Drive Chain Noise. New Occurence?

after 200 miles of solo riding and not a single  issue.

took a pillion for the first time and combined weight of 380, myself being 240.

after about an hour of slow speed stop and go A1A beach cruise, we returned to the main streets. normal 35-45 MPH traffic. we wear earplugs and helmets. but i can usually hear the bike, revs and all.

i noticed driving in close proximity to walls, medians, other vehicles, i started hearing alot of drive chain noise. sounded like the chain was slapping allover the place.

checked the chain and it definitely looked loose, lots of movement when on center stand and when  i had my 140LB gf sit on it.

i didnt think i would have to adjust the chain so early after the Dealer Prep, but could this be common? should i need to adjust the chain this early on.
why didnt i notice it before i brought on the first passenger? could the extra weight displace the wheel and sprocket position from dealer specs? maybe wasnt tightened enough?

Likely as not the axle bolts on the rear wheel weren't torqued to spec.

after 200 miles of solo riding and not a single  issue. 
took a pillion for the first time and combined weight of 380, myself being 240.

after about an hour of slow speed stop and go A1A beach cruise, we returned to the main streets. normal 35-45 MPH traffic. we wear earplugs and helmets. but i can usually hear the bike, revs and all.

i noticed driving in close proximity to walls, medians, other vehicles, i started hearing alot of drive chain noise. sounded like the chain was slapping allover the place.

checked the chain and it definitely looked loose, lots of movement when on center stand and when  i had my 140LB gf sit on it.

i didnt think i would have to adjust the chain so early after the Dealer Prep, but could this be common? should i need to adjust the chain this early on.
why didnt i notice it before i brought on the first passenger? could the extra weight displace the wheel and sprocket position from dealer specs? maybe wasnt tightened enough?

I don't have my bike yet or riding weather for that matter... I would expect new sprockets and chain to break-in and need adjustment fairly soon. It should settle down and become predictable.
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

Archived