Anyone fitted new Yamaha QSS (Quick-shift system)

Purchased my bike, as well as the Quick-Shift, on March 29, 2018, and I've been patiently (ok, so only "somewhat patiently) waiting for the Quick-Shift to arrive. Well, after slightly more than 2.5 months, it finally arrived. As you can see from the first 4 photos, this wasn't the "retail" packaging, either, but shipped straight from Japan (to my dealership, where I picked it up). Initially, I was going to have them install it, as my "mechanical knowledge" is extremely limited. However, after successfully installing the MCCruise cruise control myself (in less than 4 hours, including disassembly/reassembly of bike), I decided to install the Quick-Shift myself. What could go wrong, right? Truth be told, nothing went wrong...not including disassembly/reassembly of bike, the Quick-Shift took less than 45 minutes to install, about 20 of which was adjusting the lengths to match the lengths specified in Yamaha's instructions. Final note: while the instructions clearly indicate holding the shifter in the "up" position before turning the ignition to <On>, it doesn't tell you HOW much force, as the amount of force needed to activate/deactivate the Quick-Shift is CONSIDERABLY more than the amount of force normally used for shifting. With that said, time to get cleaned up, dressed, and go give it a (few-hours-long) test ride.

UPDATE:  Test ride complete.  The quick-shift is absolutely fantastic...although, at the same time, somewhat "strange" getting used to.  Initially, due to years of "programming", your hand naturally wants to grabs the clutch for up-shifting, "forgetting" that it's really not required anymore.  I would like to point out something, for anyone else considering the quick-shift for the FJ (or FZ/MT).  While Yamaha's instructions indicate that it can only be used above 2000rpm, there's a "sweet spot" in the 3800-4000rpm range.  While in this rpm range, the shifting is almost as smooth as your typical car's automatic transmission...no lurching/jerking.  While the quick-shift is, obviously,. not a "necessity", it is well worth it.

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Panther, in your second to last picture, what angle are you taking that picture from? Did you have to do anything radical to get the wire up to the dongle and was it plugged into anything else already?

Panther, in your second to last picture, what angle are you taking that picture from? Did you have to do anything radical to get the wire up to the dongle and was it plugged into anything else already?
The "2nd-to-last" photo was nothing more than me holding up the rear of the gas tank with one hand, and holding the phone (to take the photo) with the other hand.  The blurry "bolt hole" along the bottom of the photo is the rear-left bolt hole for the gas tank.  In other words, I was standing on the left side of the bike, approximately where the side kickstand is located.  In regards to getting the wire up, my suggestion is to take your time - left hand, holding the QSS wire, maneuvering it upward, while your right hand reaches down from the top to "catch" it.  As for the last part of your question, if anything else is plugged into yours, then that's a problem, as the connector the QSS plugs inot is ONLY for the QSS quick-shifter.  There's a "cap" on it (probably for weather-protection), which looks exactly the same as the connector on the QSS wire, which you'll have to remove, but that's it.  The hardest part of the installation isn't running the wiring up through the frame, or connecting the wiring to the connector under the gas tank - the hardest part, and what takes the longest amount of time, is making certain that all the measurements, as clearly specified in the installation instructions, are adhered to.  If I remember correctly, ONLY one of the measurements has a range (and, even then, the "range" is only a 3mm range)...ALL the other measurements are very specific, and need to be followed as accurately as possible.  Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get, install, and enjoy the Yamaha FJ-09/FZ-09 QSS Quick Shifter...just be certain to order/purchase the correct one.  This message will NOT self-destruct...not in 10 seconds...not ever. 

I ordered one from eBay with a claimed part number of BS2-E81A0-V0-00 which appears to match your part number for the most part.

Sorry for the silly question but why did you mention making sure to get the right one? Are there others that are close part number wise that won't for otherwise?

I ordered one from eBay with a claimed part number of BS2-E81A0-V0-00 which appears to match your part number for the most part.  
Sorry for the silly question but why did you mention making sure to get the right one? Are there others that are close part number wise that won't for otherwise?
I mentioned about "getting the right one" for two reasons. First...the "common sense rule"...it's always smart to make certain you're ordering the correct part number, especially when dealing with OEM parts. Second, continuing on the first, when you have a similar part used by multiple (full in the blank...bikes, cats, trucks, whatever), it's even more important to make certain the part number is correct. Using the Yamaha QSS as one example, if you checked the different units available, you might have noticed that, with the exception of the first three letters/numbers, the rest of the part numbers are identical. Since I'm new to Yamaha bikes, I can only assume their coding system uses the first three characters to designate the bike model (and, possibly, the year). For example, Suzuki quite frequently uses the latter part of the part number. That being said, I'm 99.999% certain you ordered the correct unit. Install, AND ENJOY.

Part came and went in today. Pretty straightforward but I ended up taking off the rear gas tank bracket altogether to get my meat clubs in there. Getting the wire up to the right spot was the hardest part that I should have. I should have just run a hanger down to it and pulled it up after taking it off but I was I was motivated not to.

Getting the plug out of the electrical connector was a trick too but accomplished with some needle nose and a long screw driver.

Looking forward to the test ride.

Part came and went in today. Pretty straightforward but I ended up taking off the rear gas tank bracket altogether to get my meat clubs in there. Getting the wire up to the right spot was the hardest part that I should have. I should have just run a hanger down to it and pulled it up after taking it off but I was I was motivated not to.  
Getting the plug out of the electrical connector was a trick too but accomplished with some needle nose and a long screw driver.

Looking forward to the test ride.
Just make sure YOU activated it. After starting the engine, do you see "QS" showing on your display? If so, great...and, if not, it's not activated.

Thanks for the help Panther. Worked a treat. Other than a few scraped knuckles it was pretty easy.

I didn't have any experience with quickshifters before this but it was smoother than anticipated. Only surprise was that it took a bit more pressure on the shifter than expected. Worth the money.

I'm surprised Yamaha hasn't been producing more of these and they're so hard to find. I think they could raise the price and still sell more.

Archived