Issues with - K-Tech Razor-R Rear Shock

I just received a very cordial personal message from Oxracing regarding the issues I had with my purchase. Great guys who seem to be willing to make things right with their recent modifications to the shock preload adjusters. Unfortunately, I'd already chosen to go with a different product. Hopefully someone else will buy and confirm that K-tech's new setup on this shock remediates the issues.
What shock you going with Clint? 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently did address the earlier style adjusters and recently began supplying the Razor R shocks with a more robust preload adjuster and tool.
The shock that started this thread was purchased within the last month. How recently is 'recently'? And can retrofit parts be requested by end-users? If the design has been superseded, was there a plan to recall inventory from distributors or update at point of sale? 
I don't believe damping performance has ever come up as being a weakness. And neither was there any intent to imply that 36mm < 46mm and therefore must be inferior. Some of what is at issue is optics. Some is day to day 'livability' and suitability across expected usage patterns. Some is rooted in improper carry over of assumptions and design parameters from 'twin-shock' application that demonstrably no longer apply.

I for one am eager to see K-Tech succeed and offer a better product thru community feedback. It is unfortunate that the thread got started with such a strong negative connotation.

• Premium Member
I just received a very cordial personal message from Oxracing regarding the issues I had with my purchase. Great guys who seem to be willing to make things right with their recent modifications to the shock preload adjusters. Unfortunately, I'd already chosen to go with a different product. Hopefully someone else will buy and confirm that K-tech's new setup on this shock remediates the issues.
What shock you going with Clint?
I'll start a new thread when it comes in and let you know.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
  Recently did address the earlier style adjusters and recently began supplying the Razor R shocks with a more robust preload adjuster and tool.
 It is unfortunate that the thread got started with such a strong negative connotation.
That's because: 
"Unless I hear from K-tech explaining everything that is wrong with their shock - Do Not Buy - K-Tech Razor-R Rear Shock"

Was simply too long of a subject.  (rofl)

Seriously though. As received, I just don't think this is a useable shock. Too many design flaws with the lack of preload provided, and silly tommy bars to make the adjustments. The absence of a torrington bearing is just cutting corners given the resistance that the spring offers. The tommy bars bend excessively from the torque.
People, take a look at a "normal" Razor-R shock. The adjustment rings have a HUGE number of threads for adjustment.
12_19_2016_9_43_38_PM.jpg

Now look at what I received. They flipped the position of the base plate and adjustment rings, leaving VERY little thread to adjust for preload because the base plate is at the END of the threads. I stand by my original assessment.

ktech_received.jpg

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

It is unfortunate that the thread got started with such a strong negative connotation.
That's because: 
"Unless I hear from K-tech explaining everything that is wrong with their shock - Do Not Buy - K-Tech Razor-R Rear Shock"

Was simply too long of a subject.  (rofl)

Seriously though. As received, I just don't think this is a useable shock. Too many design flaws with the lack of preload provided, and silly tommy bars to make the adjustments. The absence of a torrington bearing is just cutting corners given the resistance that the spring offers. The tommy bars bend excessively from the torque.
People, take a look at a "normal" Razor-R shock. The adjustment rings have a HUGE number of threads for adjustment.
12_19_2016_9_43_38_PM.jpg

Now look at what I received. They flipped the position of the base plate and adjustment rings, leaving VERY little thread to adjust for preload because the base plate is at the END of the threads. I stand by my original assessment.

ktech_received.jpg

I have this shock on my fz-07 and it looks similar to yours where the threads are like that. I haven't adjusted the preload yet because of the crappy tools, but I thought adjusting the silver adjustment collars will actually move the black one up because there are no threads on the silver side I can see. I think and hope it will turn the black. I would try but it seriously is the biggest pain right now with the current tools so I don't want to adjust it till I have the new tool or when I get some help for setting the sag.  Mine didn't come maxed out like yours so I didn't really notice and just installed it as is.

Here are the new rings and tool that will be used in future builds and will be available as retrofits. Also the factory is tracing back the serial number of the problematic shock since it was supposed to have threads below the upper ring (just like the FZ07 shock pictured) so it may be a case of a production run using the wrong body.

new%20rings%20and%20tool.png

Ox Racing:
So are CURRENTLY SHIPPING shocs now outfitted with this improved adjuster?  I was going to order this shock as part of a suspension package, but I am not in the mood to wait weeks for the 'new improved' parts if they are not ACTUALLY SHIPPING at this time.

Thanks for your response to my question, I know others are concerned as well.

Pattonme: I just sent you a pm without realizing that this latest post had been added.  I will still go with this shock IF it will be the new version.

• Premium Member
OMG...seriously? Someone changed the "Subject" of this thread I started from "Do Not Buy" to "Issues with"? Did someone get their feelings hurt? Did I give an unfair assessment? No message to me with a "heads up, but we try be PC around here." WTF?
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Much better with more threading on the shock body for more [em]course[/em] range of adjustment. Still no Torrington bearing on the bottom adjuster?
Torrington bearings are a Forks-by-Matt value-added upgrade (free) until such time as the factory changes their mind. 

OMG...seriously? Someone changed the "Subject" of this thread I started from "Do Not Buy" to "Issues with"? Did someone get their feelings hurt? Did I give an unfair assessment? No message to me with a "heads up, but we try be PC around here." WTF?
Thank you for pointing that out.  Did you order your Ohlins yet?

• Premium Member
Thank you for pointing that out.  Did you order your Ohlins yet?
Ended up going a different direction all together. 
http://fj-09.org/thread/4637/christmas-cogent-dynamics

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Much better with more threading on the shock body for more [em]course[/em] range of adjustment. Still no Torrington bearing on the bottom adjuster?
Torrington bearings are a Forks-by-Matt value-added upgrade (free) until such time as the factory changes their mind. 

Excellent...good job! Sure makes preload adjustment easier.