Sign in to follow this  
pattonme

K-Tech IDS cartridge kit - a pictorial

Finally got my hands on a set. Well, one thing is now clear, it is a 20mm diameter two-piston system but sadly not the 25mm that I was hoping for. I dare say the engineers at Ohlins and K-Tech must share sketch books...

The build quality is quite good, and the piston was nicely machined and an intelligent design. It's a 9-hole piston with a 3 to 6 hole bias depending which way it's oriented. And I very much appreciate that they didn't cut a recess into a face for the pop-off shim parts. Racetech, Penske, Andreani, Matris, Ohlins all cut a recess which makes it annoying to have to 'fill in' if you want to flip it over.

It has a nice top-out spring with a modest rate which makes it more useful than the OE which might as well be hitting a brick wall. I'll make another post on the damping curves but looking at the shim stack, I expect it'll be pretty good - it is a major departure from how Ohlins and Andreani have built their stacks.

K-Tech%20IDS%20parts.jpg

K-Tech%20IDS%20piston.jpg

If you have sharp eyes you might have seen a film on the rod near the cartridge holder. This is where someone during assembly got careless with the locktite and forgot to wipe off the excess. It scrapes off with a finger nail but I would have expected a little more care. A second set I looked at was clean.

K-Tech%20thread%20lock.jpg

A big (to me) plus is they oriented the Compression piston in the correct direction to deal with the increased flow rates a 2-piston system like this needs to handle. This is a first! Why everyone else thinks they can just re-use a rebound piston, I don't know.

looks like they make a 25mm as well. Whats the difference in performance? Just sturdier? Also would you rank these as a significant upgrade over the Andreanis? Price seems a bit higher than any other cartridges I have seen so far...

25mm

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

The 2015 catalog shows the likes of the ER6 and SV650 getting the IDS-25 and the FZ09 getting the IDS-20. I was hoping the mis-print (?) went the other way because it seems odd that you would put the "better" 25mm setup in the cheaper bike family. The bigger the piston the more options you have in orifice size and arrangement and more flexibility in valving. So everything being equal a 25mm system is probably plusher and better tuned than a 20mm.

I'm guessing the reason for the 25mm in the SV650-class bikes is because they're mimicking what Matris did with the F15 and Ohlins with the NIX-22 by providing a fake damper rod and then a short cartridge on top. The choice of 25mm probably makes the 2-part assembly easier to design and assemble, and probably helps compensate for trade-offs inherent to the relative lack of working oil volume.

The 25mm IDS (Independent Damping System) K-tech cartridges are offered for the SV650 and ER650 primarily for race applications. With independent damping the left fork leg controls compression damping and the right fork leg is rebound control.The 25mm K-tech cartridges are widely and successfully used in events like the Isle of Man and various levels of national championship road races. It was felt that the $1200.00 cost of these might be a bit above the expected price range for the FZ/FJ09's and that the 20mm cartridges were already more than capable of providing a great front end improvement for road use at a more affordable price range. It might cost a bit more initially but all K-tech products like the 20IDS cartridges are designed and finished to a high standard with hard chromed and or hard anodized internal components.

The 25mm IDS (Independent Damping System) K-tech cartridges are offered for the SV650 and ER650 primarily for race applications. With independent damping the left fork leg controls compression damping and the right fork leg is rebound control.The 25mm K-tech cartridges are widely and successfully used in events like the Isle of Man and various levels of national championship road races. It was felt that the $1200.00 cost of these might be a bit above the expected price range for the FZ/FJ09's and that the 20mm cartridges were already more than capable of providing a great front end improvement for road use at a more affordable price range. It might cost a bit more initially but all K-tech products like the 20IDS cartridges are designed and finished to a high standard with hard chromed and or hard anodized internal components.

Are you the builder of these shocks? Do you supply Pattonme with his shocks? This is his paid board.