Insurance Complications

• Premium Member
Has anyone had difficulty getting this bike insured?   My insurance company  did not have an FJ-09 on their list, and instead insured me for an FZ-09...

When I got my insurance card in the mail with FZ-09 on it,  I called them to change it.  I spent a half hour(probably longer) on the phone with someone while he talked to a "supervisor AND an underwriter".  He then told me that this was a "known issue", and that, yes, it is a different bike, but it is in the same class and the price is the same.   WTF?!?   I could not believe it.  So, I hung up, and then went online on my own and entered the information into the same Insurance Co. website...and sure enough...they charge the same price for an FZ-09 and an FJ-09!!! Is that right?!?  I went to another insurance website and got two VERY different prices.   So...I guess I am looking for insurance.   Anyone in Southern California have any suggestions?  Has anyone else had any problems with insurance?

Guest eatpasta
when I called my insurance guy, not only did he not have the FJ-09 in the computer system to select, he didn't have the FZ-09

I think that's probably part of the problem

My agency (State Farm) had to do a "generic" quote based on MSRP and engine displacement. It ended up being less than $20 more per year than the FZ-09. They did the same for my husband when he bought the 2015 FZ-09 in October, but at least they have the FZ in the system now! Of course who you speak to on the phone doesn't know motorcycles most of the time either, so explaining that the FZ and FJ are different doesn't really stick.

I'm sure once more stats come in on the FJ versus the FZ, hopefully rates will come down (tourer versus hooligan)

Guest eatpasta
I couldnt believe the FJ coverage was twice the cost as the FJR, which is worth - after 30K's - just slightly less than the FJ brand new..... dont get that at all especially at nearly half the displacement

Has anyone had difficulty getting this bike insured?   My insurance company  did not have an FJ-09 on their list, and instead insured me for an FZ-09...  
When I got my insurance card in the mail with FZ-09 on it,  I called them to change it.  I spent a half hour(probably longer) on the phone with someone while he talked to a "supervisor AND an underwriter".  He then told me that this was a "known issue", and that, yes, it is a different bike, but it is in the same class and the price is the same.   WTF?!?   I could not believe it.  So, I hung up, and then went online on my own and entered the information into the same Insurance Co. website...and sure enough...they charge the same price for an FZ-09 and an FJ-09!!! Is that right?!?  I went to another insurance website and got two VERY different prices.   So...I guess I am looking for insurance.   Anyone in Southern California have any suggestions?  Has anyone else had any problems with insurance?

I am not sure I understand why you are so concerned. You provided the VIN when you got insurance so you should be good. Did you expect the rate to be less than the FZ? The FJ is more expensive and has the same engine so one might assume it would be priced a little higher. What do you expect to gain by switching?

• Premium Member
 Did you expect the rate to be less than the FZ? The FJ is more expensive and has the same engine so one might assume it would be priced a little higher. What do you expect to gain by switching?

I guess I am confused.  I thought different classes of bikes received different rates.   Our bike has a windshield and has factory luggage, and is purposed very differently than the FZ...   

Guest eatpasta
My agent couldn't find it either, Progressive, so she used an FJ1100 and quoted me $700. Thanks but no thanks.
yeah my quote through Foremost was about the same.... 

I just bought a FJ-09 and I am an Allstate Insurance agent. I can tell you that it is not uncommon for insurers to not have a model of auto or motorcycle in their database for a while after it's introduction. I have the option of notifying the company of a model or a particular bike (submit the VIN) and they add it.
As for what I am reading about insurance cost on this FJ-09, I am finding them to be pricey as well. I got off a KTM Super Duke 990 and it cost $200/yr. This FJ is $1000 a year! I have no idea of why, but I am looking into it. $40000 Harleys that I insure are less. I will post something after I have had a chance to do some research.
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Sold: KTM Super Duke 990, Ducati 1098S, BMW K1200S, HD Fat Boy, HD Road King Classic, Kawasaki KLR 650

Did you expect the rate to be less than the FZ? The FJ is more expensive and has the same engine so one might assume it would be priced a little higher. What do you expect to gain by switching?
I guess I am confused.  I thought different classes of bikes received different rates.   Our bike has a windshield and has factory luggage, and is purposed very differently than the FZ...   

New models don't have a track record so insurance companies typically look for comparable models. The FZ-09 is probably the closest. Will more conservative folks choose the FJ and as a result file less claims on their insurance? Time will tell. For now, if you were quoted the same rate I think you did ok. 

I just sold my 96 VFR750 called Farmers (foremost) to cancel the VFR and she says my insurance will go up by $10 a month ! What ! up $10 a month after removing a bike ?
Ok no biggie..... I called Geico and bam they have FJ 09 listed so I insured a 2014 CRF250L and FJ 09 full coverage for like $96 a month....
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

• 2 weeks later...
My agent couldn't find it either, Progressive, so she used an FJ1100 and quoted me $700. Thanks but no thanks.

That's odd. Go to their website and it's right there for the choosing. I've had Progressive for years and have always done everything online and have never spoken to a human for a quote. For me it's $501/year full coverage with one at fault accident on my record. 46 year old male.

Archived