Base plate for windshield starting to fracture

toonbobo

Hey y'all
After 24k miles of using my aftermarket windshield, I noticed that the base plate is starting to fracture around the bottom two bolts. This is where the 4 bolts from the windshield attach to the assembly. This is for part 2PP-84369-00-P0 which looks to be going for $75-$90 to replace, kind of a bummer. I'm going to call the company that makes the windshield and see if they have any input. I don't expect a replacement of the OEM part but perhaps there could be a design change to prevent this from happening. 

Has anyone seen this kind of thing happen yet after many miles? Curious as to if this can be prevented in the future. I'm sure Yamaha designed the original plate to withstand the weight of the stock fingernail shield and most aftermarket units are much more sturdy which of course would lead to more stress. 

Thanks!

IMG_20161214_204907.jpg

• Premium Member
Which aftermarket windshield please... brand size and a photo. I bought my FJ with an aftermarket tall screen. Mine is a V-Stream but I don't know how much taller than stock it is but it's pretty tall.

Question for all... how tall is the stock screen? Then I can measure the one on my bike and know how much taller than stock mine is. ?

fe4618253a5014c3a967947f6357e11e.jpg

It really looks tall here.

Thanks

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
are those bolts metal?

I used the OE plastic bolts to attach my Powerbronze screen. Also fitted a few foam pads on the struts to absorb some of the flexing.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Question for all... how tall is the stock screen? Then I can measure the one on my bike and know how much taller than stock mine is. ?

The stock windscreen is 18 inches tall.

My Cal-Sci tinted shorty is 13.5 inches tall, err... short. :-/

• Premium Member
Thank You Wessie,

Hmmm... This is what I was wondering. The tall shield on the bike measures 24" and the short one that was included with the accessories that I assumed was stock measures 11 1/2" tall.

If as you say the stock is 18" I think I would like the stock shield.

Brick

Brick
1999 Suzuki SV650

I'm running the Parabellum touring windshield, medium which is 24". A great windshield!
I used the provided bolts which are in fact metal.

BTW the Parabellum site lists the following regarding the stock screen width (good to know as we are discussing how tall the stock one is)
>The stock shield has a maximum width of 13 inches with a top width of 11 inches

• Premium Member
I'm running the Parabellum touring windshield, medium which is 24". A great windshield! I used the provided bolts which are in fact metal.

BTW the Parabellum site lists the following regarding the stock screen width (good to know as we are discussing how tall the stock one is)
>The stock shield has a maximum width of 13 inches with a top width of 11 inches
Well it's off the bike and I just measured it top to bottom middle... 11 1/2" so?? 

Brick
1999 Suzuki SV650

Which aftermarket windshield please... brand size and a photo. I bought my FJ with an aftermarket tall screen. Mine is a V-Stream but I don't know how much taller than stock it is but it's pretty tall.  

fe4618253a5014c3a967947f6357e11e.jpg

It really looks tall here.

Thanks
DB, 
You can borrow my stock windscreen if you want to test it. You might want to wait till warmer weather though... ;)
Keep Asheville weird!

Updated, checking out the bike again I noticed a big chunk missing from the right side of the plate. It was there a few days ago but the wet weather and additional riding have got the best of the plastic.

Here's a picture looking up under the shield, near the top of the headlight. I've heard back from the company, we'll see if there is any sort of solution for this problem.  

crackedplastic.jpg

@gotfz1 that's a good thought, but I just made my purchase about an hour ago. I guess I could always return it.. the plate costs about $70 from partzilla.

Before I upgraded my windshield I was using the MRA x-creen deflector on my stock shield. We are thinking this could have caused some stress on the base plate and adding a bigger shield may have accelerated the wear. It would be interesting to see if anyone else has similar outcomes after using a deflector on the stock screen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
You shouldn't have this issue with the V-Stream shield because it comes with a custom metal mounting bracket that bolts through the steel OEM slider bracket. The plastic bracket that is cracking on the OP's bike becomes merely a cosmetic cover with a V-Stream.

Archived