Accessory mounts above Instrument panel.

Brick

I expect these are all essentially the same item, I bought this one,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorbike-Naked-Bike-GPS-Phone-Holder-for-Yamaha-MT-09-MT-09-MT09-Tracer-NEW-/282165340257?hash=item41b25d6861:g:wOYAAOSwFdtX0hga

fits well, quality finish, thicker / heavier than I expected, very little vibration

The only down side is that the ram ball copy it's fitted with is hard shiny plastic, the ram mounts won't grip it without slipping, I tightened it up enough to deform the ram ball at the other end of the fitting, it still slipped.
Swapped the plastic ball for a genuine ram ball, now it works well.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
@smifff I'm running a V-Stream windshield and it's mounting is different than stock. So I'm concerned that this won't fit. See this photo. 3bb03228cf19e4f7287605c4d15207e0.jpg

Where would that plate fit?

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Brick,

As piotrek says, it should fit,

here's a couple of photo's of where it fits, screen is in the lowest setting. 
An added bonus is that by pushing the screen forward by the half inch or so I seem to have a bit less noise around my helmet

20170111_211728.jpg

20170111_211740.jpg

It doesn't really show but the way I have it angled there's about half an inch clearance between the top of the GPS and the screen, it all seems to fit very nicely.
I rode about 400 k's today, 240 miles I think, on some fairly rough roads, no noticeable movement.

If you'd like any more photos let me know.

20170111_211826.jpg

and this one is from today just after a refuel, 40 degrees C or 104 F in your terms, nice day!

20170111_145622.jpg

Mine may have been the 'custom' mount referred to earlier... I welded a bit of steel onto the stock windshield mount to mount my GPS. At the time there were no similar systems on the market, but now there are other options, and I would probably do it a bit differently. Still works fine, though...

DSC_0404_zpsyq0vtnz2.jpg

DSC_0406_zpsxu0djtzf.jpg

DSC_0411_zpsv0xc0ug0.jpg

• Premium Member
20161026_223746.jpg 
20161026_223755.jpg

Now THAT'S a cockpit.  Almost as many gadgets as a Boeing 737.
Well actually, in my photos you cannot see the dual USB power ports, volt meter, Bluetooth dongle for the RD, and the switches for the twin LED driving lights, tail smoke dispenser, forward & reverse launching rocket launchers, down-force wings deployment, etc...

• Premium Member
Thanks for the replies BUT... I do NOT use that stock bracket when using a V-Stream windscreen.

I've mocked up a bracket that fits between what I'm using on the V-Stream. The cardboard template that I made is right ON. I also purchased from a local welding shop a piece of 1/16" steel. Now I need to find someone with a Sheer and a brake to actually "make the bracket. Then drill the mounting holes AND then grind the RAM mount and drill mounting holes OR get it welded on. Not sure on the RAM ball mount what is under the plati-dip coating. I'll find out when I need to grind it to make it thinner.

I'll take some photo's of my template with the two brackets... and post later.

Not many fabricators where I live in the back woods of Western NC. 

Brick
1999 Suzuki SV650

@smifff I'm running a V-Stream windshield and it's mounting is different than stock. So I'm concerned that this won't fit. See this photo. 3bb03228cf19e4f7287605c4d15207e0.jpg 

Brick, 
You're going a different way and I'm sure that will work.

To be clear though the plate that I have goes between the mounts that allow the screen to move up and down and the plastic screen mount that your V-Stream mount is bolted to, one of the bolts it is held by is visible in the above photo.

In short, if your screen still goes up and down the plate fits.

• Premium Member

Brick, 

You're going a different way and I'm sure that will work.

To be clear though the plate that I have goes between the mounts that allow the screen to move up and down and the plastic screen mount that your V-Stream mount is bolted to, one of the bolts it is held by is visible in the above photo.

In short, if your screen still goes up and down the plate fits.

Hmmm... how much and where did you get this bracket? It sounds like it would be easier and possibly quicker.

Brick
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
Ok if I wanted to purchase one of those mounts, because I can't make the other one because of the V-Stream windshield AND I'm in the USA where would I get the newest thickest one?
When I do an eBay search I find three of the, from the same vendor, at different prices but have the same exact wording in the ad. Vendor is KEMIMOTO China. ?

Brick
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
@piotrek ok you have convinced me... I'm ordering one today.
I think if I had my design made I would have the same amount of money in it. $53 is what the one on EBay costs. And it looks like my design would only fit if using a V-Stream windshield. While this one will fit at least stock and V-Stream windshields. ?
Thanks!

Brick
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
My pics show the Givi's touring screen bracket that replaces the oem. One similar to the US Cycle V-Stream

I wanted multiple mounts so I fabricated two simple 3.5 mm L-brackets with each holes in the long leg of the L with one hole selected for the preferred height of the cross rail, which the Givi's shield kit upper bolt passes though visible in the side views in only the shield brackets upper left and right holes.

TheL-brackets short legs have one hole that align with the center of the bottom of the rail into which I drilled corresponding holes. Thus the rail spans between the two L-brackets creating a rigid, vibration free truss (helped by me using the plastic rather than aluminum rail which has greater damping characteristics if less strength).

So my system is easily height and width adjustable, can handle up to 4 devices (GPS, RD, GO PRO type camera which I don't have or want, and/or a cell phone or RD/Laser jammer

• Premium Member
Oh and my total cost was $18 for two rails (of which I only used one but can use it on another project so really only $9), the L-brackets were in my attic stock but would cost a couple of bucks in material, and the RAM components are required regardless of the primary bracket system utilized. Plus it only took me about an hour to fab an install.

Archived