Unsatisfied with my FJ-09

Would you please consider changing the title of this post?  
I'm just sick of seeing it. It's the fj09 forum and reading "unsatisfied with my fj-09 " is getting old. You are entitled to your opinions but at the same time, I'm sick of that unsatisfied sentence headlining my fj09 website. You bought the wrong bike for what you need. Sorry, so go get the bike you want.

Word - how about "How the FJ09 org community helped me to stop worrying and love the bike" 
apocalypse_movies_02.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Felt like making a post about my FJ-09 after almost 2 years, my apologies if this is rambling a bit, so... [strong]TL;DR[/strong]: my FJ-09 seems overly rough, I'm getting sick of it, no one else complains about the issues I have, QQ.
I purchased my FJ-09 brand new sight unseen back in May 2015; I live in Hawaii and the only Yamaha dealership on the island wouldn't bring any FJ-09s in unless you put a deposit down. I test rode a FZ-09, and really liked the engine, shifting, etc. I wanted a bike for daily riding, so I opted to go for the FJ-09 as I saw it as being better for commuting (not much touring to do when 30 miles in any direction puts you in the ocean!, but mounting a 58L Givi Trekker Top Box on it is easier). I now have a little over 12k miles on the bike, and I'm starting to get annoyed at how rough this bike is.
My first impressions were alright; wasn't super impressed with the looks, but I felt like this bike would get the job done. Initially, this was fairly true. The engine was very smooth, but the transmission was very disappointing to me. It is VERY clunky, when shifting both up and down, it really feels like it is slamming into gear. Not to mention that at times when shifting from first to second, it would float into neutral instead of getting into second. Then, when I shifted up to second, it would make a bad grinding sound before getting in. It hasn't done this much recently, but it was pretty annoying when this happened.
I had the shifter shaft recall done and this didn't affect it much (didn't expect it to). I tried using different brands of synthetic 10w-40 oil (Yamalube, Silkolene, Castrol), but it only made the transmission feel smoother for a week or so before it started to get more "clunky." I've tried "pre-loading" before shifting, but it really doesn't help much.
Now, the engine too is starting to get less than thrilling. I swapped out my spark plugs a couple weeks ago, and the engine felt smoother for a while, but it too is starting to get rough and anemic (maybe I'm just used to the power now with the bike.) Something that has been bothering me is when the FJ-09 first fires up, there is an almost knocking sound coming from the engine that goes away once it has been warmed up for 5~ minutes. It sounds worst than the normal sewing machine sound, but the fact it goes away means this is probably nothing and I'm worrying too much. And when I drop it into neutral at a light, the transmission itself starts to make a louder "rattling" noise until I shift it back into gear...not sure what to think of that.
Anyways, the nail in the coffin with my FJ-09 is because of my brother's old 2013 Triumph Street Triple R. That thing is buttery smooth in all aspects, especially the shifting. It's quite a stark contrast to me how it glides into gear and doesn't feel like the transmission is going to drop out below me. I'm not a stranger to notchy shifting, but my FJ-09 drives me crazy with its unpredictable transmission. Sometimes it is smooth, other times it clunks hard. I tend to rev match pretty well most of the time, but maybe I need to perfect this more?
Do I simply need to "man up" and enjoy the roughness? Am I over thinking this? I don't necessarily have a problem with it, but this bike is my daily ride and it gets to be annoying after a while. I would have traded this long ago for a Triumph, but depreciation on brand new bikes is fantastic (that's another post in the making about never buying bikes brand new if you expect not to instantly lose 40% of its value...). My old '07 Ninja 650R was smoother than my FJ-09...
Anyone else feel the same about their FJ-09?

I'm just sick of seeing it. It's the fj09 forum and reading "unsatisfied with my fj-09 " is getting old. You are entitled to your opinions but at the same time, I'm sick of that unsatisfied sentence headlining my fj09 website. You bought the wrong bike for what you need. Sorry, so go get the bike you want.

I respectfully disagree. The OP describes in detail the concerns he's having with his bike, even comparing it to similar other bikes. He concludes with legitimate questions for other forum members. He's simply stating how he feels about his bike; he's unsatisfied with it. 
He didn't write "don't buy one". Asking him to change the thread title is a form of censorship. Can't he voice his opinion as he chooses?
Keep Asheville weird!

I respectfully disagree. The OP describes in detail the concerns he's having with his bike, even comparing it to similar other bikes. He concludes with legitimate questions for other forum members. He's simply stating how he feels about his bike; he's unsatisfied with it. 
He didn't write "don't buy one". Asking him to change the thread title is a form of censorship. Can't he voice his opinion as he chooses?

Because this is the fj-09 forum and Im sick of seeing the title headlined on the fj-09 forum all the time, every day. I doubt that Im alone here. As owner of this website, I could just get rid of it but im not, Im asking nicely. His concerns are ok I guess. But most of us here love the bike. Thats why we are here.

And I don't want the fj-09 website that I pay for ea month to be announcing "unsatisfied with FJ-09" all the time. Thats why.

The titles of posts affect perception of our attitude towards the fj-09. His attitude of the bike is not the general consensus here. Anyone of you are welcome to create a new forum called "everything wrong with the FJ-09" Forum, pay for it ea month, spend untold hours working on it for free.

Again, Im just asking the title be changed. I'm just sick of seeing it.

No argument. And no finessing either. I think this thread has run it's course and is pretty much resolved so im locking the thread.

And OP. Just go get your ecu flashed. The FJ-09 and FZ-09 are detuned for usa emissions and it really screws up the fueling and throttle response bigtime. Get the 2wdw tune or another, and the fueling goes smooth.

Peace

Archived