  Comparing with my FJR's with 230K miles my kness fair better on the FJ and so does my back.  

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

My longest in a day was somewhere around 450, but it was in a group with old men and tiny tanks so stops were very frequent and speeds were slow. The ride down was very, very tiring. i had the thing loaded to the hilt so it was hard to get on and off so the frequent stops didn't help. By the time I rode back I had figured out to always stop by a curb to help me mount and dismount with the back seat loaded. I had put some frame sliders on to give myself 2 options for foot placement which turned out to be pretty nice. She handled everything great. Felt like a gold wing going down with how loaded it was. Heavy, but steady and handled easy once moving. Then it felt like the sporty bike it is with all the bags off once I got to the mountain roads. That's my favorite thing about this bike is the versatility. The bike can transform within minutes from full dressed touring bike to a hooligan machine. My biggest complaint from the bike perspective on that long of a ride is the wind noise. I would stand up to get in clean air to get a break from the noise once in a while. Other than that, she was great.

Archived