12V Outlet not working?

Have you checked the fuse to make sure it's not blown? I use two different plugs made by Anker and Amazon, and have zero issues with either.
I didn't even think to check the fuses to be honest, since the bike is brand new.  Will report back in the am.

i believe the fuses on the accessory port is 2 amps. I blow them everytime I plug anything with more draw than a cell phone...
Yes, both of the aux fuses are 2 amps.  I think the first thing I tried using in there was an air pump, which probably draws way more than 2 amps but I visually inspected both of the aux plugs (8 and 10 iirc) and didn't see any breaks. There's an extra two amp plug in the box that I swapped in to one of them just for good measure but no luck getting the outlet to work.

You do know that you have to have the key on for the outlet to work... right!! It's a switched circuit.
Lol, ty brick. I tried every conceivable combination of on/off/lock/hazard/idle/highway speed and never once saw it draw any power to my phone.

• 2 weeks later...
i believe the fuses on the accessory port is 2 amps. I blow them everytime I plug anything with more draw than a cell phone...
Yes, both of the aux fuses are 2 amps.  I think the first thing I tried using in there was an air pump, which probably draws way more than 2 amps but I visually inspected both of the aux plugs (8 and 10 iirc) and didn't see any breaks. There's an extra two amp plug in the box that I swapped in to one of them just for good measure but no luck getting the outlet to work.
I did the same thing tried the air pump and it indeed blow the fuse

My Garmin 550 GPS supposedly draws less than 2A. I have a power cord set up with a BMW/Powerlet connector and another power cord with a traditional cigarette plug. Every time I use the Powerlet plug with a Powerlet to cigarette plug adapter it blows the fuse. I even tried a 5A fuse with the same result. When I use the power cord with a cigarette plug and 2A fuse, it works fine.

My Garmin 550 GPS supposedly draws less than 2A. I have a power cord set up with a BMW/Powerlet connector and another power cord with a traditional cigarette plug. Every time I use the Powerlet plug with a Powerlet to cigarette plug adapter it blows the fuse. I even tried a 5A fuse with the same result. When I use the power cord with a cigarette plug and 2A fuse, it works fine.
...could it be the adapter itself...I mean, something other than the GPS is blowing the 5A fuse.
I'm sure it's the adapter, but I have no way to verify. Anyway, I solved the problem by mounting a Powerlet socket on the left side, where the OEM socket was originally, and moved the OEM socket to the right side.  

• Premium Member
either the adapter or powerlet lead has a short circuit (or only when they are joined) 
easy to check with a multimeter set to continuity test. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived