Windsheilds (Madstad, Cee Baileys, etc.) - what to do?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also have the Madstad, first getting the 22". I am 6'1" and after a brief trial, felt that the 24" would be more suitable. That has turned out to be the case and the exchange was easy. My experiences with the company were excellent and I highly recommend the product.
G8r

• Premium Member
Mine came with a V-Stream. When I first saw it I thought it looked like a big ass barn door. After riding with it... well I think I like it. At minimum I will keep it for colder weather. bffab53a5085f072398b6e679be0c2ca.jpg
fa6b83b3a89f75fd710f2e6cee558b10.jpg
I might look into a smaller one for summer.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• 4 weeks later...
eetea - can you tell me how you cut the crescent out of the top of the screen? Did you draw around some form of template and then use a dremel or something?

This screen looks like the one for me at 5'7", and I like the adjustment you made too.

Ta and all that.

FG

The single thing is patience.

For marking out I used a white chinagraph crayon (the type glass people use for marking glass ..this is waxy and is easy to rub off and doesn't scratch.

To get a level line you have two options

1: use a laser level. Set this up on a tripod at the exact height to the finished screen height, and exactly in the middle and the front of the bike (obviously bike is level and on centre stand ..only use the prop stand if you want an "unorthodox" slant)..

If the laser is higher than the finished screen edge you will end up with a downward slope, or if lower, an upward slope. So get this bit right.

Project the laser onto the screen and mark the screen with the chinagraph pencil. I did this with just a series of dots that I then joined up....I was great at dot to dot drawing books when I was 6, and seemed a good excuse to use my expert skill in this area.

2: If you don't have a laser level to hand.

Mark the same highest point on each side of the screen (by measuring from the base, or in my case the existing corner of the screen). Now tape across the back, but just so the tape is tight (like a bow string) and only attached at the screen at each end...and make sure its not stretchy PVC tape. This is going to be your reference line.

Stand at the front and make sure to have your eyes a the same height every time (rest on a broomstick or something) mark exactly half way point with a short dash, then half way between that and the edge, then half again etc until you get a continuous line. Check it looks level against the tape you can she through the screen...if necessary wipe off the chinagraph dot and stick another one...patience remember.

Then take the screen off, and cut along the line with a hacksaw..I used a junior hacksaw. Now, do this slowly. And stay true to your line, any deviation correct straight away. Make sure you protect the screen from getting scratched - I ie this resting on some new grip mat and on the dining room table away from my gritty work shop.

I don't know how experienced you and others are ?, so I hope you don't view this as patronising, but a good tip for getting neat straight saw cuts is: a) a very thin line and b) as you cut, line your cut,  not to the "line" but to a very specific place in the line - like you're looking through a magnifying glass, and cut exactly to the centre of the line, or exactly to where the line and the material meet.  [same for shooting, darts etc don't aim for the target centre, aim for a little imagined pinprick centre of the centre of the target...actually works for riding too aim to hit a very very specific point..I ramble!]...

Once cut, it will be course edge, so then use wet and dry with a sanding block (don't be tempted to not use a block, you'll end up with undulations) take care not to scratch the face of the screen too.

The screen material is quite soft and cutting and rubbing down is easy...but so is scratching, and going off line. Patience and a bit at a time .

Next. Fit. Take piccys to show here. Then enjoy.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

eetea - can you tell me how you cut the crescent out of the top of the screen? Did you draw around some form of template and then use a dremel or something? 
This screen looks like the one for me at 5'7", and I like the adjustment you made too.

Ta and all that.

FG
I'm 5'8" and this works well for me BUT be aware the screen protects from shoulders down, not head.  
This works really well because all of the noise and buffeting has gone, I'm in clean air flow.

And the plus is, that "ocassionally" it rains in the UK, and the air flow over the helmet allows the water to bead and flow off.  Behind a screen I just have to look through the water droplets.

If you want to hear what clean air feels like before you commit. Take your existing screen off and go for a ride...you'll be surprised how quiet and smooth it is..although with no screen you will get pushed back on your body, which is why a low screen is a good solution.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I also have a Madstad and love it. It does cost more than any other screen I have found but what sold me on it was that its the only one that's adjustable. With any other screen, if it doesn't work for you as is, you're either cutting it or hating it or buying another one. I fiddled with the adjustments quite a bit and still frequently change them depending on the weather and what I am doing on any given ride.

The OEM windshield has A LOT of buffeting and was impacting my ride quality too much. I could handle it for 3-4 hours but anything past that I would get a headache. I'm planning on taking long trips this summer so I had to do something. I ordered a Madstad 22" from TwistedThrottle (Canada) and it should arrive in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to try it out in the spring. Hopefully I got the right size - I'm 5'9" so I think I'll be pleased. Now all I need is a Corbin seat, tank bag and a top case (already have the Givi V35 TECH side cases so will probably go with the V47NN Tech).

• 2 months later...
I visited Madstad today and cannot tell you how impressed I was with the staff, facility and all of the amazing parts and accessories that they fabricate in house. From steel to aluminum to acrylic…these guys can create anything! They fitted my FJ-09 with a 22” windshield, installed it and had me go on a test ride to see how it functioned. I was gone for nearly 30 minutes enjoying the new shield and making few stops to tweak the adjustments on the mounting brackets. When I got back to the shop, I explained the scenarios and they suggested going to a 24” shield. So, get this, while I waited (approx. 1 hour), they custom fabricated a new windshield and added 1.75” to each side for maximum coverage. The ride back home is just over an hour and I enjoyed every bit of it…no more wind noise or buffeting! 
Again, I cannot say enough positive things about this company. The people were great and they made sure that I was completely satisfied before I left. They also offer a 60 day guarantee on their products. I only wish there were more companies like this…they are amazing and talented people!
(I will post a few pics tomorrow)

P1040580.jpg

P1040581.jpg

P1040579.jpg

I wish this was an option - to ride in and purchase... But it's a 20 hr ride to get there! 
wondering if there is anyway I can ask them to make me the same thing that you got (with the extra coverage, etc)

I'm sure that they would do it. Call them up on the phone and tell them what you want - 24" shield and have them make it an additional 2" wider then their standard template. That will give an extra inch per side.

I'm assuming there's still enough clearance for the hand guards with the additional width? Thanks!

I'm sure that they would do it. Call them up on the phone and tell them what you want - 24" shield and have them make it an additional 2" wider then their standard template. That will give an extra inch per side.

Good question. So, if you notice on my photos, I removed the 2nd layer of hand guards and used the plugs to hide the screws on the primary guard. Even still, my handlebars bump the windshield a bit but there is no consequence to this. The shield is flexible and the guards to not damage the shield whatsoever.

Archived