Cut off twice in one day...

martyl

• Premium Member
Title says it all. One guy drifts over to the right side of me at about 45 MPH. :-0 Guy sees me and drifts back in his lane. 2nd. time later on, a guy in a little KIA something pulls right in front of me on my left. Luckily I was going about 30 MPH. My brakes and ABS did their job! Man I was ticked off! The guy motions to me like saying sorry. He just didn't see me in the right lane as he cut in front of me from the left passing lane. Driving in city Orlando traffic has its moments for sure! I ride like I'm invisible and I'm constantly scanning all around me. I use the horn when needed and, " I friendly toot." of the horn is not a bad thing. Always good to scan for possible escape routes in traffic situations. I use what tools I have. The FJ09 is nimble and quick. I keep that in mind and proceed accordingly. Two close calls today and I think I'll go  play the lottery now...;-)
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

...I ride like I'm invisible and I'm constantly scanning all around me...

That's the only way to ride.. I assume nobody sees me when I'm riding and constantly play the "what if" game... ya know, what if this guy pulls out or what if that person changes lanes...

Glad you had your wits about you and avoided both situations.. GA drivers are no better. Some days my middle finger gets a work out.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I volunteer for a UK organisation called Blood Bikes, which deliver urgent plasma, platelets or whole blood to hospitals. My local bike is a large white BMW 1200, fully liveried up in dayglo emergency services hi-vis stripes, stickers etc and I ride with headlights on and a hi vis reflective vest. And still the gormless idiots pull out in front of me. I had to go fully into the opposite lane on Tuesday last week to avoid being hit from the side by a car comimg into my lane from a side road.

We're simply invisible to some drivers who just look for cars.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Many cages have a huge "blind spot" where they actually can't see you, even if they look (hey some of them do, honest). And in most traffic anymore it's impossible to stay out of that blind spot of every cage around you. And so many follow each other so close that they can't take time to look around much. So, assume that they can't see you and will be joining you in your lane soon. Scan, scan, scan.
I live in the "Little Saigon" area - extra fun here.

make sure you can actively see in the front windows. If you cant look them in the eye, they can't/won't see you. Most cagers have no idea what a head check is.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I agree ride like your invisible, play the what if game and I know to some it doesn't look cool but I gotta say those Hi Vis yellow/green jackets work great. If it's a cold day I sometime wear a warmer but dark jacket. With the Hi Vis I noticed they still start to move but stop in there tracks but with the dark jacket they come more often than not. I even ride with my high beams during the day. I always plan on the car at the intersection or driveway on the right or left to pull out or the car with the turn signal on to turn in front of me.  I always cover my front brake and plan that they will come anyway. Also in Calif I never ride next to any vehicle but stay either behind or ahead. If I'm passing I spend as little time as possible in their blind spot. Ride safe. Jim in Ojai ca

make sure you can actively see in the front windows. If you cant look them in the eye, they can't/won't see you. Most cagers have no idea what a head check is.
A lot of cages around here have tinted front windows, and you can't see the driver at all. Sure it's illegal, but not a high priority item for enforcement, unfortunately. The other thing I see too much are the darkened brake light lenses - compromising one of the most important safety items on a vehicle. And many bikes do it too. Ah, the price of vanity. 

I like hi viz colors.

But I've found lights, especially flashing ones do the best job.

Ran these for years.

Hyperlites.com The white flashing/modulating ones mounted on the forks, either stuck on the reflector mounts, or on custome stainless mount screwed to the fender mounting point on the fork work great. The 3 postion switch is small, is either OFF, ON or Modulation. They are very bright, work fine as "driving lights" at night, but modulated during the daylight, you can not help but be seen.

At the rear, I run their double 16 LED red brake and running lights. The brake modulates and flashes for a few seconds when you apply the brakes, and then goes full bright while you stop. They are not just bright, but BLINDINGLY bright. I have mine angled up slightly, to aim for the SUV/Truck drivers around here. The cars still get plenty of light.

In Idaho and most states these are legal.

I'd mount lasers if they were legal. :)

• Premium Member
The scenarios you describe are reasons why I've pretty much given up on commuting and stick to weekend riding only...it's my self preservation act. Getting too old for that weekday crap!
Interesting. Where I am, in the SF bay area, I feel like the commuters are decent drivers. Most of them do it every day, so they have some proficiency, and most of them are awake and sober. And a surprising number of them move over as far as they can to get out of the way if they see a motorcycle lane splitting. I wonder if a lot of them are fellow riders--I feel like many people who grow up in NorCal ride dirt. 
The weekend drivers worry me way more--that's when you get the party-goers and drinkers, and the folks who only drive occasionally, and the tourists...

Archived