Satisfied with my FJ09

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I love you guys and gals. We have one hell of a group of good people here. Thanks so much!
A reflection of our leadership!
Creep :P 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I spy a WSMC patch!! I ran (briefly) with them in the 90's before spending more time with CMRRA, where racing YSRs was a better fit for my budget. I just picked up my FJ-09 yesterday. Stocked!!

Anyway, hello from a fellow (former) knee dragger! :)

Chadman http://www.twistypedia.com
The roster: '79 Honda XL 125 '83, Honda Ascot VT500, '84 Kawasaki GPz 550, '83 Honda VF700, '86 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '87 Kawasaki Ninja 1000, '84 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '96 Honda CBR600F, '98 Kawasaki ZX-7R, '85 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '01 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '16 Yamaha FJ-09, '15 Yamaha FJR1300ES, KTM 1290 Super Duke GT

I fully concur with the whole thread...the last bike I truly bonded with was my TDM...10 years ago...until Tracey came into my life...I'm even considering marriage.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Love love love my bike and its RED!  When I bought it I knew it would need a reflash, suspension upgrade, luggage hardware, and electronic cruise installed. 
I've done these upgrades and I'm delighted with my bike.  Would 150 HP be fun from time to time, sure, but I have a better chance to retain my license with 117.

Anyone else happy with their FJ?

I also love my FJ-09.  I also don't need 150 hp or the 124hp in my FJR.  Not sure about retaining my license though.  The bike is easy to ride, a little twitchy on the steering, but you get used to it as you relax and lighten the grip.  I have done over 38K and I am still very happy, even after the 74mph crash (deer).  Bike is pretty much stock with OEM seat, shocks and no flash.  I flashed my 2014 FZ-09 but never felt the FJ needed it.  

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Before my Tracer, i had two MT-09's, and been so overly happy with their performance.
When i upgraded my first MT, i was wondering to go for the Tracer instead, but the deal on the MT was just way too good to let go.
Now, 8 months later, its been traded in, and i even got the dealer to swap exhaust and other equipment without paying any extras - so third deal was as least as good as second, and i must admit, i already now class the Tracer as the best bike i've ever had - and i've had many :)
The engine is just superb, and the price and the whole package is to me, unbeatable.

• Premium Member
I love you guys and gals. We have one hell of a group of good people here. Thanks so much!
A reflection of our leadership!
I want to echo both of you.  As someone who likes to mess with perfectly good things the recommendations, advice and vendors from this boards have been invaluable.  

Before my Tracer, i had two MT-09's, and been so overly happy with their performance. When i upgraded my first MT, i was wondering to go for the Tracer instead, but the deal on the MT was just way too good to let go.
Now, 8 months later, its been traded in, and i even got the dealer to swap exhaust and other equipment without paying any extras - so third deal was as least as good as second, and i must admit, i already now class the Tracer as the best bike i've ever had - and i've had many :)
The engine is just superb, and the price and the whole package is to me, unbeatable.
stripy, I think you nailed it. I've had other bikes that were more powerful, had sport bike handling, or were more comfortable cruisers, but the FJ seems to do well in all the categories. For my needs, it the best do-all motorcycle I've owned.
To simplify my life, I'm downsizing my fleet to two bikes. One for dirt and one for street. The FJ is my street bike. 

• 2 weeks later...
Since price is a major issue with me I'm going with the Battlax BT 023's.  They keep coming in second to the Michelin Pilot Road 4's but only because the Michelins are better wet road tires.  I'm looking forward to getting them on the bike, just waiting for our riding season to get here, toward the end of February.  Yes I'm a fair weather rider.  I do take her out when it's above 55.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Avon's Trailrider. Just sayin'
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Supporting Member
Backordered Yamaha Heated Grips shipped yesterday......
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.  Between the heated grips and my Tourmaster heated vest, I have taken several rides lately with temps in the 30's and been toasty warm.  A word of caution, they get HOT!, when you initially set the heat levels, try lower numbers, like 2/4/6 to start with.  The ONLY concern I have with the grips is they are a very hard material, I'm not sure how they will fare when I switch to summer gloves, I have previously used dual compound gel grips in the past.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

...The ONLY concern I have with the grips is they are a very hard material, I'm not sure how they will fare when I switch to summer gloves, I have previously used dual compound gel grips in the past...

A few forum members have used "grip puppies" over the OEM heated grips and claim it works great. I personally don't find the grips too hard, but I can certainly understand what you mean.. they are on the harder side of things.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I have the grip puppies over Bikemaster heated grips. Fantastic. Not only saves my wrists from taking a beating but also helps spread the heat so you dont get super hot spots.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived