Now that you've seen the FJ-09, what do you think?

Overall, I like it but.....would like to see a [strong][em]FJ-09 Touring [/em][/strong]model that would include the side cases, cruise control & grip warmers.

The left switch housing appears to be the same one used on the FJR & Super Tenere, so possibly sometime in the future the cruise feature will come??  Too bad it cannot be easily added as an accessory.

Also would have liked to see the seat height come in lower.  Will need to sit on one to see how it is since it is a narrow bike with the triple and not like an inline 4 that I'm accustomed to.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can lower any bike easy enough. I have short 30 inch inseam but am used to riding tall dirtbikes and the FJ weighs under 600 lbs, so no probs for me. Just lean left a bit when I stop, easy peasy.

Once on the road, I prefer a taller bike. Leaning is fun, especially on a light bike like the FJ and you actually have more lean angle to use so it really helps the high speed corners. Plus, it helps vision.

I like it from what I see and read. I'm concerned it will feel small being based on the FZ-09. I'm looking for a bike for commuting and shorter 200-300 mile days. I'll keep the FJR for two-up and longer day, multiday rides. Will also look at the Versys 1000. Can I say that here? :)

Bike needs a pylon eject .  With left /right bias so you can send the offender off into the lake as opposed to the  oncoming freightliner .    :D
           Without riding it . Without seeing the rake and trail #'s. It  will work or can be fixed.    

Regarding the lack of cruise control being offered on the FJ-09, I would be curious as to how difficult it would be for someone to offer it from the aftermarket?

I have seen a company called TuneBoy who offers it for Ductai, not sure if they could do it for the FJ? http://www.tuneboy.com.au/Cruise_Control.html

I sent them an e-mail inquiring to see if it may be possible. Once I hear from them, I'll post any update.

1. I need a motorcycle that I have a chance of  picking up if I drop it and I'm by my self.  2. I need a motorcycle that can get 175 to 200 mi's on a tank of gas.  3. I need a motorcycle that I can drive for extended periods but is very much at home in the twisties as thats where I go when I leave my own home town to explore my inner failure to grow up.  3. I need a motorcycle that I'm a little apprehensive early in a ride to open up all its ponies.  4. Of major importance is that I need a motorcycle with an extensive dealership network across the country but especially has a dealer in my home town. 5. As I'm older, I need cruise control my right hand goes numb after about 1 hr. if I can't let go of the throttle frequently particularly after lets say a trip through the "Snake".  On that point MCCruise an outfit in Australia makes a couple of models made for Yamaha.  I had a unit on my ST1300 and it worked flawlessly.  I texted Tony at MCCruise and he thought perhaps one of the units he made for Yammies might be adaptable to the FJ9.  It seems they do not get release of the bike until March over there.  So if there is interest in cruise control by enough of us he may acquire more of an interest in developing or modifying a unit.  There not cheap but work without a glitch.  The best of course would be for the company to put one on the 09 in the first place.  Kind of a long post but I sold my GT1600 based on points 1. 4. And the fact that it was breaking down all the time and while it was under warranty dealers were far and few in between.  This bike otherwise might be just the ticket but will have to test drive it first.  Oh, one last thing I have a 29-30inch inseam, I wonder how low the low seat option is, I think Yamaha(Japanese bikes in general, not to mention German ones) needs to take a lesson from a company that I suspect has more short people and it seems more women riding than any other and thats HD.  Well I would like to buy the FJ09 so will have to follow along and learn from others experiences.

Hey toes, many of what you said are my thoughts too. I'm looking into the FJ-09, Versys 1000 and Tiger XRx. One thing about the Triumph is that it comes standard (the XRx model) with cruise control. Granted it's about $2k more than the FJ-09 but it's in the mix just for this feature as well as per the spec sheets, the Triumph has the lowest seat height with their optional low seat (31.1" if I recall).

Welcome to the forum, XCSP, Toes and 407 GUY.
I've got a down payment on the first FJ into my dealer. The FZ has proven the motor and chassis are sound. I always monkey with suspension any way so the lack of..., I'm trading in a Vstrom that had resprung,race tech compression valved forks, and a Penske shock. The new ride will get the same treatment or more!.
Hope you guys can work through the seat height issue. I've got the same problem. At 59 and 6'2"I can't fold up enough to enjoy sport bikes at the racetrack anymore. I'm trading in the 'strom and selling the track rat. (At least Yamaha is making an effort by offering a machine with adjustable seat height.
For the last 4 years I've been running a "cramp buster" type throttle assist . Took a while to get used to but is now second nature. You can lay your fingers across the lever and relax your grip.(unless you are braking or turning in there is no need to have a firm grip on the bars. It transfers vibration to wrists, and puts in unintended steering inputs. A light relaxed grip allows you to better feel what's going on with the front too.
It's not cruise control but it will allow you to relax your right wrist and arm making them less likely to cramp.
For 10 bucks it's worth a try. Let me know what you think.

It got to sit on one this weekend at the Long Beach IMS. About the height: Seat was set on high. I absolutely loved it. At 6'1", fit me perfectly. A 5'8" guy sat on it after me and didn't flat foot but felt very comfortable. He might have been able to flat foot if the seat was in the low position. For comparison, it was a bit taller than the Wee-Strom I tried, definitely smaller than the Tenere I test rode in the afternoon.

The thing looks gorgeous in person, especially the red. It was fitted with the touring screen and, combined with the tank design, it looks like it offers more weather protection than I expected, but I'd have to ride it in weather to know for sure.

Yammie has "Sport-Tourer" plastered all over the promo stuff, so they're definitely pushing it as a roadie, not a pseudo-adventure bike.

It went onto my short list.

• Premium Member
This bike just checks all the boxes for me. I'm 6'2", mid 40's, coming off a Triumph D675. I love the Daytona, but just don't do enough track days anymore to justify the riding position for the other 95% of the time I'm on it. Plus, I actually miss riding with the wife. She's a great passenger but she refuses to ride on the D675, so...My wish list for my next bike in terms of features ranked in importance goes like this:

1)comfortable seating position (pilot & pillion)
2)sporty performance3)550 lbs wet (less is better)
4)decent luggage/possible topbox
5)centerstand

My research has included the C14 (love everything but the weight), the Multistrada (pricey), Caponord (no dealer within 2 hours), KTM Adventure 1190 standard, BMW s1000xf and now the FJ-09. I don't need shaft-drive or a low seat. It's basically come down to the KTM and the FJ-09. I was virtually sold on the KTM until I found out about the FJ. I like the idea of the KTM's electronically adjustable suspension, but for $6K less I can have pretty much all the features I want and plenty of money to customize my suspension, and probably have $ left over. Plus, I don't plan on taking whatever bike I end up with offroad. I'm not some ADV wanna-be, it's the combination of ergos & performance that have me seriously considering something from this category. I think the FJ-09 has taken the top spot on my wish list!

It got to sit on one this weekend at the Long Beach IMS. About the height: Seat was set on high. I absolutely loved it. At 6'1", fit me perfectly. A 5'8" guy sat on it after me and didn't flat foot but felt very comfortable. He might have been able to flat foot if the seat was in the low position. For comparison, it was a bit taller than the Wee-Strom I tried, definitely smaller than the Tenere I test rode in the afternoon. 
The thing looks gorgeous in person, especially the red. It was fitted with the touring screen and, combined with the tank design, it looks like it offers more weather protection than I expected, but I'd have to ride it in weather to know for sure.

Yammie has "Sport-Tourer" plastered all over the promo stuff, so they're definitely pushing it as a roadie, not a pseudo-adventure bike.

Good to hear about fitting a 6'1" rider, can't wait to throw a leg across one in person now. The FZ6R is a great little ride, that with a few adjustments makes a good Sport Touring ride, but one that is factory Sport Touring setup is a better base to start with than just a Sport model. 
Only thing that confuses me is that the FZ-09 gets 51mpg and the FJ-09 is rated at 30mpg, really, Yamaha got it wrong if that is true, it should be 51 FZ, and 53 FJ don't you think?

Good to hear about fitting a 6'1" rider, can't wait to throw a leg across one in person now. The FZ6R is a great little ride, that with a few adjustments makes a good Sport Touring ride, but one that is factory Sport Touring setup is a better base to start with than just a Sport model. 
Only thing that confuses me is that the FZ-09 gets 51mpg and the FJ-09 is rated at 30mpg, really, Yamaha got it wrong if that is true, it should be 51 FZ, and 53 FJ don't you think?

Be careful with published fuel mileage numbers.  Sometimes they are confusing US and Imperial gallons.  I have also checked Yamaha's math conversion from kilometers per liter to miles per gallon (US) and it has been wrong.  Brochure proofreading isn't what it should be.  My bet is that the FJ will see a 2-3 MPG(US) drop in fuel mileage compared to the FZ, due mostly to weight.  Of course, only those riders who have ridden both and done their own calculations on fuel mileage will be able to give us any meaningful comparison.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

Archived