13,500 commuter miles 1-9-2017, update 25,000 12-11-2017

Eastern Oregon is my favorite destination for cheese grater roads.  I have so much fun out there that I don't mind the increased wear one bit.
There's a price to be paid for good traction, for sure...just sucks when freeway commute eats the tire down the middle before you get to enjoy the rest of it in the twistys.
That's why stuck on the Avon's with dual compound, harder rubber in the centre portion :) 

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In same boat. I put 7k on my bike since April and 80% is commuting to work, Why you say, its the only method to get to work that puts a smile on my face. My tires have a lot of tread left probably for another 3-5k.With young kids and family I take what ever rides I can get when ever I can.

• 2 weeks later...
My rear was gone at 6k miles. I went down to The Dragon and all the area around it last June and completely ate the side off the rear tire in 5 days. It was a slick on the sides, no grooves left at all. That is the first time I've ever done that with the sides of a tire, the Dunlop did not last good at all. My front still looks great, but unfortunately I have gotten a shake in the front end at around 40mph and have had the bike into the dealership twice to check and they've had the bike apart both times and are now certain it's the tire. It has gradually gotten worse, so when the weather warms up I'll be putting a new front on.

Of the 13,135 miles on my tires, less than 2% are highway. I avoid the highway at all costs because its super boring. I don't ride at 4000rpm all the time but I don't redline shift all the time either. I mostly ride on weekends where days are 200-400 miles each day. No commuting at all.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

13,000 miles out of a set of motorcycle tires is just fundamentally wrong. ;) Isn't the purpose of riding a motorcycle to wear the sides of the tires off as quickly as possible? Do you ever take the engine past 4,000 RPM? 13,000 miles on one set of tires on anything with more performance than a Harley is inconceivable to me.
If I get 4,500 miles out of a set of tires, I'm pleased. If I get 5,500 miles I'm ecstatic.
Congratulations. I think.
I think these guys are just messing with you bentaero, when I ride the twisties my front tires are gone at around 4,500 max. And when I go cross country with a lot of straight roads my rear is done around 5,000 miles or so running dual compound sport touring tires. And I think building a trailer to save your tires is an excellent idea.

Well, I've ridden with you @britelitebob in the mountains... lets just say Im surprised that your tires even last that long :D .

Looking forward to another meetup in the future.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 10 months later...
25,500 now. Bike seems the same??? Overall quality of body work and metal parts still looking new. I did get a new chain at 18k. Basically just oil and filter changes. Cam chain tensioner from the factory recall. Never changed the spark plugs, looking forward to 27k valve job in the next month.

Later

Greg

Guest kernowjim
Love how you Americans do so many miles in such a short time, I'm in the UK and have only ridden in dry weather and when I've had the time and I've managed 1200 miles since July - pathetic!

• Premium Member
Love how you Americans do so many miles in such a short time, I'm in the UK and have only ridden in dry weather and when I've had the time and I've managed 1200 miles since July - pathetic!
America is big, really big. If you have some time and like to ride it can be pretty easy. While this isn't exact this overlay is pretty close. 

size_comparison.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Guest kernowjim
America is big, really big. If you have some time and like to ride it can be pretty easy. While this isn't exact this overlay is pretty close. 

size_comparison.jpg

and for the most part, it has better weather too (Spain, Italy and the South of France excepted)

size_comparison.jpg

size_comparison.jpg

Dec 12, 2017 4:15:21 GMT -6 kernowjim said:

Really like the overlay you did.  Outstanding.