Accessory mounts above Instrument panel.

Brick

@2and3cylinders That is a nice setup!!

Gotta know bro, what is the mirror offset thingy you are using and where can I order one please?
And which hand guards are those? I have gone through stock, KTM, Hippo, and now Barkbuster Blizzards and still not happy in cold weather. My right is cozy but the left finger tips are still feeling quite breezy and chilly.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
And which hand guards are those? I have gone through stock, KTM, Hippo, and now Barkbuster Blizzards and still not happy in cold weather. My right is cozy but the left finger tips are still feeling quite breezy and chilly.
Have you considered the factory heated grips?  I dont use hand guards at all and have ridden in the 30's with toasty warm hands.  Another thing to consider is gloves, I use Alpinestars WR-2 Gore Tex  Even before getting heated grips I rarely had cold hands.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@betoney I have the heated grips, and also Gerbing XR 7 heated gloves. It could be that I might have damaged my left fingertips from riding in the cold in the past years.

The factory heated grips are burning one hand while the other is just right, or keeping the other chilled while keeping the former cozy at a given setting. Not sure what the solution is. Telling local dealer was a waste of time and money. So I decided cutting out the wind as much as possible and a low setting on heated grips might work. Still in search of that.

• Supporting Member
@betoney I have the heated grips, and also Gerbing XR 7 heated gloves. It could be that I might have damaged my left fingertips from riding in the cold in the past years.  
The factory heated grips are burning one hand while the other is just right, or keeping the other chilled while keeping the former cozy at a given setting. Not sure what the solution is. Telling local dealer was a waste of time and money. So I decided cutting out the wind as much as possible and a low setting on heated grips might work. Still in search of that.
In the past I have used DL650 Hand Guards during winter months.  They are just a plastic shield, no metal back bone, but they have a bit more wrap-around shape and are closer to the lever for more wind protection.  They are fairly inexpensive and can be easily modified to fit most bikes with a Dremel tool.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Resized_20170304_045604.jpg

From Cosmo. I had the GPS and GoPro mounted on the bars. I like them much better up here. There is some vibration, but no more than when they were on the bars. The video actually seems more stable. I think the rubber RAM balls eat some of the vibration. The mount I had on the bars was plastic.

• Premium Member
In the past I have used DL650 Hand Guards during winter months.  They are just a plastic shield, no metal back bone, but they have a bit more wrap-around shape and are closer to the lever for more wind protection.  They are fairly inexpensive and can be easily modified to fit most bikes with a Dremel tool.

Get the KTM items, and leave the Dremel tool in the cabinet. They provide excellent protection, are bolt on items, and have no windshield interference. http://www.ktmpartspro.com/oemparts/p/ktm/6030217910030/handguard-l-s-r-s-cpl-blck

• Premium Member
Resized_20170304_045604.jpg 
From Cosmo. I had the GPS and GoPro mounted on the bars. I like them much better up here. There is some vibration, but no more than when they were on the bars. The video actually seems more stable. I think the rubber RAM balls eat some of the vibration. The mount I had on the bars was plastic.
...looks good. When I bought my Cosmo plate with the RAM ball I wondered about this one and thought there'd not be enough space behind the Puig screen. Now that I installed stand-offs... lots of room.... bummer. Good to know this works well for you. I think that very top triangular end of the plate could be stiffened with a backing plate... but it's really not bad as is.... I can read my GPS fine. Nice dog you got there.... looks perplexed!
I don't have heat in my shed, so I roll the bike into the spare living room to work on it. The only other things in the room normally are the dogs' beds and a fireplace. He doesn't like the bike invading his space.  The first time I did it, he peed on it. >:D 

• Premium Member
Gotta know bro, what is the mirror offset thingy you are using and where can I order one please?
The mirror extensions are made by BikeMaster (look up their catalog) and cost about $20. The bolts are special for the Yamaha because the right mirror bolt is a left hand thread.  They work well and are very decent quality.  But if you hit a Pterodactyl (Sand Crane) in mid flight like I did, the left mirror will swing back and the extension will bust the left control pod's rocker switch (even though it still worked after)! 
The hand guards are the often discussed KTM units of I think a recent year Adventurer, along with different stainless steel socket head cap screws, spacer washers and R&G glass-filled nylon bar end sliders.  Use blue Locktite.

• Premium Member
 Here is my current set-up with lower bars that really helped the handling considerably due to more forward lean and better, more swept wrist angle... 
20170222_193912.jpg

2and3 - I'm REALLY interested in what you've done here, and wonder if you can elaborate on the specific handlebars you're using.  I run the seat in the high position, and the stock handlebars/risers in the forward setting, but still want a little more weight to the front.  Now that I've done the Ohlins shock and fork work, it is even more apparent to me that I need to make a modification similar to yours...   I've contemplated machining some off of the bottom of the stock risers, but what you have done here looks like a much cleaner answer.      
Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

-Scott

Scott, see these threads 
http://fj-09.org/thread/4038/shorter-handlebar-risers-different-handlebars

http://fj-09.org/thread/2828/renthal-handlebars

They are Outlaw Racing TH-08 Low bars that I trimmed with a pipe cutter (slow but sure and accurate) about 8 mm at each end.  They must be drilled/reamed slightly to the proper I.D. for a 16 mm tap (http://www.ebay.com/itm/182040608782?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) for the bar end insert.  I also filled them full and solid with copper coated BBs for vibration damping like I had the OEM bars.  I carefully removed except for a .5 mm nub the left control pod  and throttle housing indexing pins and did not drill corresponding holes in the bars and once positioned and tightened, they have not budged under normal use.  I use AquaNet Extra Hold for grip installation and as my adhesive (as I have for the last 35 years, just no smoking while using it).  And I also sanded down the knurling on the left grip zone (maybe too much) to make re-installation of the OEM heated grip MUCH easier. I think the bar's rise, height, Q.A./control/clamp lengths and sweep are ideal, and that they offer just the control and comfort I desired.  However, I only was able to test them over 2 maybe 200 mile average long rides when we had some incredibly warm days here in the Windy City but so far so good and they only cost me like $70 on Amazon.

BTW, adding a couple of wraps of UL rated electrical tape under the left OEM heated grip will insulate it from the bar and balance felt temperature with the right grip which is insulated by the throttle tube.

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
I know @jgalloway is using this mount and found it worked well. Anyone else using this particular mount?... experiences/opinions? I have the RAM ball version and it works well with the GPS, but thinking of installing the bar instead, to be able to also fit a cam on there. 
IMG_20170824_221900.jpg

That's exactly why I went with the bar. I put a RAM mount on each side. I have the GPS on one side and a camera on the other. As others have mentioned, it does have some play in it when you hit bumps in the road. The GPS will move around some, but not enough that you can't read it. However, even with the software assists turned on to give it a good picture, the GoPro vibrates enough on it that the picture is distorted under certain conditions (mainly under engine braking, for some reason.)
I plan to tear the bike down for a good cleaning over the winter, and when I do, I'm going to weld a piece of 1/4" flat bar to the underside of the mount that runs from the bottom to the top where the tube is mounted. I think that should stiffen her up and get rid of the bouncing/vibrating.  

• Premium Member
The play in it doesn't come from that bar. It comes from the design of the mount. It's too thin. It flexes when you hit bumps and amplifies vibrations from the bike. The entire bar and everything on it moves. Keep in mind that this is the second version of this mount. The first version was half as thick, and it wobbled and vibrated so much that a GPS mounted on it was unreadable. So they made the second version twice as thick. It still isn't strong enough. There is a YouTube video out there that shows the both versions in use. I get that they want to keep it as light as possible, but in this case, they are sacrificing function to do it. If you plan to mount a camera on it, you will not be happy with the video quality. A piece of steel welded (or even bolted) up the center will solve the problem. That's the only thing I plan to do to the bike this winter besides clean her, so it's definitely getting done.

I gave up on the "improved" cosmo mount due the excessive vibration and now just use a ram ball that fits into one of the handlebar mount screws.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Archived