• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

The FJ-09 improves with some upgrades

• Premium Member
I am curious about the M4 slip on and ECU tuner. This was the first time I had seen a slip on for the bike and was surprised more hadn't come up with this idea. My question about the M4 is how much louder is it than stock with the dB killer installed. I do not like a loud bike, but the FJ-09 is too quiet. Also, did you chose an off the shelf ECU flash for the bike, or made modifications yourself? 
It's a lot louder than stock, but not too loud for me. The ECU software comes with some generic fuel maps for slip-ons and full systems. I went to Power Commander's website and downloaded a fuel map. They post them for free. Then the ECU software allows you to import them.

Two of my upgrades tie for first place. I changed the seat first, because I couldn't do more than 100 miles or so on the stock one before I was hurting, and my passenger was suffering from the start. With the Corbin, I've done over 500 miles in a day (2-up) with no complaints from me or my passenger. Then I installed an M4 slip-on and flashed the ECU myself with the tuner from ftecu.com (I did those two together, so I'm counting them as one upgrade.) That eliminated the top speed limiter and the abrupt throttle response while giving a noticeable torque increase. Both of these mods drastically improved the bike. I can't decide which one made it more ride-able for me, so they both get fist place.  
I should mention that pattonme has my forks, so the previously mentioned upgrades may soon fall to tie for 2nd place.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I keep mess-a-lating with the beast and it just keeps getting better and better. Very frustrating as I drool over the new models but can't fake a reason to swap. I think I am happily stuck with this one for a while. Since I am a baby and place comfort before function I have to give the most-improvement-for-the-buck award to swapping out the windshield and seat. I picked up two windshields from Calsci, a shorty for around town and a touring for...well...touring and am pleased as can be. Both smooth out the airflow just like you want and drop the decibels appreciably over OEM. A Corbin seat is making a critical part of me very happy over the OEM baseball bleacher. My biggest surprise came with the improvement in fueling with an ECU flash from 2wheeldynoworks, dang that one blew me away. What was choppy and abrupt became smooth and responsive. The difference is remarkable and is my only must-have mod.. Nels the king of good service runs sales most holidays - take advantage of one. My most important improvement was an engine cage and skid plate from higdonian, looks super, protects the engine and the vulnerable how-much-sake-did it-take-to-design-this-one oil drain plug. In fall I got a new front and rear suspension from Traxxion Dynamics installed, now I truly laugh at the overpriced, overhyped and oft-repaired European POS's. The bike is as nimble as can be, stable over bumps and carves turns like a World Cup skier. With this world class engine I am having fun. I did pick up some Shad side and top cases and find them cheaper and better designed than the Yamaha offering, but am hesitant to recommend them as although the product is good and miles cheaper than Yamaha, if there are any problems, Shad service is scary bad and you could be screwed. Next up will be rubberized foot pegs to remove minor vibration cause I can.

For me, the 2wheeldynoworks ecu reflash was the best mod. Smoother throttle and less engine braking.

Second was the suspension, andreanni fork cartridge kit and Nitron R3 shock.

Seat concepts carbon seat is nice to move around, but I liked stock too.

All of this was possible due to this great forum. Thanks guys!

'Wench with a wrench'...some how has a better cadence than 'wench with a spanner'
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

4500?? When I looked at a new Multistrada it was over 20k... that's more like 10k.
Probably bought a used Multistrada...OR...he declined the "take home mechanic" option.  :) 
567-ducati-making-mechanics-out-of-riders-since-1946.jpg

Personally, I would have taken the mechanic option. She appears to be quite good at wrenching nuts.  :D

working-hard.jpg
Sorry Clint I didn't buy a used Multi.  It is a '15 1200.  My post was somewhat tongue in cheek.  As I said elsewhere my friend owns a Ducati/Triumph Dealership.  Last spring he sold me a new leftover '15 base( no Skyhook suspension and no color dash) Touring model(includes bags, heated grips) for $14,500. plus $395 in fees.  Too good a deal to pass up.  As I've also said elsewhere on the road in the real world there isn't all that much difference in the 2 bikes a "tweaked" FJ-09 and the Multi.  Multi is faster but there is seldom a place you can use it.  That's why in spite of some people's negativity I'm back on this forum and hunting for another FJ-09.  I love the Ducati poster, where did you find it?      

• Premium Member
It's great to have you with us @donk! That MS12 is a fantastic bike and will serve you well! You can find that Ducati poster simply by Googling "Ducati making mechanics".
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

It's great to have you with us @donk ! That MS12 is a fantastic bike and will serve you well! You can find that Ducati poster simply by Googling "Ducati making mechanics".
Or I will serve it well!  Thanks for the lead on the poster.  

Probably bought a used Multistrada...OR...he declined the "take home mechanic" option.  :) 
567-ducati-making-mechanics-out-of-riders-since-1946.jpg

Personally, I would have taken the mechanic option. She appears to be quite good at wrenching nuts.  :D

working-hard.jpg
Sorry Clint I didn't buy a used Multi.  It is a '15 1200.  My post was somewhat tongue in cheek.  As I said elsewhere my friend owns a Ducati/Triumph Dealership.  Last spring he sold me a new leftover '15 base( no Skyhook suspension and no color dash) Touring model(includes bags, heated grips) for $14,500. plus $395 in fees.  Too good a deal to pass up.  As I've also said elsewhere on the road in the real world there isn't all that much difference in the 2 bikes a "tweaked" FJ-09 and the Multi.  Multi is faster but there is seldom a place you can use it.  That's why in spite of some people's negativity I'm back on this forum and hunting for another FJ-09.  I love the Ducati poster, where did you find it?    

Welcome back man. I too am looking for an FJ-09, but not until this spring. It's the ultimate "do everything including commute" bike. Especially after its flashed and rid of the USA detune. I miss my FZ-09 but an FJ can take me further, more comfy with seat foam upgrade and with bags and hand warmers.

Congrats on the Duc. Thats a great bike you got and it would be fun up here in Idaho twisties.

Welcome back man. I too am looking for an FJ-09, but not until this spring. It's the ultimate "do everything including commute" bike. Especially after its flashed and rid of the USA detune. I miss my FZ-09 but an FJ can take me further, more comfy with seat foam upgrade and with bags and hand warmers.  
Congrats on the Duc. Thats a great bike you got and it would be fun up here in Idaho twisties.

Thanks, the Duc is ok, you just have to learn to shrug your shoulders and say, "It's Italian." Once I get my hands on another FJ-09 it will be interesting to ride them back to back. The FJ-09 is a great bike not just at its price point but compared to any bike. Just wish Yamaha would spend the extra few dollars and add cruise. Make it a complete package. 

It's great to have you with us @donk ! That MS12 is a fantastic bike and will serve you well!

Why, why why did you have to say that about the Duc?  It went and dropped a cylinder New Year's Day!  Dealer is talking to Ducati trying to figure out what to do.  Warranty is great and fortunately I have my trusty Triumph to ride.  The search for an FJ-09 just went from casual to serious!

Even compared to having a bike fixed under warranty for free it is much more satisfying and fun to spend money improving the FJ-09.  There is a sense of accomplishment instead of a sense of frustration.  I really enjoyed the project part of making the FJ-09 exactly what I wanted. 

It went and dropped a cylinder New Year's Day! 
Outrageous.  Just so I can increase my indignant self righteousness please share the mileage and months on the road prior to "dropping a cylinder" 
Thank you and WELCOME BACK!
Sorry to disappoint but it was a sensor gone bad, bike went into fail safe mode and deactivated the front cylinder. Dealer overestimated the problem. In any event it certainly put a spur to me about finding an FJ-09. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
My 3 best modifications to the 2015 FJ 09 are: 1. ECU flash by 2wheeldynoworks;
2. Full suspension upgrade by Traxxion Dynamics; and
3. McCruise electronic cruise control (Aussie version).
I fully agree.  My MCCruise is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived