Now that you've seen the FJ-09, what do you think?

Good to hear about fitting a 6'1" rider, can't wait to throw a leg across one in person now. The FZ6R is a great little ride, that with a few adjustments makes a good Sport Touring ride, but one that is factory Sport Touring setup is a better base to start with than just a Sport model. 
Only thing that confuses me is that the FZ-09 gets 51mpg and the FJ-09 is rated at 30mpg, really, Yamaha got it wrong if that is true, it should be 51 FZ, and 53 FJ don't you think?

Be careful with published fuel mileage numbers.  Sometimes they are confusing US and Imperial gallons.  I have also checked Yamaha's math conversion from kilometers per liter to miles per gallon (US) and it has been wrong.  Brochure proofreading isn't what it should be.  My bet is that the FJ will see a 2-3 MPG(US) drop in fuel mileage compared to the FZ, due mostly to weight.  Of course, only those riders who have ridden both and done their own calculations on fuel mileage will be able to give us any meaningful comparison.
I agree with the confusion analogy.   
My FZ6R is rated @46mpg, I get 46 to 51mpg easily, 52mpg once (I do realize 113hp will suck more fuel but the FZ-09 has that and 51mpg rating). Of course I have done some mods to the air box (removed Helmholtz resonator), designed and built an exhaust tip removing the Cat Converter ( no O2 sensor), removed AIS (Air Injection System) too.  I went down one tooth on front and still got 46 to 51mpg. I don't believe in Power Commanders, knowing what I do about the ECUs and that an ECU has a built in learning parameter, unless you do a real drastic change they will compensate without any added influence (Power Commander etc...).
Enriching the fuel will cause a loss in mpg.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uh oh, look what I found -- https://ftecu.com/shop/14-15-fzmt-09/ Looking for more options, any FZ-09 riders here know of anymore cable/software suites that allows ECU flashing by individuals?
The FZ-09 forum guys seem to be happy with this outfit.  If I have fueling issues then I may contact this place. http://www.vcyclenut.com/ 
I think he even includes free lifetime re-flashes in the event that you add accessories in the future, such as an exhaust or a quick shifter.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

For the price, I think you get a lot of bike -- decent horsepower, key electronic aids. low weight, range, wind protection, comfortable, reliable, center stand,etc.

For those wanting more (cruise, luggage, heated grips), those are relatively easy a/m add-ons. The Yamaha accessory catalog has some of those things too.

I don't see anything else in the market that better combines all the things I listed above, again, FOR THE PRICE.

Yamaha sure seems to do a great job of providing great value. This bike, the FZ-09 and FZ-07 are all a lot of bike for what they cost. Sure they do not have all the bells and whistles, but it is amazing what they have been able to provide for the price.

For the price, I think you get a lot of bike -- decent horsepower, key electronic aids. low weight, range, wind protection, comfortable, reliable, center stand,etc. 
For those wanting more (cruise, luggage, heated grips), those are relatively easy a/m add-ons. The Yamaha accessory catalog has some of those things too.

I don't see anything else in the market that better combines all the things I listed above, again, FOR THE PRICE.

Sure would like to see cruise as "an easy add-on".  I'm spoiled with now having it on the FJR.

Isn't that the pitfall with all of these developing technologies?  You get used to a new feature that you have managed to live without until now then you can't imagine having a bike with out that feature.  Its like that for me with fully adjustable suspension and heated grips.  They both end up finding their way onto every bike I own.  I am actually resisting owning a bike with electronic suspension and/or cruise control so that I don't get hooked on those as well.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

That's a really good point about getting hooked on developing technologies.

Sometimes too I feel that these technologies bring you a littler further away from the pure motorcycling experience.

Having said that, I would never ever never never give up my GPS. Single greatest thing added to my bike. Without it, I'd still be stuck in some network of unpaved roads (I have a VStrom) in WV. To say nothing of the ability to create interesting routes ahead of time.

How about a factory automatic chain oiler, I mean any respectable Touring bike with a chain drive should have one (yes I know they sell aftermarket ones). I know it has a center stand, but since I have added a custom made automatic chain oiler to my FZ6R it has spoiled me on the simple life of oil and ride.

Hi Rider, I'm uncomfortable about anything automatically  dispatching lubricant on  the back of my bike.    O Ring chains have their lubricant sealed inside the links.  Now days your lubing your sprockets. I clean the chains,(and sprockets) up with WD40. Wipe it off and apply chain wax, if anything.

My desire is a BMW R1200RT, but I just can't afford a new one. I am looking for a bike that will be light....so I can enjoy it around town....and comfortable enough for the long haul. I go on one long road trip per year up to the Blue Ridge Mountains with buddies of mine...and we trek down to the tail of the dragon....my VTX 1300C...while looking exactly like a street glide...just doesnt' do it. I still feel like I dont' "fit" the bike right. One question....can you get multiple foot positions so you can change around during a long ride? I had a VStrom 600....great bike...but didn't have enough "juice" for me. Love the engine on this thing. PLEASE, let me know your thoughts. I can't afford mutiple bikes, so I'll be stuck with the one I'm with.

Welcome TMC,
BMWs have a reputation for lasting.
Why not this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R-Series-2007-bmw-r-1200-rt-14677-a-blue-/291297388239?forcerrptr=true&hash=item43d2ad66cf&item=291297388239&pt=US_motorcycles

I've looked at RTs for years myself and couldn't tell you why I never owned one. Great bikes
I'm trading in a 1000 Strom on a FJ09.
Selling the KTM SuperDuke R. I'm done with track days and it is just too extreme to ride on the road and maintain a good driving record.
The FJ has some big shoes to fill.
Let's hope it works for both of us!

I spend alot of time on advrider.com, which is a freakin awesome bike forum, btw. Anyways, the last 5 years or so there have been a ton of guys reporting serious failures in their BMW's final drive systems and BMW is leaving these people out in the cold, voiding warranties, on and on.

I also read a well known BMW guru telling people to stay away from the newer BMW motorcycles, and he showed his shop full of BMW's with issues that BMW won't cover under warranty.

I dunno about BMW.

Hi Rider, I'm uncomfortable about anything automatically  dispatching lubricant on  the back of my bike.    O Ring chains have their lubricant sealed inside the links.  Now days your lubing your sprockets. I clean the chains,(and sprockets) up with WD40. Wipe it off and apply chain wax, if anything.
To each his own. Trust me an o-ring chain needs lubricating, and yes I know about o-ring chains since I was one of the first to adapt the new technology years ago.

AS per manual: Lubricate ever 600 miles or after washing or riding in rain.  You do follow the manual right?

WD-40 (Water Displacement) I use Purple Power Citrus Cleaner and a chain brush to clean mine.  30 thousand miles and still in good shape.

Archived