How long did your original battery last ?

ilanr1

• Premium Member
On 4/30/2019 at 4:04 PM, texscottyd said:

Until today.  My original battery lasted until today...  2015 model, bought new in March 2016.  14,327.4 miles (give or take) 

Interestingly, the Battery Tender showed it as fully charged, but when I hit the starter it made about three or four slow revolutions, and then just a click and vague electronic buzzing noises.   Yup, it’s dead!  

Replacement is already installed, and it fired right up.  All is right with the world once again...

Had the exact same experience as you, back in January. OEM battery laster 3.5 years, the worst longevity I've ever had out of an OEM, and I also keep mine on a Battery Tender.... And mine also spoofed me like yours. 

• Thumbsup 1
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

I just replaced mine in my ‘15 tracer. I had a lithium that I’d been using as a camping battery that was the right size! Sometimes you get a win. The original while still working was requiring a charge between rides and not holding its charge too well. 4 years old with about 39,000k’s on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally changed my original battery yesterday... was still cranking but could tell it was getting weak (especially if it was below 60F in the AMs). Got worried about being stranded somewhere so I changed it. Lasted over 3 years on my '15.

Also thank you to everyone who has put the battery in incorrectly. Thanks to your sacrifices I knew what to look for and the install was a breeze.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member

I just replaced my original battery after 4 yrs 7 months and 35,400 miles. I do not connect my battery to a charger and yet it lasted long enough.

I chose an inexpensive replacement from Battery Sharks that cost only $26. That price was hard to pass up as long as it lasts at least a few years.

I found it interesting that the  battery box contains a spacer that is about 5/8 inch thick, so a larger battery could be installed to provide more charge capacity.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

My Tracer is only 2 and a half years old and still has the original battery, but my FZ6 Fazer which I bought new in 2004 only had the original battery replaced after 11 years, including over a year where it wasn't started once. 

I have an Optimate 3+ that the Fazer is permanently connected to when not being ridden, which is most of the time. It only has 57,000 km on the clock after almost 16 years so it hasn't worked hard.

Haven't had the Tracer long enough to have replaced it's battery, but my experience has always been 4+ years... In that I've never had to replace a motorcycle battery unless it was dead when I bought the bike.  However, I've changed bikes at about that rate, so I don't know how much longer they'd have lasted.  

But, I ride year round, with a substantial number of kilometers - I've never had a motorcycle sit more than a week without running and that's during vacations, basically, when it's typically on a battery maintainer.  

As far as I can tell, they last a REALLY long time when used every day.  It's sitting that kills them.

• Thumbsup 1

• 7 months later...
  • Supporting Member
39 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

This has to be the smallest battery I've seen on an almost liter class bike.

Even with constant Tendering, I'm not expecting a long life.

I have the original battery in my 2015 and is still starts immediately every time.  The battery is more than adequate.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***