Unsatisfied with my FJ-09

i had the same issues shifting early on until I adjusted the shift lever up. Wearing different shoes can affect the angle your foot hits the lever too. I thought before I adjusted that lever that it shifted awful, just as you describe but different shoes would work better with it. Now it's butter smooth.

The rattle while warming up sounds like a CCT issue. There's a service bullitin out there. The dealer should be able to fix it for free. There's guys out there that swear by a manual tensioner but I personally haven't had any issues with it. Personally I'd try the free fix to see if it works. If issues develop again later then I'd get the manual tensioner.

Engine power. Hmm. I'm going to go with throttle body sync but I'm not sure. I don't have as much experience in that area. You might look into getting an exhaust to liven things up with a matching engine flash. Both adds some horses and makes it sound less like a sewing machine. Obviously I would make sure the free fixes above work before dumping money into an exhaust and flash. If you want to skip the flash, you can go with an Akropovic Titanium exhaust as it works with the stock flash. All that being said, people do get used to power. I came from a '70 CB450 to this thing. I have to say I'm now used to the HP. Still enjoy it. There's not too many bikes that can be practical with a better power to weight ration. That being said, I would always love to have more power.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This kind of post from the OP is frustrating.  You're a long way away from any of us, and what is really needed is for you to ride another FJ so you can confirm if it's just your bike, or if it's all of them that bother you this way.  I'm at about 19000 miles at this point on mine.  It's probably the smoothest bike I've ever owned except for my '98 R1100RS.  That bike got crazy smooth after I did some off the books tuning on the fuel injection.  But shifting/clutch/engine are all really fine on my FJ.  It would be fun to swap bikes with another owner to compare.

Sorry for your troubles.  You might want to have your dealer go ever the bike to see if he can fix it up.  No reason for you to suffer.  On the other hand, if I was on the island, I'd be on a small single.  Why so much power when you're only going 30 or 40 miles?

Get the CCT checked. I always had my helmet and ear plugs when starting my bike so never noticed it had started making noise,and had a vibration as well( chased that one before realizing it was loose tensioner, did new chain, new wheel bearings, new rear tire etc) and seemed to be less "snappy" than before. Did a manual tensioner while waiting for recall parts to come in-- and voila-- back to being its old self. Had the recall done a couple days ago but have not ridden since. Your shifting may be partially due to your boots and shifter adjustment as mine did it with a different set of boots, seems lever was not returning all the way and causing me to mis-shift.

Damn, reading through the various threads on here about issues with this. I didn't even realize this was happening, and apparently Yamaha still hasn't fixed it properly. http://fj-09.org/thread/3043/3rd-cam-chain-tensioner-update?page=1&scrollTo=36220 - this guys experience really is worrisome.

Well there are other factors at play in that one..... http://fj-09.org/post/50267/thread 
CS

• Premium Member
When I loosened the overly tight stock chain to what is typical, it really relaxed this bike. The reflash smoothed out the throttle fuel cut which also improved shifting. These two changes together made a huge difference for me.
Because I've had bikes with good suspension, I was disappointed with the FJ-09 stock touring suspension.
Now with an Ohlins suspension package, Graves exhaust, Power Comander V, I've hammered out all my complaints and really like my end product. I guarantee that if anyone were to ride a stock FJ-09 and then hop on mine you would swear you are riding two different bikes. The usable power is addictive. With roll on throttle only in second gear from 40 mph my bike freely lifts the front wheel. That's what 3k in extras get you.

This kind of post from the OP is frustrating.  You're a long way away from any of us, and what is really needed is for you to ride another FJ so you can confirm if it's just your bike, or if it's all of them that bother you this way.  I'm at about 19000 miles at this point on mine.  It's probably the smoothest bike I've ever owned except for my '98 R1100RS.  That bike got crazy smooth after I did some off the books tuning on the fuel injection.  But shifting/clutch/engine are all really fine on my FJ.  It would be fun to swap bikes with another owner to compare. 
Sorry for your troubles.  You might want to have your dealer go ever the bike to see if he can fix it up.  No reason for you to suffer.  On the other hand, if I was on the island, I'd be on a small single.  Why so much power when you're only going 30 or 40 miles?
I'd tend to agree with this if im honest. 

My dad had a r1100rs too.. proper loved it. Gutted he got rid! 

I've not had a smoother bike before.. the triple on the Tracer just seems like butter to me, however, my last bike was a Tuono.. which was rather nothing or everything. 

I too would probably have a 250 or something to get around a small island. A 30 mile trip for me on the Tracer is a very short one! 

second on kevins O2 mod. It really smooths out the lower end. Chugging along in a low gear, essential for 20 mph traffic!, is now a breeze. All my Yamahas have had somewhat abrupt shifting, I'm used to it and when Im tapping through the gears accelerating I enjoy it. As for selling it and getting another bike... I wouldnt own a bike like this on a 30 mile island. Slap a nice WR250R between your legs and you open up all the dirt tracks. Great gas mileage, easy to ride and really a blast even for longer trips. Or a larger scooter that is highway legal.

Based on this post you really are conflicted, or you are just looking for reinforcement of your idea to sell/switch. Let me help you with the second. After my beloved FZ6 was starting to show some age (i was too) I figured something more dual sporty, more old man was what I needed. I bought a V Strom 650 and paid way to much with the luggage and such. I rode that thing for two years. Put a million farkles on it, seat was upgraded to amazing comfort level, shifted easy and the motor was rock solid. Problem was it bored me to tears. I wanted more dirt AND more road. Something with a kick in the pants when I hit tarmac. Bought a WR250 and the FJ. I loved the WR and with some upgrades I have slowly learned to love this bike.

The important part is dont be a goober like me. If you dont like it get something you like. No one here can convince you to like your bike. I freely admit it is not perfect, but I can assure you no bike is.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I need to find a better independent mechanic I think, as I don't really want to pay the dealership $80 / hour to go over the bike and probably tell me I'm a moron. You're very right about the lack of need for the power. I love having it when I open it up, which is rare due to the traffic, and the fact that I can break the speed limit in first gear... it probably just comes down to ego and wanting the faster bike. But I have been tossing around the idea of trading in and just getting something like a CB500F.

i had the same issues shifting early on until I adjusted the shift lever up. Wearing different shoes can affect the angle your foot hits the lever too. I thought before I adjusted that lever that it shifted awful, just as you describe but different shoes would work better with it. Now it's butter smooth. 
The rattle while warming up sounds like a CCT issue. There's a service bullitin out there. The dealer should be able to fix it for free. There's guys out there that swear by a manual tensioner but I personally haven't had any issues with it. Personally I'd try the free fix to see if it works. If issues develop again later then I'd get the manual tensioner.

Engine power. Hmm. I'm going to go with throttle body sync but I'm not sure. I don't have as much experience in that area. You might look into getting an exhaust to liven things up with a matching engine flash. Both adds some horses and makes it sound less like a sewing machine. Obviously I would make sure the free fixes above work before dumping money into an exhaust and flash. If you want to skip the flash, you can go with an Akropovic Titanium exhaust as it works with the stock flash. All that being said, people do get used to power. I came from a '70 CB450 to this thing. I have to say I'm now used to the HP. Still enjoy it. There's not too many bikes that can be practical with a better power to weight ration. That being said, I would always love to have more power.
Great ideas, I was seeing some things out there about the CCT receiving service bullitins, but I couldn't find anything official. I'll check in on that when I go to get a new rear tire on the bike. I'll play with the shift lever some; I did notice today that when I wear my Cortech full race boots that the shifting seems more behaved due to the angle of the boot compared to my Joe Rocket shoes. 

Where in Hawaii are you? I am on the Big Island, Hilo side. You can try my bike if you want, I don't experience any of this.
On Oahu unfortunately, I'm actually surprised to hear someone else on the islands has a FJ-09. South Seas Cycles keeps telling me I've been the only one to get a FJ-09 from them (outside of someone moving out here) :P

I too would probably have a 250 or something to get around a small island. A 30 mile trip for me on the Tracer is a very short one!  

I generally don't suit up for anything  less than 100 miles.  Easier to just take the cage and the fun really isn't there for a shorter ride anyway.
Agreed mate. 

Thats why i sold the Aprilia. 80 mile tank range and it was a nuts 80 miles.. but it did my head in to actually go anywhere and it wasn't worth the hassle. 

750 miles days are on the cards again now! :)

I generally don't suit up for anything  less than 100 miles.  Easier to just take the cage and the fun really isn't there for a shorter ride anyway.
Yet here I am going ATGATT for my 15 mile rides :P 

Yet here I am going ATGATT for my 15 mile rides :P
And well you should, you can get hit or go down due to debris on any ride of any distance. I was down and sliding a couple miles from my residence one morning on an on ramp that I had ridden a hundred times, but this time it had some dew on it that I didn't notice. Be smart, be alive.

Archived