13,500 commuter miles 1-9-2017, update 25,000 12-11-2017

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Supporting Member
SoCal has 320 good riding days. I'm really lucky to live here.
SoCal? Should be closer to 365. I have 330-340 good riding days up here in Oregon.
@keithu  You must be a rain rider.  I am only 3 hours north of Albany and there is no way that we get close to 300 "good riding days" up here.  I dont purposely ride in the rain and between November and April we get a LOT of rain.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
keithu  You must be a rain rider.  I am only 3 hours north of Albany and there is no way that we get close to 300 "good riding days" up here.  I dont purposely ride in the rain and between November and April we get a LOT of rain.

Yes, I do ride in the rain. I have one word for you: Aerostich.

But also, I am a few hours south of you. It doesn't seem like a great distance but the hills south of Salem block cold Arctic air in the winter. We're just warm enough that snow and ice are virtually non-existent.

• Premium Member
As far as commuting vs. joyriding:

I live in the SF Bay Area, where there are two very good reasons to commute via bike rather than car: "carpool lane" and "lane splitting".

For me day to day, it's a choice between public transportation and motorcycle. Either way, it's 30 minutes each way give or take. If I have somewhere I need to go afterwards, I'll take the bike. If there's some drinking that needs to be seen to, I'll take the train.

If I tried to do the commute by car, it would take an hour or more, and I would be a sad, sad panda by the end of it.

Oh, and my gf and I share one car (and a motorcycle and a scooter and a bunch of bicycles). During the week, she has more use for the car than I do.

So I have a very good justification for owning and riding a motorcycle.

And I also need one that is reliable, which is part of why the FJ ultimately won out over a *Strada of some sort.

Same here you got how many miles......??????? 

Keep Asheville weird!
Was in the downtown area last year during IRMA in September. Good eats and some local entertainment, good stuff. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Hill Country, Bandara, TX. Chip seal year after year. With the way I ride. Lots of engine breaking and using your gears as breaks. Tires don't last long. And yes Roadsmart II's are nice. Now let's see how much they improved the Roadsmart III. Used to run Avon 79's and 80's. Lucky to get 1,200 miles out of a rear. Very high on confidence running them. Very good feel. If I'm 1/2 way thru a set f tires and going to The Hill Country in Tx I put on a new set. 1/2 or less tread and 800 miles....they won't make it. 

Hill Country, Bandara, TX. Chip seal year after year. With the way I ride. Lots of engine breaking and using your gears as breaks. Tires don't last long. And yes Roadsmart II's are nice. Now let's see how much they improved the Roadsmart III. Used to run Avon 79's and 80's. Lucky to get 1,200 miles out of a rear. Very high on confidence running them. Very good feel. If I'm 1/2 way thru a set f tires and going to The Hill Country in Tx I put on a new set. 1/2 or less tread and 800 miles....they won't make it. 
Yes I see now on those last 2 responses I should have hit Quote instead of reply. Oh well, now I know. 

• 3 years later...

Fast warding to the future!  So it's got at 39k miles. Covid lock down saved some mileage, and the fact that I moved closer to work. This bike was flawless. I can highly recommend this bike for a daily commuter, or any riding for that matter. Local trips to Angeles Crest or Ortega HWY provided to be a blast. Still cleans up great and looks new.

Thanks to all the forum members over the years that helped make this bike better. Its time to let it go as I've got a new love. I'll be posting it in the classified, and a few parts I have if anyone interested.

Later

Greg

DSC03403.thumb.JPG.f09b72edbb8c59c40355b04dfb619753.JPGDSC03409.thumb.JPG.7d47b56060e849f8dba1e91fc156a86b.JPGnd fantastic.  

Edited by gwader