Satisfied with my FJ09

• Premium Member
My previous bike was a 2013 Street Triple R, and I never quite bonded with her. She was beautiful, and had a lovely voice, but the magic wasn't there for me. The FJ is a much better fit. More leg room, more power and (especially) torque across the board, better low-speed handling, better wind protection (once I replaced the wretched stock screen).

I really the stock seat. It is nice and firm, and allows me to move all the way forwards for sport, or back a little for more space. It is light and small enough for bombing around the city, but big and stable enough for good highway manners. It's okay for 2-up, although a little tall for 2-up low speeds.

I probably could have been okay with an inordinate amount of clutching, but I got the 2wd ecu flash and it smoothed things out a lot.

Hypermotard/strada is enticing, I have to admit, but it would become less enticing after about 10 minutes on the highway.

R1200RT has a lot of appeal too...although smiles-per-hour would be significantly down.

What I love most about the FJ I think is that it makes even a routine commute exciting, while still being super-versatile and even dare I say practical (for a motorcycle).

I also have a piaggio bv-350, which is useful, but hard to get excited about. The Buddy 170i I had was oddly more exciting, but its speed and range limits made it impractical for getting around the SF Bay Area.

I could see trading the FJ for a Hyper AND an R1200RT. Plus maybe a small bike for when the big Europeans were both in the shop! Duke or RC390?

But given my reality, I am very, very satisfied, and I look forward to and enjoy riding my FJ every single time.

Overall smiles per hour = highest of any bike on the market for me.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived