What do YOU keep under your seat?

there's a new gadget in town that seems handy - will start the bike, power a phone, tablet or laptop.  
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142101997658?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l1600.jpg

I've managed for 37 years of riding/driving without one but...
50800mAh ?, 50.8Ah then. How have they manages to get a battery that size in a enclosure so small?
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member
The seat comes off?
First I've heard of it.... Do tell. :) 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Lithium battery. There are different types of lithium chemistry for batteries. For safety, to prevent overcharging and getting hot or catching fire, the should have built-in electronic voltage cut-off circuits and current limiter circuits.

I have to question if they will start a bike with a totally dead battery. Motorcycle batteries are in the range of 200 cold cranking amps (I am not sure the exact number of FJ 09 battery.) Cold cranking amps indicates max amp out put at single point in time, such as when cranking engine over. This battery in rated in amp hours, which indicates total amps available over an hour period of time. So the cold cranking amps is the spec we really want to know.

I acknowledge they will start a motorcycle with partially charged battery.  I seriously doubt they will start a car with totally dead battery 20 times as stated in their ad.

51Ah is seriously hefty battery. But the other criterion is the maximum current flow - ie how quickly you can draw off that 51Ah of energy (I think that is what you are alluding to, is it not?)

Theoretically you can draw 1A for 51 hours, or 51A in 1 hour. The reality is all batteries have a limit as to how fast you can draw (maximum Amps)... discuss

~Edit~ checking the advert... 

Output:  12V / 16V / 19V --- 2A / 3A / 3.5A    

Checking other forums the consensus is a starter motor will draw 60-150A.  Good luck with that then.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I have a previous version of this one: https://www.amazon.com/PowerAll-PBJS12000R-Rosso-Portable-Starter/dp/B00D42AFS8/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1484588751&sr=1-1&keywords=car+starter+power+bank

It started my R1 and myTTR with completely dead batteries with no issues. And my TTR is a bit hard to start. I have used it with weak batteries on cars also. Works great.

Mine just did not include the nice storage case.

I have a previous version of this one: https://www.amazon.com/PowerAll-PBJS12000R-Rosso-Portable-Starter/dp/B00D42AFS8/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1484588751&sr=1-1&keywords=car+starter+power+bank 
It started my R1 and myTTR with completely dead batteries with no issues. And my TTR is a bit hard to start. I have used it with weak batteries on cars also. Works great.

Mine just did not include the nice storage case.
400A output. 
But I'm showing my age.... I used to know about batteries when they were made of wood..it seems bateery technology is coming on a bit.  There's some impressive stuff out there now.  So I concede. <puts paper bag on head>

• Premium Member
there's a new gadget in town that seems handy - will start the bike, power a phone, tablet or laptop.  
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142101997658?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l1600.jpg

I've managed for 37 years of riding/driving without one but…
Interesting. Although, some of the how-to-use descriptions (i.e. "The car is break downt") don't inspire full confidence in the product...

you can buy the same Chinese made one from Maplins or Radio Shack in a box with perfectly written instructions - 3 times the price

it's a battery pack - hardly needs instructions to make it work

these things are getting very good reviews on a number of forums, starting rarely used garage ornaments across the world

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived