How the f%k do you read the fuel gauge?

Exactly as the title states, I am confounded by this damn fuel gauge. I haven't been on a long trip yet and this thing worries the heck out of me. The other day, I was on "full" fuel ( I knew I wasnt actually full, but close to dropping a bar off) and it went from all 5 bars, to 3. I stopped for a bit, got on and it went from 3 to 4, and after riding for a little while it was on 2 bars....

Where do I "oh shit" for fuel? Im used to driving non injected bikes that have a reserve, and no reserve makes me worry...

My Harley was FI but I could also open the tank and see the level and knew where the oh shit moments were. 

HELP an idiot please...

The gauge is not the best. You have two trip meters and I suggest you use 1 strictly for fuel. Reset it at every fill up and keep an eye on it and your average fuel mileage. You will learn pretty quickly what your range is and how far you can go before it starts blinking. The nice thing about the gauge is once you hit "reserve" it adds another trip meter and tracks mileage from when the low fuel light first came on. It works pretty good.

The gauge is not the best. You have two trip meters and I suggest you use 1 strictly for fuel. Reset it at every fill up and keep an eye on it and your average fuel mileage. You will learn pretty quickly what your range is and how far you can go before it starts blinking. The nice thing about the gauge is once you hit "reserve" it adds another trip meter and tracks mileage from when the low fuel light first came on. It works pretty good.
ok that extra trip meter thing is cool, did not know that. ive been waiting to see how far i can go so i can do the numbers game, i just dont wanna run out ya know

I find it takes the guage a few kilometers to correct itself after it comes up off the side stand. Leaning seems to affect the guage by quite a bit. That said, once the main block of fuel is gone, the rest of the blocks disapear fast.

The manual says that when it starts flashing, it has 2.6 liters left. That is pretty accurate based on how much I put in the tank. By my calculations, unless you're riding around in hooligan mode (A mode), you should be able to go about 50KMs after it starts flashing. Haven't tested that yet.

Guest eatpasta
yeah - we've had the fuel gauge discussion already....supposedly it doesnt really work.
Just do what you always done, reset the odo and keep an eye on it

Archived