Question about addd more Led

vinhphuc007

That's why posted up another example to compare to, because 6,900 lumens for 800 meters seems a bit much. I have been trying to figure out what kind of lights to add to my bike.  I would like to find small, less than 20 watt, LED with lens to project a narrow beam directly onto the road to avoid blinding oncoming cars.

• Premium Member
That's why posted up another example to compare to, because 6,900 lumens for 800 meters seems a bit much. I have been trying to figure out what kind of lights to add to my bike.  I would like to find small, less than 20 watt, LED with lens to project a narrow beam directly onto the road to avoid blinding oncoming cars.
I use these. https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Trail-Lights-OZ-USA-Motorcycle/dp/B00HA14OK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481739092&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+trail+lights+oz Combined with PIAA 74000 light brackets, slightly modified, and mounted to an SW Motech crash bar, they work a treat.....real flamethrowers!

I use these. https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Trail-Lights-OZ-USA-Motorcycle/dp/B00HA14OK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481739092&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+trail+lights+oz Combined with PIAA 74000 light brackets, slightly modified, and mounted to an SW Motech crash bar, they work a treat.....real flamethrowers!

I second these lights. I added them a few months back to replace some bulky LED's I had previously installed. These things look great on the lower fork. Very small, but very high output. Very pleased

As a rule, incandesant light bulbs use more power for the light they create v/s HID.
For many years, that was the best option for light, lower the power draw, but create many more lumens of light.
Now with some of the LED lamps, they can be as bright as Halogen bulbs, and even rival some HID designs.

I read many years ago, that every six months, the technology for LED's doubled their light output design wise.

Just a few years ago, 3 watt LED's were considered bright. Now there are 7 watt and 9 watt LED's that are very bright, and I'm sure that fresh from the development folks somewhere, 12, 15 and even higher watt LED's are going to be possible, and produce many more lumens than a comparable "halogen" bulb of the same watt rating. (And they draw very few amps, while older bulbs can pull many amps.)

Amps really is the deal. How many amps can you system, or this bike produce/handle? At these low watt numbers, you could pile on LED's and never really overload the system within reason. (Do you ride the local super nova... ? LOL)

Good example: Car from 1980. Halogen bulbs, both at 55 watts or 110 watts total for low beams.
By the 90's, HID was the thing, and you could run two 35 watt ballasts for a HID system that produces a few THOUSAND times the light.
As we go into the future, LED's can now produce headlights that can be designed to adapt to vehicle speed, other traffic, turns and many features not possible just a few years ago. (No moving parts needed, you just build the light with various lenses focused to throw light where you want it, when you want it, and then turn them on or off based on speed, steering wheel yaw, oncoming traffic etc.

Cool thing is the next "revolution" is going to be LASERS! :) Oh yeah, "fricken" lasers! LOL It's in Europe now, and I think there are a few LASER high beam setups in the USA now. But it's pretty rare still. Imagine a high beam and low beam that will be accurately focus light exactly where you need it with little scatter, but give you headlamps that allow for much better safety at speed at night.

Of course, when the cars are going to drive themselves, who cares? (And I think that technology is going to eclipse the lamp technology in short order. It's cheaper, safer and the lure of time saved or time used for other activities by the owner will be a huge lure to change up to the new self driving cars.)

The technology to make it happen is here. It's just getting the costs and reliable soft ware in place to the mass market.

Imagine a car that you get into, say take me to work, and then sit back and surf the net, work from your car, talk to friends, or go back to sleep? And the car does not need much space, since it's going to "talk" with other cars, it can tail gate inches from the other vehicles on all sides, let traffic in, and out at exit points, match speeds, and keep traffic flowing better than ever. (And in places like LA or other major cities, that alone will sell cars.)

A COOL side benefit for motorcycle riders? The number 1 reason for crashes will be removed. (Idiots not paying attention to driving.) No more left turns in our path. No more pulling out from a stop sign and saying "I never saw him..." Etc.)

Heck, put a transponder in our bikes so the "smart" cars know where we are, and they should move apart, and let us past! (Lane splitting would be SO much fun.. and should be nation wide legal.)

Archived